Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series

Started by Ingwar, Oct 08, 2018, 07:05:23 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series (Read 130,972 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Spoiler
Yep, Paul is indeed the only one apart from Mother and Father that has seen Tally so far.

As for the helmet man, I don't really think there's going to be a big reveal there. He's the guy that raped Tempest, so he's probably going to be more of a foil for her arc. And, assuming the helmet isn't one-time use, I bet we see it wind up on a character we care about after it inevitably crashes his head.
[close]

Xiggz456

Episode 4 was enjoyable with pretty dark ending. Luke Scott's directing in this episode really reminded me of some of his shorts from the prequels. Planning on watching episode 5 once I get off work!

Andrea90

Watched episode 4.
I hope a lot of mysteries will be revealed because some things are confused.
It reminds me Prometheus and Lost a bit.

Nightmare Asylum

Seeing as the showrunner has a five year plan, I certainly wouldn't expect all of these mysteries to be wrapped up by the end of season one.

Now, as for whether this even gets a season two, let alone five seasons, is a whole different matter.

Ingwar

Polish website interviewed Scott, who talked about ... Bowie, naked androids and his shaver :)

QuoteDAWID MUSZYƃSKI: Science fiction, by showing the future, very often gives a commentary on the present. Can viewers read the allusions they contain?

RIDLEY SCOTT: This is a bit like making historical movies. It turns out that we cannot draw conclusions from past events. We do not learn from mistakes. That is why we started reaching for science fiction stories, creating alternative worlds in the future that should be such a wake-up call for us. Showing what can happen if we don't start thinking about the consequences of what we are doing here and now and become accountable.

I have the impression that in Raised by Wolves  you and Aaron Guzikowski are trying to show how great a threat is to connect our lives too tightly with technology.

Of course. Now our lives depend heavily on technology. Many people cannot imagine spending one day without a smartphone in their pocket. I often wonder if we use these devices or if they use us. They use us to transport us from point A to point B. In this case, we have androids designed to start civilization from scratch on a new planet. They are a modern version of Adam and Eve who are to reactivate the human race in Paradise. To fix the mistakes we made on Earth.

So you started to wonder how much artificial intelligence began to affect our daily lives.

It has always fascinated me that when we say "artificial intelligence", we immediately imagine a robot with human shapes. Meanwhile, when I first came into contact with AI, it was a square computer that was designed to make an even better supercomputer. When he does, we'll all be screwed up because this machine will know how limited and stupid the human race is.

How to create the world of the future without copying your previous films?

It's a challenge. I have already made a dozen science fiction films and with each of them I had to make an effort not to copy the previous ones. I fully surrender to my intuition to avoid repeating the same ideas, and since I already have a lot of experience and a well-established reputation, I can afford it. I know it sounds pathetic, and it's like I'm exalted, but it's the truth. Otherwise, I would probably have to listen to other people's instructions. Fortunately, I don't have to. So I sat down in the living room one day and asked myself, "How the hell do I create a world different from what I have made so far." Aaron's text is so exotic, and the world it describes is so wide and fresh at the same time that it is very easy to reduce it to banality. So I was faced with an enormous challenge, and at this age it doesn't happen often to me. Has my intuition failed me we will see soon, when viewers reach for our series and visit the planet we have prepared for them. It will be a great test. I know that not all of my visions have been approved by the fans lately, but tough. You only live once.

As far as I know, you drew inspiration from whatever was around you. The ship on which the androids arrive is similar to your ... shaver.

The simplest ideas are always the best. Of course, a spaceship with a new, improved version of Adam and Eve and human embryos should be spectacular. At least in assumption. And I spent many nights drawing all sorts of sketches of this futuristic ark. But nothing matched. One morning I was staring at my electric shaver and I thought to myself, "Holy shit, this is it!" Simple and futuristic at the same time.

So how did you develop androids appearances so as not to copy your previous designs?

Actors who could successfully pretend to be robots were hard to find. Hope no one translates it to Amanda Collinbut when I saw her, I automatically thought of David Bowie. That's why Mother has this hairstyle and red hair (laughs). Then I wanted those androids naked because they don't know a feeling like shame. However, I figured the HBO authorities might get a heart attack if I showed it to them. It is very brave television, but rather not that (laughs). On one of my walks in London's Soho neighborhood, when I was returning from my office, I walked past an Agent Provocature store where a mannequin in such stretchy clothes was on display. I told my assistant to buy one immediately and we would check not only how it lies on the actor, but also what can be done in it. It also turned out that flexibility has become a brilliant metaphor for nudity for me. This was the logic behind it: they were supposed to be naked, but they couldn't be naked. I also think that if they didn't have clothes, they would attract too much attention from viewers. We would miss history because everyone would be looking at Amanda's breasts or Abubakar's birth, and that's not what we meant.

Raised by wolves, it hits a strong religious tone ...

Because religion is a big part of our lives, whether we like it or not. We come into contact with it everywhere. One day we will find ourselves at a crossroads where we will have to decide whether we want to believe in science or in some mythical deities or in the forces of nature. Each of these paths in the long run becomes equally problematic and boils down to one thing: what is the meaning of our existence. Each religion somehow defines it, thus giving us a purpose in life. It gives it meaning. It connects people and gives them the opportunity to create beautiful things together, and sometimes unimaginably cruel. Our show does not answer whether faith is good or bad. It simply shows its lights and shadows, and the viewer will judge for himself how it really is.

In the series, you were inspired by Mithraism, the cult of the solar god Mithra.

We have deliberately reached for the faith that was on earth even before Christianity. If we go back to the time of the Egyptians, we will see something that most priests nowadays do not fit in the minds of, that is, a complete symbiosis between technology and belief in gods. It didn't bother anyone then. We can see it both in the buildings that were built in honor of the gods and in the tombs. Nobody knows what the architectural thought was behind it, but it is irrelevant now. The Egyptians were fascinated by life after death and used their science to explore this mystery.

https://naekranie.pl/artykuly/ridley-scott-o-wychowane-przez-wilki-science-fiction-desperacko-potrzebuje-swiezosci-wywiad

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Ingwar on Sep 11, 2020, 03:58:21 PM
QuoteI know that not all of my visions have been approved by the fans lately, but tough. You only live once.

Ridley. 8)

Really fantastic interview, lots of great little tidbits in there.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 11, 2020, 04:26:13 PM
QuoteI know that not all of my visions have been approved by the fans lately, but tough. You only live once.

Ridley. 8)

Really fantastic interview, lots of great little tidbits in there.

"Prometheus, Alien: Covenant, HBO Max's Raised By Wolves: The Ridley Scott Absolutely Does Not Give a f**k What You Think Sci-fi Trilogy"

As far as I know, you drew inspiration from whatever was around you. The ship on which the androids arrive is similar to your ... shaver.

The simplest ideas are always the best. Of course, a spaceship with a new, improved version of Adam and Eve and human embryos should be spectacular. At least in assumption. And I spent many nights drawing all sorts of sketches of this futuristic ark. But nothing matched. One morning I was staring at my electric shaver and I thought to myself, "Holy shit, this is it!" Simple and futuristic at the same time.

Wonder if the Ark was also inspired by an electric shaver?

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 11, 2020, 05:53:32 PM

Wonder if the Ark was also inspired by an electric shaver?

https://www.londondrugs.com/dw/image/v2/AAJI_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-londondrugs-master/default/dw88ef25b9/products/L5215504/large/L5215504.JPG?sw=270&sh=330&sm=fit

I bet Giannina Facio / Ridley has one of these

Immortan Jonesy

Nightmare Asylum

If you're caught up to episode 5 (and only if you're caught up to episode 5) check this out; lots of fantastic speculation here about where this is all going:

https://www.reddit.com/r/television/comments/iqouy3/raised_by_wolves_is_heavily_based_off_the/

Enoch

Enoch

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 12, 2020, 04:33:09 AM
If you're caught up to episode 5 (and only if you're caught up to episode 5) check this out; lots of fantastic speculation here about where this is all going:

https://www.reddit.com/r/television/comments/iqouy3/raised_by_wolves_is_heavily_based_off_the/

Its seems that my book is so popular, that's nice. :laugh: ;)
It was a nice read, but lets see where the series will go.

Stolen

Episode 5 was brilliant and much more interesting narratively and visually than the previous two
The Mother's flashback was so beautiful, intense, emotionally strong.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed