Favourite TV Series

Started by The Ultimate Predator, Nov 22, 2006, 03:35:44 PM

Author
Favourite TV Series (Read 314,205 times)

i haven't seen it before so i assumed it was a newer one,

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jun 02, 2011, 05:36:39 AM
How is that good? That's just wallowing in your own shit. And I don't mean to insult you, but that's pretty much them accepting that they make the show for idiots (now at least; used to be funny. "DING!").

Because they're shoving it in the viewer's face saying "We really don't care if you think it's boring or not, we'll do it anyway". I like shows that mock the viewers who don't like it.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 03, 2011, 02:47:05 PM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jun 02, 2011, 05:36:39 AM
How is that good? That's just wallowing in your own shit. And I don't mean to insult you, but that's pretty much them accepting that they make the show for idiots (now at least; used to be funny. "DING!").

Because they're shoving it in the viewer's face saying "We really don't care if you think it's boring or not, we'll do it anyway". I like shows that mock the viewers who don't like it.
Not "boring", more like "pointless and stupid". What you're describing is ignorance, you should know. And it's petty. The show is supposed to be funny, but really it's just a big "f**k you" to anybody who wants to laugh. The viewers that do like it... well the less I say about them the better, but you get the point.

"We don't care, we'll do it anyway"? Oh please, that's a great way to f**k up what used to be a good show-- and yes, as if they didn't notice the steep decline in quality. Pfft. As long as the drones keep tuning in, right?

Quote from: Huol on Jun 02, 2011, 01:46:46 AM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jun 02, 2011, 01:19:20 AM
The Venture Brothers
As If I didn't love you enough.
Muah.

Daken

Daken

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jun 02, 2011, 07:02:21 AM
It ran it's course as planned by the Ronald D. Moore and David Eick. Thank god.
I really liked the show until the last few seasons. I haven't finished season 4.5 yet but watched the first episode. Don't like how they never explained how Starbuck came back from the dead.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

They never out-and-out tell you, but I have my theories.

Daken

Daken

What are they?
Spoiler
I thought maybe a Cylon....
[close]
:-\

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Daken on Jun 04, 2011, 05:45:11 AM
Spoiler
Don't like how they never explained how Starbuck came back from the dead.
[close]
Might wanna spoiler tag that really fast for the people that haven't gotten that far in the series yet.  :-X

Answer:
Spoiler
She's not of 'just that generation', she's be a recurring symbol for all generations before her-- she influenced and lead the Kobol Cylons (Tory, Tigh, Anders, Tyrol, and [REDACTED]) to find a new home of their own (which was the Earth they had just found in the series). You may recall the fact that Starbuck is to lead Humanity to it's end... and as she tried, what the colonial dreamt of being 'Earth'. Was 'leading humanity' to it's end a destrucive meaning? Or was it more to do with a place to 'rest'? Keep watching, I've told you a bit beyond what you know by now, but there are some large details in dialogue that is easy to miss that I've just filled you in on... hopefully allowing you to appreciate the finale more.  :)

On a side note, Six had already mentioned way back in Season 2 that she was what humanity refers to as an 'angel', but she is 'assigned' to Gaius; a man that is to influence (and has influenced) major decisions in their journey to Earth... Also remember the Gaius 'angel' that Caprica Six sees... one representative for each race.
[close]

Daken

Daken

Spoiler
That does make sense after they show the remains of Starbuck on earth in the first episode of season 4.5.
[close]

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Daken on Jun 04, 2011, 06:41:24 AM
Spoiler
That does make sense after they show the remains of Starbuck on earth in the first episode of season 4.5.
[close]
Spoiler
Yup, that was her original self. Only through 'screwing up' and dying in this generation, she was brought back with vague memories of seeing Earth. That's also why she reported that it was habitable. The transponder was basically just it beaconing her back. This generation, she was brought back in an human form, and born a human... for that reason I haven't been able to find out yet, but I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

That's one reason I love the show, there is BIG stuff within seemingly small details.
[close]

Daken

Daken

Looking back on it now I should have seen this.  :laugh: I do re-watch the season sets.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Getting back to Family Guy...
Even when the general quality level was higher, it still had a couple of major problems. One of which is a main character who is absolutely odious and never, ever remotely funny. The "joke" of the character is that he's a complete idiot and therefore can get away with saying/doing anything, but you often get the sense that it's how the writers really think. A lot of the stuff he spouts is pretty hateful, but he never gets his comeuppance, just frequently winds up banging Lois. Furthermore... compare that with the idiot/arsehole foils of The Simpsons and South Park (Homer and Cartman): both of them have innate charm that makes them watchable in spite of anything. Not that Homer is frequently portrayed with a nasty or controversial side, but an alcoholic loser with an enabling, inexplicably trophy wife isn't inherently likeable. Cough, Family Guy. Cough indeed.
Another thing I frequently hated about it was all the female characters being judged from a sexualised point of view. Meg is ugly, therefore everyone hates her and she's considered worthless; all her storylines revolve around this. Lois is a hot nympho, she gets to be the babyface. Never mind that being married to Peter must make her absolutely f**king insane.

Still... like Predator Queen mentioned, regardless of the overall tone of the show, Family Guy has produced some fantastic jokes over the years. For some reason thinking of the "cool whip" sequence always cracks me up. Generally speaking, the less focus there is on Peter, the better the show is. It's hard to go wrong with Stewie, he has a bit of a Cartman factor.

On the subject of which, in my opinion South Park's general quality level has been slipping for around six years now. I think they got seriously burned out making Team America, and since then there's been a frequency of poor episodes that they very rarely had before. The constant stream of madcap randomness that made the show such a hit in the first place is long gone, and nowadays even in the better episodes it feels like every joke takes a long time coming, without sufficient payoff to make the wait feel worthwhile. There's enough quality to keep me watching, but I used to be f**king obsessed with this show.

Stepping away from the animated stuff, even Big Bang Theory isn't as good as it used to be. Relying on the same selection of seasoned comedy writers for each episode certainly ensures a constant rate of easy laughs, but their writing isn't as smart, and the characters aren't as sweet. It also feels more than a little like Two And A Half Men. But, again, still funny enough to keep me watching...

The one ongoing comedy show I'm aware of (and I'm sure there are plenty I'm not...) that's maintained high quality is The IT Crowd. LOVE that show, and it's bloody rare to see a show hinging on farce these days. I just wish they made it more often.

If I didn't say "in my opinion" before anything, pretend I did...

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Battlestar Galactica is the most captivating show I've ever seen.  I'm in love.

Spoiler
RIP Battlestar Pegasus, all hail the return of non-fat Apollo, and when is Saul going to get a proper patch and get that goddamn bandage off his face?  He would look badACE with a patch :D  That's where I'm at, and the show just keeps being awesome.  That's partially why I'm so excited for Colonial Marines, and have invested much faith in the plot.
[close]

RazorSlash

RazorSlash

To be honest, I barely watch TV anymore. Family Guy has its moments, but it isn't good anymore. South Park has gotten predictable and dull. The Simpsons flat out sucks now. American Dad is decent, but it still isn't as entertaining as it should be. Hell, the only decent shows I can hear about don't seem to air in the US.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Well if you're only watching cartoons, you're probably sick of them. Try live shows.

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jun 06, 2011, 05:24:01 PM
Battlestar Galactica is the most captivating show I've ever seen.  I'm in love.

Spoiler
RIP Battlestar Pegasus, all hail the return of non-fat Apollo, and when is Saul going to get a proper patch and get that goddamn bandage off his face?  He would look badACE with a patch :D  That's where I'm at, and the show just keeps being awesome.  That's partially why I'm so excited for Colonial Marines, and have invested much faith in the plot.
[close]
Spoiler
I love fat Lee and the Pegasus, I thought the Pegasus's story ark was the best thing in the show it's departure was kind of when I stopped really loving the show.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed