Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series

Started by Ingwar, Oct 08, 2018, 07:05:23 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series (Read 131,005 times)

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: Ridlazz921 on Aug 06, 2020, 02:02:27 PM
Well Prometheus is a more fast paced movie comparing it to the Original Alien.

The nature of a TV-show is that you got more time for character development. Some shows might even have to much character and not enough story.
But TV-series has a lot of tropes, filler episodes, multiple storylines, flashbacks etc. It just depends on how good they execute them.

And you say you dont hope we end up with 10 hrs of Prometheus, but remember that Prometheus was very split between who liked it and who didnt. So saying 10 hrs of Prometheus is not necessary a bad thing just because it wasnt to your liking ;)

Actually I'd welcome a 10 hours Prometheus myself. I would mute it, put my headphones on (maybe some Isis) and enjoy it solely for it's visuals.

I mean who wouldn't want a 10 hours Ridley Scott SciFi screensaver?  ;D   

Nightmare Asylum

Prometheus is a fascinating mess of a movie. The script in nonsensical and the editing is even worse, but visually it is unparalleled and I'm very intrigued by the ideas it presents (even if they thematically contradict the intention of the original film). Covenant, in my opinion, improved on Prometheus by getting even weirder with the material, and actually competently putting the movie together. Where Prometheus played things safer, Covenant went wild, detached itself from any pre-conceived notions people might have held about the franchise, and told a story that explored some concepts that I find really exciting.

I'm all for this being eight or so hours of an unhinged Ridley throwing his ideas at the screen. I just hope that, if there is a season two, Ridley actually remains involved and directs a couple more episodes. I know he's a busy man with a hundred projects up his sleeve and would never stick around to be a proper showrunner, but him directing a few more episodes if this is a hit would be very exciting. If this does get a second season, I also wouldn't be shocked if the budget is expanded on from this first one; remember, this first season wasn't actually made for HBO Max. This was a TNT show, so basic cable.

Kane's other son

Looks like Ridley got his wish of exploring a world created and ruled by AI. This looks like the David-centric alien sequel he wanted to do after Covenant.

Nightmare Asylum

With an even more direct Moebius influence, which the man obviously loves.

Will be interesting if any of the Covenant sequel concepts wind up in here. I won't hold my breath, but I'd be very open to it if that is the case.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I was reading through a Moebius Heavy Metal graphic novel called Arzach the other day and came upon a scene where a guy morphs into a very Alien looking egg. Published in 1976. So I guess we now know where the egg morphing scene comes from if it was not already known.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 06, 2020, 08:07:40 AM
Do we have any idea of international release for this?

No.

Quote from: Ridlazz921 on Aug 06, 2020, 08:21:41 AM
Im sure there are ways to find it online once its released ;)

HBO MAX is US only?
Well its not coming to Norway. So i am like, all right screw you i will find it somewhere else.
All this US only shit makes me think they dont want to make money.

Yeah, it currently looks like those of us living outside the land of freedom and apple pie will basically have three choices:

1. VPN
2. The High Seas
3. Wait for the Blu-Ray

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 06, 2020, 03:44:34 PM
3. Wait for the Blu-Ray

Assuming one ever comes. Streaming services tend to be very hit and miss with releasing their original content on physical media. If it is out there in other ways, that is less incentive to keep your monthly subscription going.

Though I will say, things are looking better now than they did a few years ago. Netflix has struck a deal with Criterion, for example. I just grabbed Marriage Story on Blu-ray and will be getting The Irishman later in the year.

RidleyScott99

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 06, 2020, 02:23:45 PM
Prometheus is a fascinating mess of a movie. The script in nonsensical and the editing is even worse, but visually it is unparalleled and I'm very intrigued by the ideas it presents (even if they thematically contradict the intention of the original film). Covenant, in my opinion, improved on Prometheus by getting even weirder with the material, and actually competently putting the movie together. Where Prometheus played things safer, Covenant went wild, detached itself from any pre-conceived notions people might have held about the franchise, and told a story that explored some concepts that I find really exciting.

I'm all for this being eight or so hours of an unhinged Ridley throwing his ideas at the screen. I just hope that, if there is a season two, Ridley actually remains involved and directs a couple more episodes. I know he's a busy man with a hundred projects up his sleeve and would never stick around to be a proper showrunner, but him directing a few more episodes if this is a hit would be very exciting. If this does get a second season, I also wouldn't be shocked if the budget is expanded on from this first one; remember, this first season wasn't actually made for HBO Max. This was a TNT show, so basic cable.
I agree about a second season. David Fincher directed 5 episodes of Mindhunter: 2 in S1 and 3 in S2. I think Ridley Scott could do that and Ridley Scott works way faster than Fincher. Fincher makes 10000 takes like Kubrick. Ridley Scott makes 2 takes like Clint Eastwood.

Nukiemorph

Colonists escaping a doomed Earth, an android with ulterior motives, wolf allegories, alien creatures running around...

It honestly looks like Ridley was told he couldn't do any more Alien prequels, so he just took his ideas somewhere else. I picture him being interviewed later and stating "Swap the villain in Raised By Wolves for David and you can get an idea of where I was planning to go."

Though if that was the case, I don't know why he wouldn't be up front about it right now.

Either way, this looks awesome and I'm excited.

Nightmare Asylum

To those who were asking about how this could be watched in places that don't have HBO Max, it might be worth checking your local TNT station. I just stumbled upon this during a YouTube search. It seems that in Spain, TNT EspaƱa will be distributing the show. Maybe HBO Max acquiring it is just a United States thing?

kwisatz

Same thing over here (GER). Start is 16th September.

Nightmare Asylum

https://twitter.com/furiotedeschi/status/1291492290654076928

Concept artist that worked on the series. Might be worth following the page, in case they're allowed to share some art after the show airs.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 07, 2020, 03:36:09 AM
Concept artist that worked on the series.

Edvard Munch and Jean Giraud "worked" on it as well no doubt.

Spoiler
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 07, 2020, 09:47:07 PM
Carlos Huante worked on the series:

This creature is probably his handywork then?

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 07, 2020, 09:47:07 PM
Odd Studio as well:

Many of the old Covenant crew then, including production designer Chris Seagers.

Nightmare Asylum

That definitely looks like a Huante design, if you ask me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed