Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 03, 2019, 11:27:02 PM

Author
Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership! (Read 80,052 times)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Old One on Apr 05, 2019, 01:20:10 PM
The condescension of Perfect-Organism is palpable.
The only reason I want a portion of the concepts we've seen before to return is for verisimilitude.
The rest? Again, it has nothing to do with nostalgia when I'm adamant I want new things,
set in the universe I enjoy.

A comparison of quality is a different subject.

That's not a fair assessment.  You want things to be like Alien and you call that verisimilitude, and if others want things to be reminiscent of Aliens, you call that nostalgia.  It's the same thing.  I'm not being condescsrnding, I'm pointing out the double standard.  I've lost track of the number of posts where you went off on somebody for having an opinion that's different than yours, calling it garbage or rubbish.  I don't get riled up enough to go that route.  As far as I'm concerned, I am just having conversations with fellow fans about the films I like.  I prefer to say that I'm not a proponent of someone's idea or direction rather than calling it garbage, but I definitely don't get condescending.

Alien and Alien 3 or the dark nihilistic films that are finally similar, whereas Aliens is the shining optimistic film which most fans (casual or hardcore) see as the high point of the series.  Which approach is better?  I think it's clear, but there is enough wiggle room for both.  We have now had 8 Aliens films and only one was a film with optimism about humanity, which had heart.  It is time to do another one like that.  It's ok for live, kindness, and humanity to overcome sometimes, and to come out on top.

Huggs

Huggs

Yes, but that love, kindness, and humanity was put through hell first.

I don't think the studio, Cameron, or anybody they'd get to direct an aliens style film has the guts nowadays to take the audience through that kind of horror before we hit the happy feelings. I think if the franchise deviates from Ridley and Fincher's dark capabilities and style, that it will be castrated in both tone and ferocity. It will be more like halo than alien, and I believe that absolutely.

The problem is that it would likely be successful and spell the end of any future attempts at a serious and terrifying alien film. The xenomorph would be demoted to the ranks of videogame bad guy. Like the locusts or the covenant. And the franchise would never get its teeth back. It would become something tame enough to be featured in star wars.

Cameron knew that and could go dark back in the day, but I believe those days are gone. This is the age of excessive shout outs, unwarranted comedy and spectacle, and restrained and largely bloodless violence. It's the tween age. I don't want to see the beast subjected to circus work. I'd rather it was put out of its misery.

Shining optimism has no place in the alien universe, in my opinion. It has made its bones being the aggressive and unforgiving child of human hubris. A shining example of the nihilistic reality of space, and in many ways, certain facets of our own existence. Let every other space movie (besides "life") have the wins, and love and happy endings. We need one outcast to keep things grounded.

The dark deserves its share of fear and death. And nobody does fear and death like Alien.

Perfect-Organism

I think Aliens managed the balance very well.  It was dark.  It was scary, but it finished on a positive note.  It was funny as hell too in spots, but in a dry, realistic way.  Remember, Aliens is the king of quotable one-liners.  Have you ever been mistaken for a man?  No have you?  etc.

There's your blueprint.  That's how its done.  Follow it.  The other thing has been done ad nauseam.

The Old One

The Old One

It's not the same thing, I never said I wanted things to be like Alien- I want them to be consistent with the world of the first three whilist doing their own thing, that is verisimilitude. By comparison wanting concepts back exactly as they were, whatever it is. Is Nostalgia.

Huggs is correct.

Perfect-Organism

Let's disagree to agree.   ;)  I think the connection (whether emotional or perceptual) to the work that has gone before, and the desire for more is nostalgia.  I just don't think there is anything wrong with it.

I like all my fun stuff that has gone before.  It is a part of me.  Sometimes in life, you come across things that just resonate with you - your own personal classics, if you will.  I like to relive them, as much as, and as often as, I like new things and experiences.

The Old One

The Old One

Yes it's pure Nostalgia and nothing more. Right.
Not for me, the world building and storytelling
(powerful thematics) and additional aspects engross.

TCF I enjoyed because it's brilliant, and it maintained the world's consistency
and the thematic consistency of the Alien representing the apathy of the universe
and Dorian Sulder the apathetic Company. Apathy presenting viciously.
But it only utilised it as building blocks for the new story.

No nostalgic video or sound effects to the paper.

Perfect-Organism

It could be more.  But it's nostalgia too.

I don't get why people are so anti-nostalgia.  Anti-sentimentality.

The Old One

The Old One

I'm not anti-nostalgia.

I'm anti-nostalgia for nostalgia's sake, because I've experienced it and it's totally hollow.
The short film Specimen for instance, consistent but creative and nearly totally new.

Perfect-Organism

It's fresh.  And partly new.  Partly nostalgia.  Partly incrementally original.  It's totally fine, and very well done.  I thoroughly enjoyed this one.  I'm not dealing in absolutes here.

Reminds me of one of the last Dark Horse books where they were in a garden facility and there were Aliens.  Anyone remember what that was?  Original Sin?

The Old One

The Old One

Original Sin. The official unofficial Resurrection sequel. It's Aight.

Perfect-Organism

Ya, had a hard time getting into that one, but then it picked up tempo and was indeed aight.

Huggs

Huggs

O.S. definitely benefited from its setting and momentum. It's one of the few, if not the only one of the novels that I could've legitimately seen being made as a film after resurrection. It's not my cup of tea, but it was faithful to the direction of the film it was following.

Perfect-Organism

I wish they'd adapt some of these into graphic novels.

Huggs

If we ever get audible dramas of earth hive, nightmare asylum, female war, and the alien 3 alternates, I could die happy.

Stitch

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 07, 2019, 04:25:39 AM
If we ever get audible dramas of earth hive, nightmare asylum, female war, and the alien 3 alternates, I could die happy.
I'd love audible dramas of some of the older stuff, but I get the feeling they're only making 'canon' entries now, so we're probably SOL.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed