Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series

Started by Ingwar, Oct 08, 2018, 07:05:23 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series (Read 130,994 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 07, 2019, 11:53:28 PM
As a comparison, do we know how much staff worked on Covenant?

Spoiler
  ;D
Spoiler
About 300 IIRC
[close]
[close]

I'm guessing they probably built something similar to the Pirate Village they built on Cape Town Film Studio's backlot for the Black Sails TV series.

It's that artificial harbour and 17th century style town at the bottom middle of the picture. You can also see various full-sized galleons scattered about the place.

Raised by Wolves' "town" probably won't have a harbour but I guess it would have those primitive sheds maybe mixed in with parts of the colony ship. A common held idea of a colony ship was that once it reached it's destination it would be dismantled and used to create structures/habs on the new world. The fact that the set is situated out in a isolated spot among the mountains should also help to minimize the need for large blue/greenscreens making for a more authentic setting.

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 08, 2019, 05:52:07 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 07, 2019, 11:53:28 PM
As a comparison, do we know how much staff worked on Covenant?

Spoiler
  ;D
Spoiler
About 300 IIRC
[close]
[close]

Did you count them all? ;D

I think you're right regarding minimising the need of using green screen. It's Earth-like planet. Not like red planet in The Marian where almost every scene regarding Mars was shoot inside the studio.

I'm intrigued about the look of ship interior and technology in general. I wonder what style they're going for this time.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Ha no, I'm not that hardcore.  :laugh:

I think they shot a reasonably fair amount of the Martian in the Wadi Rum as well. At least the rover scenes. The hab interior and exterior were definitely filmed inside a studio.

What fascinates me about Scott's sci-fi films is his juxtapositioning of advanced high-tech and primitive elements. In Blade Runner for example you had coolie-hat-wearing Asian peasants on bicycles trundling past futuristic-flying-police-cars while in Alien: Covenant you had the contrast between ancient engineer architecture/civilization set against the Engineer and human high-tech ships.

And from Ethan Hazzard's (the actor who plays "Hunter") instagram:

QuoteWeek 1 done

https://www.instagram.com/p/Btn8SIahrx_/

Nightmare Asylum

Very nice. Hoping they see fit to release some official production stills soon.

Corporal Hicks

Have they mentioned anything about worldwide distribution yet?

CristianoRonaldo7

I read RAISED BY WOLVES has an official release: January 2020. I hope Ridley Scott directs an Epic soon

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 09, 2019, 05:07:48 PM
What fascinates me about Scott's sci-fi films is his juxtapositioning of advanced high-tech and primitive elements. In Blade Runner for example you had coolie-hat-wearing Asian peasants on bicycles trundling past futuristic-flying-police-cars while in Alien: Covenant you had the contrast between ancient engineer architecture/civilization set against the Engineer and human high-tech ships.

Seconded. I like these anachronisms of science fiction too; like the afrofuturistic city of Wakanda in Black Panther movie or Naboo's Theed city in The Phantom Menace. (Ok, these aren't exactly the best examples  :laugh:). But there you have that cool metting between ancient wolrd and the future. Blade Runner is like when the 50s/noir meet cyberpunk, and I love it.

Ingwar

Futuristic city, off-world colonies, flying cars, spaceships, androids, space monsters and .... non-flat TVs and monitors :)

If Scott directed Alien and Blade Runner today this things would have been changed for sure. It wasn't intentional. You cannot predict everything and you work with tools that are available at certain period of time. Who would have predicted flat screens? :)

Nonetheless I like juxtaposing in movies and books (love steam punk). That's why Dune is probably one of my favourite books.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah I love that stuff a lot. A lot, a lot, a lot.

Less than three.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 09, 2019, 11:10:32 PM
Who would have predicted flat screens? :)

Maybe not Scott, but... (click to enlarge)

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 09, 2019, 11:10:32 PM
Nonetheless I like juxtaposing in movies and books (love steam punk). That's why Dune is probably one of my favourite books.

Steam Punk is an amazing sub genre of fiction. I also like when you combine it with surrealism / fantasy (The Adventures of Baron Munchausen).

Ingwar

I'm waiting for teleportation :)

Immortan Jonesy

Yes, they went too far with that one  :laugh: (and maybe with Warp Drive aswell).

Ingwar

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 09, 2019, 11:16:16 PM
Steam Punk is an amazing sub genre of fiction. I also like when you combine it with surrealism / fantasy (The Adventures of Baron Munchausen).

Or video game like Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. If you like steam punk genre read The Alchemy Wars trilogy by Ian Tregillis. Great read!

CristianoRonaldo7

About predicting the future: Minority Report by Spielberg predicted our near future

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yet another shot of the water trailer with some filming happening in the background:

Two set construction workers during the early stages of construction in December:

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 09, 2019, 07:11:31 PM
Have they mentioned anything about worldwide distribution yet?

Not as far as I know. It might help to look at their previous TV series's to see how distribution were handled in those cases. I'm pretty sure it will eventually appear on all major TV channels worldwide as well as DVD/BD. It cost quite a bit to make so TNT will be keen to defray their expenses asap.

Quote from: CristianoRonaldo7 on Feb 09, 2019, 09:59:45 PM
I read RAISED BY WOLVES has an official release: January 2020. I hope Ridley Scott directs an Epic soon

Do you have a link for us, Pierre? And word is Raised by Wolves is quite the Epic.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed