Riddick

Started by Speed37, Jun 04, 2008, 11:34:44 PM

Author
Riddick (Read 161,089 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Pitch Black is the first film I got to stay up late to watch.

Huggs

Huggs

"Other buildings weren't secure"

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 23, 2019, 09:21:51 PM
Pitch Black is the first film I got to stay up late to watch.

^ this

Quote from: The Kurgan on Jul 23, 2019, 04:15:09 PM
I kinda prefer the last one over the second.

I was not a fan of the more esoteric stuff they introduced. I would have prefered more crime, bounty hunter and prison action than prophecies, oracles and ghosts.

The first game for the old Xbox had it right IMO.

Although we're talking about a less impressive and cheaper film: the criminals, wasteland planets and monsters gave me an Alien 3 vibe  :laugh:

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Well Twohy wrote the Alien 3 script that introduced the space prison concept, so that's not surprising.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Yeah it's not really a coincidence.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

*Feeling like a rookie now* I didn't know that  ;D

Well, there is one thing for sure..."The Chronicles of Riddick" is like Prometheus in the sense that they were trying to change the original formula into something else.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Master on Jul 23, 2019, 08:34:27 PM
I adore Chronicles. It gives this universe whole new spinn. The abilities of main baddie is something different altogether.
If you like Chronicles, read the novelization - it has a whole appendix that goes into the history and practices of the Necromonger culture, it's pretty cool.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I used to hate Chronicles for the same reason I hated Resurrection and to a lesser degree Prometheus (I dislike Prometheus for a variety of reasons and this is just a minor one).  It just didnt feel like the same universe.

But over the years it grew on me quite a bit. 

I think probably the difference between Chronicles and Resurrection is that Chronicles is balanced with Riddick being pretty much the same character in both films with the other recurring characters also helping anchor the movie, whereas Resurrection continues to be an Alien movie with NONE of the same characters.

Ripley 8 is just the bizarro version of Ripley. 

You don't NEED to have the same recurring characters in every movie, but if you are, don't go Ripley lite. 

I'd go PB, Riddick (more true to the original), and then Chronicles.  But the margin between Chronicles and Riddick is very slim.

blood.

blood.

Quote from: Gazz on Jul 23, 2019, 02:59:33 PM
Well, the last one ended with him f**king a lesbian character straight, which was weird for what was the gayest action movie I'd seen in some time (and also considering Chronicles' camp appeal). Nonetheless, I'm in for whatever Diesel and Twohy give us next.

lmao damn i forgot about that... makes me wonder how much input vinnie D has in what gets put to screen...

I thought my friend was joking when he told me xander screws like a dozen women for literally no reason at the start of the latest triple x movie

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Makes you wonder how an average D&D session with Vinnie would look like  :D

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

I adore Chronicles. It gives this universe whole new spinn. The abilities of main baddie is something different altogether.

I liked Chronicles as well. I liked how it changed its sci-fi subgenre from horror scifi to space opera in the middle of the continuing adventures. Sort of like Halloween III switched its horror subgenre in the middle of that franchise. I know some viewers don't like it when the filmmakers stray from a given film universe's norm, but I more often than not, like those hard left turns.

Like From Dusk Till Dawn. I knew nothing about the film, never knew it even existed until I saw it in the bargain bin. Rodriguez/Tarantino crime thriller....sounds good, popped it in. My mindset was fully focused on a real world-like premise crime thriller - meaning, supernatural elements didn't exist in this story - until it turned on a dime with its hard left turn to vampire movie. Totally unexpected. I dig it.

Drukathi

Drukathi

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 23, 2019, 09:41:10 PM
Although we're talking about a less impressive and cheaper film: the criminals, wasteland planets and monsters gave me an Alien 3 vibe  :laugh:

Well, as Andrews said: Here are the facts.
Riddick 4: Furia. Also the name of the planet.
Alien 3. The planet called Fiorina "Fury" 161.
AR. IIRC, Gediman said something like hybrid-name - "Furia".

So. Maybe it's all the same universe?

Anyway, it would be curious to see Riddick versus Alien.
Something like: Ripley crashed on Fiorina "Fury" 161. Then the same plot. In the end Riddick survive and WY redirects him to the Butcher Bay.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 24, 2019, 03:22:16 AM
I'd go PB, Riddick (more true to the original), and then Chronicles.  But the margin between Chronicles and Riddick is very slim.

Yeah. Like Alien, Alien 3, Aliens.

There - https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=61565.msg2409912#msg2409912

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Drukathi on Jul 24, 2019, 11:09:22 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 23, 2019, 09:41:10 PM

Well, as Andrews said: Here are the facts.
Riddick 4: Furia. Also the name of the planet.
Alien 3. The planet called Fiorina "Fury" 161.
AR. IIRC, Gediman said something like hybrid-name - "Furia".

So. Maybe it's all the same universe?

Anyway, it would be curious to see Riddick versus Alien.
Something like: Ripley crashed on Fiorina "Fury" 161. Then the same plot. In the end Riddick survive and WY redirects him to the Butcher Bay.

There - https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=61565.msg2409912#msg2409912
Never thought about the Fury 161-Furya connection... Can't remember offhand, but in the Twohy script is it set on Fury?

Master

Master

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 24, 2019, 02:36:06 AM
If you like Chronicles, read the novelization - it has a whole appendix that goes into the history and practices of the Necromonger culture, it's pretty cool.

I'll search for it though I imagine  it won't be easy to come by in my country.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Drukathi on Jul 24, 2019, 11:09:22 AM

My dad feels that way.  He thinks Alien 3 is a whole lot closer to Alien than Aliens is.

I don't feel the same way though.  Drop a Marine with a pulse rifle in Alien, and he'd have the Alien sinking through the floors in no time.  It's the same movie, but with different circumstances. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed