James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy

Started by Darkoo, Jul 18, 2007, 04:12:35 PM

Author
James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy (Read 710,350 times)

Kradan

Kradan

I didn't think I'd ever say that but that's one creepy Sigourney pic right here

Immortan Jonesy

🙈

Spoiler
~Alternate 👀
[close]

Stitch

Quote from: T Dog on Sep 28, 2022, 01:32:31 PM
Quote from: kwisatz on Sep 27, 2022, 07:59:32 PMAs long as I get my Abyss Blu-ray
Oh you'll get your Abyss blu ray and it'll incorrectly colour timed and DNR'd to oblivion.
Nooooooooo. Give me a nice 4K of the Abyss Special Edition, full of film grain and accurate tones. I will accept nothing less.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I love the first one, although I don't watch it that often. The absolute visual riot is of course amped up this time around and I'm a sucker for underwater adventures... I really can't wait to see Avatar 2.

NecronomIV

Quote from: SiL on Sep 28, 2022, 10:22:38 AMWhich made me realise if there's not shit jumping out it adds nothing to the experience.

"Annoying when it's a gimmick and pointless when it's not."

I had that realisation when I saw Prometheus in 3D. When you notice it, you notice it, which means you're out of the story. When you don't notice it, why bother?

The only film I thought it worked in was Dredd (2012). Made sense for the dreamy hallucination slow-time scenes.

BlueMarsalis79

100% correct, because in Dredd it works not only on a spectacle level but it is also justified by the narrative itself, in everything else it is an aside from the film.

SiL

Quote from: NecronomIV on Oct 01, 2022, 12:17:49 PM
Quote from: SiL on Sep 28, 2022, 10:22:38 AMWhich made me realise if there's not shit jumping out it adds nothing to the experience.

"Annoying when it's a gimmick and pointless when it's not."

I had that realisation when I saw Prometheus in 3D. When you notice it, you notice it, which means you're out of the story. When you don't notice it, why bother?

The only film I thought it worked in was Dredd (2012). Made sense for the dreamy hallucination slow-time scenes.
Using it to distinguish reality and the computer world in Tron was neat, but there again it's a gimmick. Although I guess in its case not an annoying one.

Immortan Jonesy

kwisatz

kwisatz

"We have walesign the likes of which even God has never seen!" 

Immortan Jonesy

Lieutenant Ripley! :D 

Immortan Jonesy

Nightmare Asylum

https://youtu.be/d9MyW72ELq

Spoiler
OK, Quaritch crushing his own skull is an all-timer of a visual.
[close]

This rocks. Bring on next month.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed