Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series

Started by Ingwar, Oct 08, 2018, 07:05:23 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series (Read 132,722 times)

Rudiger

Only two episodes in. It's all very Prometheus. Not sure whether it will hold my attention. The kid actors are a bit crap.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Thinking about where we could potentially be going later this week in the finale, and I fleshed out my thoughts on Mother's vision a little bit more.

Spoiler
Initially, I was under the impression that the decahedron with the strange face growing out of it was a (not quite so literal) representation of Mother's soon-to-be-born baby, since it seems to be blending the biological with the mechanical in almost H.R. Giger-like fashion (the "face" coming out of the decahedron even seems to be similarly shaped to the Space Jockey's head from Alien/the Engineer's helmet from Prometheus).

Now, though, I'm a little less sure of myself. Rather than a premonition of what lies in the future, I'm thinking that instead it might actually be a glimpse to the past, a flashback of a "younger" version of the decahedron-shaped temple that Caleb/Marcus keeps returning to to seek guidance from what he believes is Sol. There definitely seems to be some kind of force that is on Kepler-22b influencing events (if you ask me, that force is some form of ancient artificial intelligence, and the decahedron temple is the most literal depiction of it that we've seen of it so far). This ancient AI is influencing things on (and off of) the planet. It is the voice of Sol, whispering in the ear of Otho (while he was still on the Ark, proving that its reach extends beyond Kepler-22b, so perhaps it was whispering in the ear of other people on Earth before the Ark ever took off), and then Caleb/Marcus, and now Paul. It is the ghost of Tally. It is Paul's mouse. And perhaps most importantly, it is the simulated depiction of the original Campion that programmed Mother and, now, impregnated her. Because we know that the artificial intelligence/planetary force can extend its reach beyond Kepler-22b, I think it is also safe to say that it is responsible for embedding the "ancient" Necromancer designs in old Mithraic scriptures on Earth so that, one day, when humanity is advanced enough, it will make (or remake) the the Necromancers and one will eventually wind up on Kepler-22b so that the AI force can impregnate it as part of some master plan that we are starting to peel back the layers on now. It is recreating some ancient cycle, (if Battlestar Galactica has taught me anything, it is that "All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again"), reintroducing the Necromancers to the world, getting Mother pregnant by posing as the original Campion that she loves, and ushering Mother's baby into the world for some purpose that we don't quite understand.

If this is the case, then the AI's origins are completely unknown to us. But it must have some sort of biological component to it if it is able to successfully impregnate Mother (and so must Mother and the other Necromancers, for that matter). Lets assume that the Mithraic religion is actually a self-fulfilling prophecy, like that of the Kwistaz Haderach in Dune. The Mithraic only incorporate the decahedron shape into their religion because the voice reaching out to them and manipulating them into their religion has the physical form of a decahedron. It shapes the Mithraic religion around itself so that, when these humans arrive on Kepler-22b, they believe it is their prophecy being fulfilled when really they are just pieces in an elaborate game the force is playing with them. Now we flash back to the vision again and look at the "younger" version of this force with its fleshy, milk-spewing face surrounded by cloaked worshippers. These figures don't look at all like they are dressed in Mithraic garb, so that lends more credence to the idea that this is actually an ancient incident involving some previous worshippers on Kepler-22b long before the events that we are currently watching play out in the show.

That gives me the idea that we could be watching some sort of "ancient alien theory" type deal play out here, with an AI in place of actual aliens. We know already about the Necromancer blueprints being handed to us by this entity posing as Sol. What else, though? How far back does this stretch? Ridley Scott is very interested in creation, as evidenced with the Engineers creating us in Prometheus, and humanity creating artificial intelligence in Blade Runner and the Alien franchise, and artificial intelligence creating life of its own in Alien: Covenant. We seem to be watching those repeating cycles of creation and birth play out here on a grand scale as well.
[close]

Whatever the case, if this is on the money or not, I doubt we are going to have it all cleared up in the finale, so I am very excited that we are going to be getting a second season! I look forward to watching and speculating about this show for a long, long time!

Kradan

I still wanna my sweet third prequel. I don't want to sit 10 hours to know the ending

Stolen

Masterclass!

This show is so fascinating! Another two grandiose episodes.
I cried when
Spoiler
Campion found his daddy!
[close]

I expect David or engineers to land in the last episode anytime

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Stolen on Sep 27, 2020, 02:31:09 PM
I cried when
Spoiler
Campion found his daddy!
[close]

Spoiler
That was the most satisfying "Knock Knock" I've ever heard. :D
[close]

Kradan

Quote from: Stolen on Sep 27, 2020, 02:31:09 PM
https://64.media.tumblr.com/273c1e9ce9d5d55b7d1cb0906a5fe005/db1abff3b944034a-2b/s400x600/46390b409ef82726d180f91eb82d4838fbf09dc5.gifv

She has a long neck. Damn. I'm not watching the series and don't know any of the plot but please can anybody tell me if she get her neck snapped in the end ?

Stolen

Quote from: Kradan on Sep 27, 2020, 02:34:37 PM
She has a long neck. Damn. I'm not watching the series and don't know any of the plot but please can anybody tell me if she get her neck snapped in the end ?

Take a chair, sit down for 10 hours, and watch the best SciFI thing in ages  ;D

Necronomicon II

Craziest and grandest sci-fi in years.

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, it is early days still of course, but so far I'd say that Raised by Wolves is the best science-fiction I've seen on television since the Battlestar Galactica reboot.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 27, 2020, 03:50:15 PM
Yeah, it is early days still of course, but so far I'd say that Raised by Wolves is the best science-fiction I've seen on television since the Battlestar Galactica reboot.

At first I thought it was like Alien prequels meet Kingdom of Heaven. But this show has everything!

I might be a bit biased, but there are a ton of influences from Moebious to other science fiction tropes.

Warhammer 40k (1987) - Dawn of War: Soulstorm (2008)

Metropolis (1927)

Now call me hipster  :laugh: but I think I would have been immensely happy if the war flashbacks were in sepia color, like the intro lol

I mean, there is something really beautiful and nostalgic about those images. Like 19th century paintings or something. It also gives it a dystopian noir atmosphere, like in Scott's Blade Runner or Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 27, 2020, 06:43:04 PM
Metropolis (1927)

I see a lot of Metropolis in Mother's Necromancer mode, too.

I still think it is a damn shame that every screen in Raised by Wolves is holographic because that means there is no potential at all for a PURGE screen. :D

Now call me hipster  :laugh: but I think I would have been immensely happy if the war flashbacks were in sepia color, like the intro lol

I mean, there is something really beautiful and nostalgic about those images. Like 19th century paintings or something. It also gives it a dystopian noir atmosphere, like in Scott's Blade Runner or Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

You know, thinking about this, I would very much be down for an animated prequel of sorts that is done in the same style as the opening credits and deals with the war on Earth. 8)

Enoch

Nightmare Asylum

At first I thought it was like Alien prequels meet Kingdom of Heaven. But this show has everything!

I might be a bit biased, but there are a ton of influences from Moebious to other science fiction tropes.

Also, thinking more about iconic sci-fi imagery in Raised by Wolves......

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 27, 2020, 01:40:01 PM
Thinking about where we could potentially be going later this week in the finale, and I fleshed out my thoughts on Mother's vision a little bit more.

Spoiler
Initially, I was under the impression that the decahedron with the strange face growing out of it was a (not quite so literal) representation of Mother's soon-to-be-born baby, since it seems to be blending the biological with the mechanical in almost H.R. Giger-like fashion (the "face" coming out of the decahedron even seems to be similarly shaped to the Space Jockey's head from Alien/the Engineer's helmet from Prometheus).

Now, though, I'm a little less sure of myself. Rather than a premonition of what lies in the future, I'm thinking that instead it might actually be a glimpse to the past, a flashback of a "younger" version of the decahedron-shaped temple that Caleb/Marcus keeps returning to to seek guidance from what he believes is Sol. There definitely seems to be some kind of force that is on Kepler-22b influencing events (if you ask me, that force is some form of ancient artificial intelligence, and the decahedron temple is the most literal depiction of it that we've seen of it so far). This ancient AI is influencing things on (and off of) the planet. It is the voice of Sol, whispering in the ear of Otho (while he was still on the Ark, proving that its reach extends beyond Kepler-22b, so perhaps it was whispering in the ear of other people on Earth before the Ark ever took off), and then Caleb/Marcus, and now Paul. It is the ghost of Tally. It is Paul's mouse. And perhaps most importantly, it is the simulated depiction of the original Campion that programmed Mother and, now, impregnated her. Because we know that the artificial intelligence/planetary force can extend its reach beyond Kepler-22b, I think it is also safe to say that it is responsible for embedding the "ancient" Necromancer designs in old Mithraic scriptures on Earth so that, one day, when humanity is advanced enough, it will make (or remake) the the Necromancers and one will eventually wind up on Kepler-22b so that the AI force can impregnate it as part of some master plan that we are starting to peel back the layers on now. It is recreating some ancient cycle, (if Battlestar Galactica has taught me anything, it is that "All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again"), reintroducing the Necromancers to the world, getting Mother pregnant by posing as the original Campion that she loves, and ushering Mother's baby into the world for some purpose that we don't quite understand.

If this is the case, then the AI's origins are completely unknown to us. But it must have some sort of biological component to it if it is able to successfully impregnate Mother (and so must Mother and the other Necromancers, for that matter). Lets assume that the Mithraic religion is actually a self-fulfilling prophecy, like that of the Kwistaz Haderach in Dune. The Mithraic only incorporate the decahedron shape into their religion because the voice reaching out to them and manipulating them into their religion has the physical form of a decahedron. It shapes the Mithraic religion around itself so that, when these humans arrive on Kepler-22b, they believe it is their prophecy being fulfilled when really they are just pieces in an elaborate game the force is playing with them. Now we flash back to the vision again and look at the "younger" version of this force with its fleshy, milk-spewing face surrounded by cloaked worshippers. These figures don't look at all like they are dressed in Mithraic garb, so that lends more credence to the idea that this is actually an ancient incident involving some previous worshippers on Kepler-22b long before the events that we are currently watching play out in the show.

That gives me the idea that we could be watching some sort of "ancient alien theory" type deal play out here, with an AI in place of actual aliens. We know already about the Necromancer blueprints being handed to us by this entity posing as Sol. What else, though? How far back does this stretch? Ridley Scott is very interested in creation, as evidenced with the Engineers creating us in Prometheus, and humanity creating artificial intelligence in Blade Runner and the Alien franchise, and artificial intelligence creating life of its own in Alien: Covenant. We seem to be watching those repeating cycles of creation and birth play out here on a grand scale as well.
[close]

Whatever the case, if this is on the money or not, I doubt we are going to have it all cleared up in the finale, so I am very excited that we are going to be getting a second season! I look forward to watching and speculating about this show for a long, long time!

I still can't decide whether it's David Lynch-Esque or Promethesque. Although maybe something in between  :laugh:

I think you might be right.

Spoiler
There are many things about creation, Shaw Mary who cannot have children, Mother (an android) getting pregnant after a "divine" intervention, etc. Also, I think the entity is a very ancient form of AI as you have suggested. It reminds me of Blattlestar Galactica in that sense.
[close]

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 27, 2020, 06:49:42 PM
Metropolis (1927)

I see a lot of Metropolis in Mother's Necromancer mode, too.

I still think it is a damn shame that every screen in Raised by Wolves is holographic because that means there is no potential at all for a PURGE screen. :D

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/XGtmD1yEs1k/hqdefault.jpg

So...I can no longer see it as a spiritual prequel to Alien  :'(

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 27, 2020, 06:49:42 PM

You know, thinking about this, I would very much be down for an animated prequel of sorts that is done in the same style as the opening credits and deals with the war on Earth. 8)

That's a great idea.  8)

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 27, 2020, 09:20:42 PM

Also, thinking more about iconic sci-fi imagery in Raised by Wolves......

Wow, I really appreciate you bringing this up  :o

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed