Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series

Started by Ingwar, Oct 08, 2018, 07:05:23 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series (Read 131,029 times)

Stolen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 03, 2020, 09:13:01 AM
Do we know if there's any international release sorted yet?

December in France. :(

Evanus

Yeah, gonna have to sail the high seas as well... Sorry Riddles! I'll buy the blu-ray if that comes out though  :laugh:

Ridlazz921

Thanks to a nice treasure map, i found a chest containing the first three episodes. Im ready for some beer and sci-fi :D

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Wow, it's quite vicious and bloody in places. Kind of a matrix feel in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snxPM23Noig

Quote from: Ridlazz921 on Sep 03, 2020, 04:06:59 PM
Thanks to a nice treasure map, i found a chest containing the first three episodes. Im ready for some beer and sci-fi :D

I don't think the Corporal would mind if you were to leave a link to the place marked with an X on here. He wants to see it as well.

We'll all pledge to buy the Blu Ray one day if they release it.

Ridlazz921

Ridlazz921

Well i might consider to...DROP it in a BOX.

So a PM is ok.

Or, i dont know how priavate u can make a youtube video with password connection.
Any suggestion ?

Nightmare Asylum

Just watched all three episodes. Don't want to say much right now but, this is very much my jam.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ridlazz921 on Sep 03, 2020, 04:24:37 PM
Or, i dont know how priavate u can make a youtube video with password connection.
Any suggestion ?

I don't know, but there's quite a lot of non-password RBW stuff on YouTube right now that hasn't been DMCA'd yet.

Scene with the neomorph-like creatures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoUyoLFW7cM

For those who haven't read the full Forbes interview yet:

Quote from: Forbeshttps://www.forbes.com/sites/simonthompson/2020/09/02/ridley-scott-interview-raised-by-wolves-hbo-max-alien-franchise-future-sequel-news/#5c54fbb25831

Ridley Scott Talks 'Raised By Wolves' And The Future Of The 'Alien' Franchise

Ridley Scott and sci-fi go together like peanut butter and jelly. The legendary British filmmaker has returned to the genre with Raised by Wolves on HBO Max, directing the first two episodes.

"I was doing a film called The Last Duel, so I had to move on. I would definitely go back," he enthused, hoping for a second season. "The scripts that Aaron Guzikowski wrote were an inspiration. I would be one of the producers on it anyway because my company, Scott Free Productions, is behind it, but I read the show and thought, 'Oh my God. This is great.' I act very intuitively, and I thought I must do one but then said I'd do two. I stayed with it afterward, in post-production, because I'm a chronic grader, so I kept my hands on all the way through."

Guzikowski added, "This was the dream. Something this big, it's totally execution dependent. I was thrilled that we ended up at Ridley's company but to have him executive producing, but then he decided to direct two episodes. It was a huge relief. You hope for that, but you don't know if that will ever happen. Raised by Wolves is hugely ambitious. It requires a lot of thinking outside of the box. You need a huge amount of experience to pull off the kind of thing we are doing, and then the time you have to do it all? I couldn't have hoped for a better situation."

'Alien' Master Ridley Scott Combines Human And Androids Into A Family Unit In 'Raised By Wolves'
Raised by Wolves is about two androids who are given the job or raising human children on a new planet, untouched by man. However, religion arrives in the atheistic paradise, and the differences create conflict. Creating an epic alien utopia doesn't come cheap.

"You always complain about your budget. I think what we did for the budget we were given was inordinately a great bang for the buck," Scott explained. "That has a lot to do with a great creative team, great control of money, and where you put your money because you can waste so much by inertia, bad decisions, and bad choices. I began my career as an art director, and I know how important that can be, so I chose an excellent one. I was a good art director, but I needed an even better one because I'm going to give him a hard time."

"He, the line producer and I all went off location scouting. We had to shoot in South Africa because it made sense for the deal we had. We found a range of mountains that were in your face for about a kilometer, and every morning this tablecloth of cloud would come in, it would just roll over them, and I went. 'Oh my God!' It was surreal, it was otherworldly, so half the work was done, just by the location."

"It made such a big difference just utilizing real locations and real stuff, so every shot didn't require massive special effects which are time-consuming and expensive," Guzikowski explained. "You're still creating visually stunning stuff that feels alien, things on Earth that tickle something in our deep genetics that feel extraterrestrial. These are things that you recognize, but you don't, and I think that's the sweet spot."

For screenwriter Guzikowski, who is also the showrunner for Raised by Wolves, landing in a market where epic shows such as Game of Thrones, another HBO product, have dominated, they had to provide awe in their own way.

"I think the success of something as big as this genuinely all comes down to character," he mused. "I think if you if you're able to bring people into the story with characters and emotion, then the dazzling of the audience is exponentially more effective, whatever it ends up being. We try to go all-in on that stuff."

"When we do hit these set pieces and all this incredible stuff that's going on, you're really in it with the characters. I think that's what makes the difference, that's when you're experiencing a show on a different level. I think it's more so than saying, 'Okay, we've added another $10 million shot here that will look great.' Whatever it is, as a writer, I think it's all about character."

Scott added, "As a visualist, I say getting it on paper is the hardest single thing to do. Where's the script? Where are the characters? That's what it's all about."

"It's analysis; it's self-criticism. It's a bit like being a writer. Great writers are usually their own great editors. In other words, the writers make the decisions, not the editor. If you're mentally or creatively blocked, you should put it in one side and come back and revisit it. If you're any good, suddenly, it will become very apparent. I still draw my own storyboards. I have to. My boards are literally what we eventually shoot. I'm already evolving on paper. It's a bit like you've got a blank sheet of paper, and you're going to start your book, your novel, or your article, and you don't know what to do. The best thing to do is just stop f***ing around and start. You can always scrap it later."

That's an approach Scott is using in the evolution of the wildly successful and largely acclaimed Alien franchise. To date, it has grossed over $1.3 billion at the worldwide box office. The most recent installment was 2017's Covenant, but Scott's confirmed another film is still in the works.

"That's in process. We went down a route to try and reinvent the wheel with Prometheus and Covenant," he enthused. "Whether or not we go directly back to that is doubtful because Prometheus woke it up very well. But you know, you're asking fundamental questions like, 'Has the Alien himself, the facehugger, the chestburster, have they all run out of steam? Do you have to rethink the whole bloody thing and simply use the word to franchise?' That's always the fundamental question."

Enoch

Enoch

I really liked the first three episodes. Such a unique approach.

Spoiler
It is strange and important to note, though, that religious guys are technologically more advanced than atheists.
Did I get that right? How is that so, when atheists are technocratic and more inclined to rational thinking?
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Enoch on Sep 03, 2020, 06:37:27 PM

Spoiler
It is strange and important to note, though, that religious guys are technologically more advanced than atheists.
Did I get that right? How is that so, when atheists are technocratic and more inclined to rational thinking?
[close]

Spoiler
You did indeed get that right. At least, that's what the show is presenting so far, without us having really seen anything truly from the Athiest-factions POV properly.

I really wasn't expecting the Marcus twist at the start of the second episode at all and that's added a really intetesting dynamic to the character that I didn't forsee at all going in.
[close]

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Some newly released bts photos (and one or two we've already seen):

Enoch

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 03, 2020, 07:12:34 PM

Spoiler

I really wasn't expecting the Marcus twist at the start of the second episode at all and that's added a really intetesting dynamic to the character that I didn't forsee at all going in.
[close]

Spoiler
Yes, that is an interesting twist. Now we have two groups of parents dynamics, and coincidentally both are atheists.
[close]

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 03, 2020, 07:20:06 PM
Some newly released bts photos (and one or two we've already seen):

Raised by David's kind  :laugh:

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
You did indeed get that right. At least, that's what the show is presenting so far, without us having really seen anything truly from the Athiest-factions POV properly.

[close]

That's weird. I mean
Spoiler
I'm not saying that being religious is synonymous with being primitive, but as you say atheism tends to be related to scientific knowledge and technological advances. Although there was a time in the history of the real world, in which rational people had to live in the shadows. Ok, perhaps not in the way presented in Rised by Wolves. But something like the Bavarian Illuminati of the 18th century.

Maybe it is too early to draw conclusions, but it still makes some sense if one takes into account that atheism flirts with political left and religion with right-wing governments & monarchies. Of all, and despite being science fiction, I am excited to learn more about Ridley's curious message in this one.
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 03, 2020, 07:56:40 PM

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler

[close]

That's weird. I mean
Spoiler
I'm not saying that being religious is synonymous with being primitive, but as you say atheism tends to be related to scientific knowledge and technological advances. Although there was a time in the history of the real world, in which rational people had to live in the shadows. Ok, perhaps not in the way presented in Rised by Wolves. But something like the Bavarian Illuminati of the 18th century.

Maybe it is too early to draw conclusions, but it still makes some sense if one takes into account that atheism flirts with political left and religion with right-wing governments & monarchies. Of all, and despite being science fiction, I am excited to learn more about Ridley's curious message in this one.
[close]

Spoiler
This is made especially interesting because, with Mother and Marcus being the core POV characters we're following on either "side" of this conflict, this really boils down to us actually following two Atheists (for the time being), given the Marcus reveal at the start of episode 2. Marcus was presented in the promo material as devout to Sol, but now we know that is (quite literally) just a face that he is wearing and that he is really an Atheist playing at being Mithraic. Mother, on the other hand, is a Mithraic invention reprogrammed by the Atheists. That being said, it seems like Mother is reverting back to default programming a little bit each time she goes into full Necromancer mode... maybe that might ultimately send her back to the Mithraic side, at least for some period of time, which would then puts the two characters in the exact opposite place of what they were presented to us as in episode 1, with Mother as a tool of religion and Marcus standing against that despite the side he is allied with.

I can see this ultimately boiling down to something like Dune, where the religion is clearly a construct of the people, but the characters, specifically Mother, wind up finding use in it as a way to control the people. There are already some prophecies built into the religion here, centered around an orphan. I wouldn't be shocked to see it wind up being self-fulfilling in the same way as the the prophecies that the Bene Gesserit seeded in the Fremen culture and mythology.
[close]

Ingwar

Ingwar

Just finished episode 3 and cannot wait for more. Episodes directed by Ridley are mental. Wolves is very retro futuristic SF with ominous vibe. There are funny moments as well, especially regarding Father-Mother relationship. I'm gonna watch it again tomorrow.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed