Forum Upgraded To SMF 2.1

Started by Darkness, Apr 27, 2022, 05:32:06 PM

Author
Forum Upgraded To SMF 2.1 (Read 9,575 times)

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 01, 2022, 10:18:24 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 01, 2022, 09:43:34 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on May 01, 2022, 06:34:20 PMToo bad I can't resize the fonts to make the site readable.  Looks like I'll finally have to move on.

Upping the zoom in the browser works in a pinch.

That's what I used to do.  Now it cuts off the rightmost column.  It's a staggeringly frustrating first-world problem.

Sorry, I can't relate, I live in a third-world mess.

Anyway, I'm mostly ok with this update, just that on phone mainly I prefered the old theme I had but on my PC the current one looks fine.

The Alerts system, getting a notification if someone quotes and replies is something I missed having here. As sometimes someone would reply to me and I wouldn't know and only reply weeks or months later. The alerts might make me not miss that this time.

Inverse Effect

Inverse Effect

I don't like the new look tbh. Can we have a feature to use the old version/skin?

Maybe it's my eyes. But everything feels really stretched and narrow. (I'm running on 1920x1080) So i doubt it's the resolution. Like i said, everything feels too elongated. Also my signature is now cut off at the bottom further indication a more narrower picture to me, Losing signature space is a big negative imo. Since now i further have to adjust my signature sizes going forward with limits the space i can create stuff within.

I like some of the features. But my biggest two criticisms are 1) I liked the old color design/skin more. 2) Everything feels stretched or too rectangle/long etc. 3) I don't like the inclusion of a *like* button. This isn't twitter. I think disagreements or agreements on a forum should be discussed not just up voted or down voted. People have posted a lot of unpopular opinions on here. And it's always fun to read them. But like i said introducing a like or dislike button is just gonna cause people to spam it on things they agree or disagree on.

Hope to see tweaks and stuff tho. Always good to see forum updates (even if i liked the old one more)

SiL

SiL

I mostly like the update.

Quick Reply is nice. I also like the alerts and like function.

The mobile header feels unnecessarily complicated compared to how it used to be, and for some reason some thread titles are twice the size of others. It also zooms in when I go to reply and starts to cut off the right side sometimes.

It's better on desktop for me than mobile, but I feel it's mostly just adjusting to the new design. There's nothing much functional about it I dislike.

Rankles75

Rankles75

New site is fugly. Doesn't surprise me though, I've been a part of numerous forums over the years and never known an "upgrade" that has actually make them better.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 01, 2022, 06:34:20 PMToo bad I can't resize the fonts to make the site readable.  Looks like I'll finally have to move on.

That's what I used to do.  Now it cuts off the rightmost column.  It's a staggeringly frustrating first-world problem.

Maybe it's just that I'm using a pretty small laptop, or maybe that you need a truly huge font size, but I have to zoom to what feels to me, far too big to read easily before it cuts off. I hope there's a way to resolve it without some huge pain in the ass though.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Don't know if it's intentional but YouTube links also no longer embed a video on mobile.

May 02, 2022, 09:32:12 AM
Ace3g (the bot) avatar's massive for some reason.

May 02, 2022, 09:33:12 AM
And our names appear just above our avatars twice now.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Strange, everything looks and works fine for me on mobile and desktop. And I like griping.  :-\

Also thanks for reducing multipost wait times @Darkness

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Ay now that's better! Thank you lots for listening @Darkness.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I mean  ;D

Darkness

Darkness

Quote from: Inverse Effect on May 02, 2022, 12:36:27 AMI don't like the new look tbh. Can we have a feature to use the old version/skin?

It's not like years gone by where we've made a new theme and kept the old ones. It's a major forum update and all the themes had to be recreated from scratch due to the significant changes. That's why all the old themes were removed completely. They were too out of date to port over. I tried to keep things as close as possible.

QuoteMaybe it's my eyes. But everything feels really stretched and narrow. (I'm running on 1920x1080) So i doubt it's the resolution. Like i said, everything feels too elongated.

If you're viewing on a desktop, the general widths are exactly the same as before.

QuoteAlso my signature is now cut off at the bottom further indication a more narrower picture to me, Losing signature space is a big negative imo. Since now i further have to adjust my signature sizes going forward with limits the space i can create stuff within.

Okay, I fixed the signature size.

QuoteI don't like the inclusion of a *like* button. This isn't twitter. I think disagreements or agreements on a forum should be discussed not just up voted or down voted. People have posted a lot of unpopular opinions on here. And it's always fun to read them. But like i said introducing a like or dislike button is just gonna cause people to spam it on things they agree or disagree on.

Yes, that's why everybody hated Karma and it was changed. I remember when Alien Experience had it and people were trying to team up with other people to give people they didn't like, numerous dislikes. I think it's more suited to the homepage comments. I do think it's interesting on places like Eurogamer where you can downgrade comments and if they get too many, they are simply hidden. Like I said, I'm testing the water. There's no dislike option here so I'm hoping there won't be any of that happening.

Quote from: SiL on May 02, 2022, 01:02:07 AMThe mobile header feels unnecessarily complicated compared to how it used to be,

Okay, I've got rid of the messages/alerts box on mobile. I can see how it looks a bit busy to have both the forum one and my header one. It still shows when you've got new pms and alerts but it's not as fancy as the forum one where it opens up and shows which ones you have. Ideally, I'd like to have the forum one in a collapsible box that is maybe hidden by default.

Quoteand for some reason some thread titles are twice the size of others. It also zooms in when I go to reply and starts to cut off the right side sometimes.

Is title sizes wrong on the Thread display?

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 02, 2022, 09:08:20 AMDon't know if it's intentional but YouTube links also no longer embed a video on mobile.

Have you got a topic example? The way youtube embedding has changed too because it's part of the bbcode in the post editor. So I've tried to hook into that instead of using a separate mod.

QuoteI don't like that you can't see avatars on mobile,

QuoteStill curiously not an option when using new replies or unread posts.

Okay, added them and avatars are back. I've altered the boardindex to get rid of board description.

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 01, 2022, 06:34:20 PMToo bad I can't resize the fonts to make the site readable.

Do you mean you're using the Accessibility options in your phone browser to make text bigger generally? Which fonts do you feel are too small? I've tried to keep things a similar size as before.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It looks okay now.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Samhain13 on May 01, 2022, 11:29:36 PM

Sorry, I can't relate, I live in a third-world mess.

I can relate to that (🇨🇱) 🤣

Although I have never had problems with the new version, I think.🤔

SiL

SiL

Works and looks a lot better on mobile, thanks @Darkness

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: SiL on May 02, 2022, 08:24:42 PMWorks and looks a lot better on mobile, thanks @Darkness
I agree. I only access the site on mobile and having the avatars back, and with the spacing between posts reduced, it's easier to read.

Thanks!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed