Upcoming Movies You Want To See

Started by The Ultimate Predator, Jan 20, 2008, 06:08:33 PM

Author
Upcoming Movies You Want To See (Read 392,641 times)

Shasvre

Shasvre

Alright, thanks. I will definitely give the original a look, then I'll see how I feel about it. :D

Nightmare Asylum

I know a lot of people absolutely hate it, but I found Godzilla: Final Wars to be fun, if you know what you're getting into. Godzilla vs Biollante was a great one as well, and is a direct sequel to Return of Godzilla (or Godzilla 1984, depending on which version you buy).

And to be honest, I've actually never seen Gojira, only the Americanized Godzilla: King of the Monsters. :-\

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 12, 2012, 06:53:18 PM
And to be honest, I've actually never seen Gojira, only the Americanized Godzilla: King of the Monsters. :-\
*slap*

Mmm, my sweet deelishus Criterion blu-ray of that comes tomorrow (hopefully).

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 12, 2012, 06:47:36 PM
Quote from: Laufey on Aug 12, 2012, 06:44:46 PM
I guess you mean Godzilla? I'm not much of a Godzilla fan to be honest, I have only seen the American version from '98. But I guess it could be interesting to check it out. :)

You should give the original and a few of the better sequels a go. While most of the films are cheesy to the point where only a die-hard Godzilla fan can tolerate them, there are a few gems in the bunch that you may like :)

Yeah, Nightmare is right. There are some really sinkers that only nostalgia makes watchable. I'd whole heartily recommend the original uncut Japanese version of the 1954 film.

And at this point I feel like I may like to see Cloud Atlas and Life of Pi ... so adding them to my short list.

Quote from: Cvalda on Aug 12, 2012, 06:49:41 PM
The original version of Gojira (1954) and Shusuke Kaneko's GMK (2001), and maybe the original version of Return of Godzilla (1984). The rest are strictly for crazy genre fans and emotionally stunted man-children.

I kid, I kid.

Sorta.

Stereotypes are there for a reason!

Spoiler
My favorite cheesy guilty pleasure Godzilla film has got to be Godzilla vs Hedorah.

Spoiler
Those animated segues ...

Spoiler
Even though Godzilla looked like a deep friend Kermit.  :laugh:

[close]
[close]
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Cvalda on Aug 12, 2012, 06:55:35 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 12, 2012, 06:53:18 PM
*slap*

Mmm, my sweet deelishus Criterion blu-ray of that comes tomorrow (hopefully).

What's different about that version, anyways? Maybe I'll buy it; you people here seem to love it.

Also, Godzilla's Revenge...best movie ever.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 12, 2012, 06:59:37 PM
What's different about that version, anyways? Maybe I'll buy it; you people here seem to love it.
It's a completely different movie. The US edition cut over FORTY MINUTES out of it, for starters. It's much darker and far, far more powerful as a film. Godzilla's rampage on Tokyo is probably the most arresting single sequence in any classic monster film.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I GOT GIANT EYEBALLS

GIANT EYEBALLS ARE COOL

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Cvalda on Aug 12, 2012, 07:03:39 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 12, 2012, 06:59:37 PM
It's a completely different movie. The US edition cut over FORTY MINUTES out of it, for starters. It's much darker and far, far more powerful as a film. Godzilla's rampage on Tokyo is probably the most arresting single sequence in any classic monster film.

Sorry, I know about the differences between Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Gojira. I meant to ask what was so special about the Criterion Blu Ray?

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 12, 2012, 07:05:41 PM
I meant to ask what was so special about the Criterion Blu Ray?
It is super expensive and prestigious, of course! :laugh:

But seriously--the transfer is amazing, the film has been digitally restored and remastered, there are lots of great extras. Bottom line is that it is the definitive presentation of the film on home video. Even better than the Japanese Blu-ray release.

Nightmare Asylum

Ah, OK. Guess I'll have to keep an eye out, then. :)

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Aug 12, 2012, 07:04:38 PM
I GOT GIANT EYEBALLS

GIANT EYEBALLS ARE COOL

Is that what those were supposed to be?? The only reason I ask is because you are the great Omegazilla: Knower of all things behind the scenes related to kick ass creature flicks.

I always, always thought they were supposed to be Hedorah eggs.

Spoiler
Well ... except for when I thought they were Hedorah's testicles.
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

You guys are making me wonder if I ever want to see that movie. I heard that it was very...strange. Isn't there a scene with the main character hallucinating or something? And then, of course, Godzilla's infamous flying scene.

Cvalda

Cvalda

It's a dumb, awful, stupid movie. Like most Godzilla flicks, actually :laugh: But it has a certain... naive charm.
Spoiler
[close]

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 12, 2012, 07:13:15 PM
You guys are making me wonder if I ever want to see that movie. I heard that it was very...strange. Isn't there a scene with the main character hallucinating or something? And then, of course, Godzilla's infamous flying scene.

It's my favorite 'over the top' Godzilla film. It's has a very acid/70's trippy charm to it. It also has occasionally brilliant, and chilling portions seen from a child's point of view. (Handles MUCH better than Godzilla's Revenge)

The scene where the dad leaves the kid playing in the rocky shallows as he goes scuba diving is one such scene. The creature (much smaller) attacks the child but is fended off and retreated towards the unknowing father. The kid is screaming to warn his dad ... and he is just standing there screaming at the ocean. All alone. Really cool really. Cvalda, you grump!  :P

It is also one of the first really dirty, grimy, dark sequels with people getting melted down to bloody bones in an acid mist emitted from the creature. Pretty high body count for a Godzilla film in terms of on screen death and the aftermath.

Now Godzilla does haul off and 'fly' at one point. Hard to take even for a Godzilla flick. But given the other 'moments' such as the highland jig from Monster Zero, or the Talking monsters from Godzilla's Revenge and Godzilla vs Gigan/Godzilla on Monster Island ... it's forgivable. Just not ... forgettable.  :laugh:

Nightmare Asylum

Lets not forget the volleyball in Godzilla vs Hedorah :D

Or Jet Jaguar's existance at all in Godzilla vs Megalon, for that matter.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed