Things you have only just noticed/didn't notice the first time.

Started by The Cruentus, Aug 06, 2019, 03:43:04 PM

Author
Things you have only just noticed/didn't notice the first time. (Read 47,129 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Not really, modern fighter jets all have complex onboard computers that help fly the plane. When a pilot is engaged in an aerial fight he can easily lose situational awareness resulting in a crash. So there is a female computer voice that says "pull-up, pull-up" or "altitude, altitude" if the plane starts getting a bit low to the ground plus a whole host of other verbal warnings.

The problem of course is that the computer voice is programmed to be very conservative (these planes are very expensive) so hotshot pilots are often continuously nagged by this female voice. And this is why the aircraft's computer is called "Bitchin' Betty" by pilots.

So I suspect the nagging voice in the Covenant lander is likely a nod to ol' Bitchin Betty, who is obviously not happy about the hectic turbulence.

Kradan

I'm surprised you haven't nagged me for not knowing that

Kradan

So, I always found 57 years gap between events of Alien and Aliens to be weird. Why 57 years ? Why not 50, why not 100 ? It's usually a rounded number in movies, so why 57 years ?

And suddenly I remembered something: Alien takes place in 2122, 2122 plus 57 equals 2179, right ? 2179, huh ? Can it be a slight nod towards original movie's release year - 1979 ?

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 05, 2022, 01:25:16 AM
So, I always found 57 years gap between events of Alien and Aliens to be weird. Why 57 years ? Why not 50, why not 100 ? It's usually a rounded number in movies, so why 57 years ?

Because a random odd number feels more realistic than 50 or 100.

SiL

I think Kradan is onto something with 57 specifically but yeah, when writing a story if there's no reason for a round number an odd one adds a veneer of realism.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

If I were writing the dialogue, I think "nearly 60 years" or "over half-a-century" would work well just to mix things up.

By the same token, when Lambert said "ten months" in the first movie, I highly doubt she meant exactly ten months.

SiL

By that token I'm sure it wasn't 57 years to the day.

StrangeShape

Quote from: SiL on Aug 22, 2021, 07:14:49 AM
You're not. I think SM even posted video of it earlier in the thread. An Alien steps out of a door and gets shot down.

Really? Well Ill be damned, I was always sure it was just smoke and sound effects

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Feb 05, 2022, 08:42:17 AM
By that token I'm sure it wasn't 57 years to the day.

Unacceptable.  If it's not down to the millisecond then Burke should say so like Commander Data.

[cancerblack]

I hate that I've encountered people who genuinely think like this.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 06, 2022, 08:23:23 PM
2 years, 4 months, 18 days, 36 hours, 15 minutes.

16 inches fully erect. Varies when it's relaxed.

Local Trouble

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 06, 2022, 08:23:00 PM
I hate that I've encountered people who genuinely think like this.

It's the kind of argument that someone might make during a canon war.

Kimarhi

When I was a kid I used to think the 57 years was only in the dream.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed