Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series

Started by Ingwar, Oct 08, 2018, 07:05:23 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series (Read 132,528 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

What the hell did I just watch?  :laugh: I have some questions  :-X

Spoiler
Father said that Neanderthal humanoids are due to biological devolution on Kepler-22b. So maybe...

Later, Mother finds the Jockey-like dodecahedron that the hooded figures (neanderthals?) used in a ritual of some kind.

When she opens the helmet there is a humanoid that looks like something in between the neanderthals and the feral monsters.

Also, the prophecy in the cave paintings was made by the Neanderthals / hooded people?

Is there any connection between the Lamprey-like creature and the giant skeleton of Kepler-22b's arid zone?

But the most insane thing of the whole episode was the end.

[close]

My only complaint with this show is the budget. But overall it was a good first season and I'm looking forward the second season.  8)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Oct 01, 2020, 10:12:22 PM
Spoiler
Also, the prophecy in the cave paintings was made by the Neanderthals / hooded people?
[close]

Spoiler
Aye, that seems to be the case. The way I read it (and interviews with Aaron Guzikowski seem to confirm this), the original inhabitants of Kepler-22b were humans. Straight up humans, like you and me. Over time, on the planet, they've been "devolving" into the Neanderthals and, now, into the "creatures" that we've been seeing since episode two. It is also worth pointing out and the children mentioned early in the season that the creature meat tasted like pork; according to accounts from actual cannibals, that is what human meat tastes like. If I had to guess, a group of humans, at some point a long, long time ago, left Kepler-22b and made their way to Earth, while the humans that remained on Kepler began the devolution process for some reason that we are not currently privy to.
[close]

Spoiler
Is there any connection between the Lamprey-like creature and the giant skeleton of Kepler-22b's arid zone?
[close]

Spoiler
Yep. Guzikowski also mentioned that in one of the interviews that was posted a page or two back. The gist is that it is basically the same creature, but with some caveats. The version that Mother gave birth to inherited some of her abilities - the ancient ones were not able to fly, for example (and when we see it flying at the very end of the episode it is making sounds very similar to those that Mother made while in Necromancer mode). The lamprey mouth on this one also seems to be different from the traditional hinged jaw on the skulls that we saw earlier in the season.

It seems to me that this race of sentient snake creatures might be, in part at least, what we've been referring to as the "artificial intelligence force" that has been guiding events on (and off of) Kepler-22b. Whatever the force is, snake or not, it is now confirmed to be responsible for impregnating Mother, which means it is almost certainly the same entity that encrypted the Necromancer DNA in the Mithraic scripture.

Between this "ancient alien" type force influencing us, our mysterious interplanetary origins, and the birth of Mother's child, I feel like a lot of what we're watching play out here as sort of a more competent redux of Prometheus, and I am all here for that.
[close]

My only complaint with this show is the budget.

Will be interesting to see what season two looks like, and if they will be working with an HBO Max budget this time around rather than a TNT budget. Even with the cable budget they had for season one, I feel like they really squeezed every penny out of it.

'Raised by Wolves': Ridley Scott Explains That Monstrous Finale

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/01/arts/television/raised-by-wolves-finale-ridley-scott.html

Spoiler
QuoteLet's talk about the serpent. Its birth alone, through the mouth, is disturbing. But can you clarify how an android is able to get pregnant and give birth to a serpent in the first place?

GUZIKOWSKI It's kind of a weird thing, because it's almost like she's been digitally impregnated with information, as it were. While she was communing with her creator in a virtual space, basically having sex in the simulation, something else got inside and downloaded her drive with information about how to build a new being. In essence, Mother is like a 3-D printer. Her body starts to work on that digital information and it decides that it needs more organic compounds. Because she's an android, her body could download that information and make something out of it. Her body was never designed to give birth, though, so it has to improvise a bit to get the thing out of her. The birth is pretty wild — it never fails to disturb me.

This is really interesting.

QuoteGUZIKOWSKI When I pitched this to Ridley, I told him that I had androids with black blood. He asked, "Why black blood?" I said, "Well, I didn't want to rip you off, basically." He was like, "Don't worry about that."

:D :D :D
[close]

This is a new post-finale interview with Guzikowski and the cast.

Ingwar

QuoteDecider recently spoke with Raised By Wolves creator Aaron Guzikowski and he suggested that Raised By Wolves Season 2 could start shooting as soon as early 2021.

"We're definitely going to get to it as soon as we can. It won't be long," Guzikowski told Decider. "Obviously, we have to see how things are going [on location] in South Africa and all that stuff. But I hope that we're going to be shooting sometime in the first half of next year. That's the plan."

https://decider.com/2020/10/01/raised-by-wolves-season-2-hbo-max-premiere/

Stolen

Great news !
Hopefully Scott does a few episodes!

Can't wait to see the final today, i'm so hyped.

Nightmare Asylum

Carlos Huante's art of you know what from the finale.

Spoiler
https://www.instagram.com/p/CF1T390AhXi/?igshid=86hnm6zjpx26

In his previous Instagram post Huante said that he did not like the execution of Mother's baby on screen, but honestly, it looks like they did his work a lot of justice on screen here. His goblin shark mouth shifting to the on screen lamprey mouth seems to be the biggest alteration (and personally, I prefer the lamprey version).
[close]

Kradan

Spoiler
The man just loves 'em goblin sharks
[close]

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 02, 2020, 10:57:30 AM
Carlos Huante's art of you know what from the finale.

Spoiler
https://www.instagram.com/p/CF1T390AhXi/?igshid=86hnm6zjpx26

In his previous Instagram post Huante said that he did not like the execution of Mother's baby on screen, but honestly, it looks like they did his work a lot of justice on screen here. His goblin shark mouth shifting to the on screen lamprey mouth seems to be the biggest alteration (and personally, I prefer the lamprey version).
[close]

Spoiler
Goblin shark jaws or not, looks like a Goa'uld from Stargate  :laugh:

Back to seriousness, aye! the execution was quite good and I like the lambrea design better.
[close]

Ingwar

Probably the best interview with Aaron so far. Massive spoilers!

QuoteThe series is so reminiscent and offers several touchstones to Ridley Scott's Alien franchise especially the recent Prometheus prequels. Mother feels like she's the bad-ass sister to Michael Fassbender's android David. This isn't often discussed, but buried on the Prometheus Blu-ray is an Easter egg connecting the Alien franchise to Scott's Blade Runner. What were some of the conversations you had with Ridley when you first pitched the series? It stands on its own, but it feels like a wonderful cousin to Alien. Will you ultimately connect Raised by Wolves to Aliens?

Aaron Guzikowski: Obviously, I was hugely influenced by all of his work, Prometheus included, for sure, and when I first met with him, we talked all about it. But there was never any concern with him in terms of how it was going to connect to his other stuff. He more wanted to just kind of take it for what it was. And obviously, there's a lot of homages to the other stuff he's worked on, I mean, because he's built this whole visual vocabulary in terms of modern science fiction. That's part of the vocabulary of the show. I think he was also interested in evolving beyond that and seeing what new aspects we could discover in terms of the aesthetic of all of this and how these things, the themes, connect.

There are a lot of the same sort of questions about what is it to be human. Where do we really come from? All these grand mysteries that we're trying to interpret on some level. Starting from childhood, I've always been interested in religion and trying to find ways to explore those themes. So, it was interesting, but we never talked about how specifically the series would fit into that mythology, nor was that really ever the goal. As you said, it's a close cousin, and it can kind of sit alongside it, but technically speaking, the mythologies don't link up, necessarily.

The terrain where you shoot is gorgeous. Where do you shoot the show? It looks like a real, natural landscape, not studio.

Guzikowski: Cape Town, South Africa. What's so great is that Ridley likes to do a lot of stuff practically, and so we had a lot of real locations, and where we shot in and around Cape Town, so much of those environments are real: the mountains, the weird clouds that kind of fall down over the mountains and cascade down. That happened every morning just naturally, and just something about the topography there, it feels kind of ancient and kind of weird, and you know, obviously, from the states, it's even more so. I mean, people who live around there, it's not so much, but it's just beautiful in every which way; the lighting, and it just transports you in this great way.

When do you anticipate shooting season two? It looks like a feasible show to shoot during COVID in that there aren't a lot of crowd scenes.

Guzikowski: We do have that advantage, and in terms of season two, it's going to be some time early next year, hopefully. And we'll be going back to South Africa, and obviously, in different locations because we're going to be on a different part of the planet; so a very different sort of environment that we're going to be looking at for season two. Like Earth, this planet, depending on where you are, can look very different.

Diving into the final episode: that tunnel that Mother and Father flew into has another side to it. There's a whole other side to Kepler 22B, isn't there, that's vegetative?

Guzikowski: Exactly. Mother and Father think they're on a suicide mission to destroy this child that Mother's given birth to that will eventually endanger the planet and all her other children, but what happens is, they end up going all the way through the planet as opposed to burning up in the middle of the core, as you would in a normal planet. Obviously, there's something about this planet that's unique. They just keep going, and they actually shoot out on the other side of the planet in the tropical zone where they've always wanted to get to, but ironically, they don't have their children with them, so it's a bit of a problem.

So, the serpent Mother gives birth to, if you can expound on that. We were thinking she was impregnated by her human creator virtually, and obviously that's not the case.

Guzikowski: In the final episode, Mother even says, it wasn't our creator; something else put this inside of me. We don't know what that is, but what we do know is when they first arrived on this planet, they had found all these giant serpent skeletons. So, at one point, this thing that she's given birth to did exist on this planet. They were like the dinosaurs of this planet, and somewhere, what it was, it seems that it has somehow manipulated her into bringing these things back. So, in season two, there's a big new piece on the board that's Mother's seventh child, which she's going to have to deal with.

And we also learned in the last episode that there are other humans on the planet. Tell us about them.

Guzikowski: They're refugees from Earth just like the Mithraic, though the Mithraic had believed that their enemies wouldn't have the ability or the technology to ever reach this planet. So we'll find out in season two how that was made possible. There's a very different power dynamic, as you have this new group arriving from Earth, and they're able to keep a lot of their tech when they get here, as opposed to Mithraic whose shipped crashed and are pretty vulnerable.

Now, can we say that Sue is dead?

Guzikowski: No, actually, I can breathe some hope there. I would say that Sue has a very good chance of surviving into season two.

And little Paul might be Sol?

Guzikowski: He's obviously in touch with something. Whatever spoke to him had the omniscience to know what it knew about the lies that Sue was telling to him. So he is in touch with, it seems, whatever Marcus has been in touch with, earlier in the season before he stopped hearing it. It probably connects in some way, shape, or form to whatever impregnated Mother, which we'll get into in season two, trying to figure out who's behind all that.

And the hieroglyphics that Paul finds in the cave?

Guzikowski: The hieroglyphics are strange. Obviously, we see them, and they do appear to be Mother and Father in a spacecraft, and there appears to be, a store of embryos there, and so we have to wonder. I mean, these are cave drawings. They look to have been there for a long, long time, thousands of years. Mother and Father arrived here 13 years ago. So the question becomes, how can this be? What does this mean? Is there some sort of schism in terms of time and space?

Do you think Sue and Marcus will become more aligned with the necromancers in season 2 or the new humans on the planet?

Guzikowski: It does remain to be seen. Though I can say the new humans on this planet, or some of them anyway, would be from...there's a little bit of a power shift in terms of the Atheists and the Mithraic. A lot of these humans would be from the Atheist side, and that's the side that Marcus and Sue basically betrayed, in a sense, when they pretended to be Mithraic in order to save themselves. So they're going to kind of be faced with some of their old friends in season two.

Have you already started breaking story on season two?

Yes, I have. I just kind of kept going after season one, even though I didn't know if we were going to be renewed or not. I knew that if I didn't keep going and I wouldn't have that lead time to keep going. So I took a little gamble on that one. The series is filling up all the parking spaces in my brain right now. So, as long as it goes, I'm just going to kind of just live on Kepler-22b.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/raised-by-wolves-season-2-spoilers-aaron-guzikowski-interview-season-one-finale-recap-1234589159/

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

'Raised by Wolves' Season 2 Teased by Showrunner: What Happens Next?

https://collider.com/raised-by-wolves-season-2-details-hbo-max/

Among many interesting details in the above article (well worth a read if you're finished with season one; it highlight a lot of cool things we can expect in season two), it also makes mention that we may not be getting a Ridley Scott-directed episode in the second season, unfortunately. The way COVID pushed the back half of production for The Last Duel, Ridley might have to jump right into Gucci without enough time to get an episode done in between.

On one hand, this is pretty disappointing to hear. But at the same time, Ridley already set a phenomenal precedent with his the two episodes, and Aaron Guzikowski has been doing a fantastic job steering the ship so far.

Even the show's weakest director, Luke Scott, did some really great work in the finale. The birth sequence was so damn good.

Ingwar

Nightmare Asylum I realised I just posted interview you already had posted ;). Anyway, I cannot wait for season 2 with or without Ridley, but of course I would rather have him directing 2 episodes. He always brings quality as long as the script is good enough and Aaron proved he can deliver big time.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Maybe if Ridley can't swing the season premiere because of Gucci overlap, he might have time afterwards to do the finale. :D

Also, I feel like there is going to have to be some kind of time jump between seasons. It had been what, over a year since season one wrapped filming, right? Those kids are going to have grown a lot since then so it realistically isn't going to be able to pick up in the immediate aftermath of where the finale ended.

Another interview:

'Raised By Wolves' Season 2: Aaron Guzikowski Teases Big Answers And "New Adventure"

https://decider.com/2020/10/02/raised-by-wolves-season-2-storylines-tease/

Ingwar

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 02, 2020, 07:19:06 PM
Among many interesting details in the above article (well worth a read if you're finished with season one; it highlight a lot of cool things we can expect in season two), it also makes mention that we may not be getting a Ridley Scott-directed episode in the second season, unfortunately. The way COVID pushed the back half of production for The Last Duel, Ridley might have to jump right into Gucci without enough time to get an episode done in between.

On one hand, this is pretty disappointing to hear. But at the same time, Ridley already set a phenomenal precedent with his the two episodes, and Aaron Guzikowski has been doing a fantastic job steering the ship so far.

Yeah, it looks like Gucci will be filmed early next year. But consider that they filmed the first season over a period of about 9 months (including a 2 month break after block 1) so it might be possible for him to direct an episode or two near the end, who knows.

Nightmare Asylum

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 03, 2020, 12:17:07 PM
New piece of Huante art of you-know-what.

Spoiler

:laugh:

Spoiler
There are two things that Huante loves when it comes to creature design: goblin sharks and belugas.

After expressing his dissatisfaction with the execution in Prometheus, I remember when he said that his deacon must have looked like a beluga swimming to the surface in the icy waters, thanks to the pale color of the creature and illumination of the Juggernaut.

I wonder how this dolphin-looking snake would have been look in execution instead of the lambrea.  :laugh:
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed