Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series

Started by Ingwar, Oct 08, 2018, 07:05:23 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series (Read 133,025 times)

Nightmare Asylum

https://twitter.com/Abzybabzy/status/1532625626976378881

Welp.... read through the whole thread here. HBO Max isn't picking the show up for a third season. The team is looking for a new home but...... who knows if anything will actually come of that. :/

I am so, so bummed by this...

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Wow, I thought it was proving quite popular? Maybe it's more of a cult show though? Too weird for mainstream audiences?  :(

Xiggz456

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 03, 2022, 11:07:41 AMhttps://twitter.com/Abzybabzy/status/1532625626976378881

Welp.... read through the whole thread here. HBO Max isn't picking the show up for a third season. The team is looking for a new home but...... who knows if anything will actually come of that. :/

Disappointing news. He suggests moving the series to a new home so I wonder what kind of legal hoops Scott-Free would have to navigate in order to do so. I believe the show was originally supposed to be on TNT so hopefully they already have the broadcasting rights to move the show somewhere else. Which is a similar scenario to what happened with "The Expanse" with the production company moving from SyFy to Amazon (btw I would strongly recommend watching). But I'm still shocked as this seemed like thee premier show on HBO Max.

Immortan Jonesy

Nightmare Asylum

I'd love for this to get picked up somewhere else, it's one of my favorite things on television at the moment. But, God... It is so hard to get my hopes up right now.

This is so beyond upsetting.

Ingwar

What? f**king hell! Seriously

Nightmare Asylum

'Raised By Wolves' Star Says It's About To Get Cancelled By HBO Max, Asks For Fan Help

QuoteWell this is...a bit strange. We know the grand Discover/Warner merger is about to happen, and it's resulted in some pretty odd things like the CW cancelling half its slate of series. But some HBO Max series may be on the cutting block as well, including one of the best sci-fi shows on TV, Raised by Wolves.

The weird part about this is that the cancellation has not been announced, but one of the stars of the show, Abubakar Salim, who plays Father, has taken to the show's subreddit to say it's already privately been cancelled at HBO Max and they need fans to make noise about it so it can find a new home elsewhere, presumably a rival streaming service. Here's part of the message he posted on Reddit a few hours ago:

"Power in community. Finding a new home.

It's not surprising, especially after the news of these mergers and what is happening at Warner, that a lot of shows are not having their stories finished.

And unfortunately, one of those shows is Raised by Wolves.

Nothing has been shared yet. But there is a reason for that. An important one. And one which I'm here to share with you now. There is hope.

You see, we're in a unique position: we have a fully fleshed out and planned storyline, a Goliath of a production team behind us, incredible reception from critics and reviewers alike, and most crucially, a community base that is so strong internationally, it can not be ignored.

The reason the cancellation hasn't been announced is because there's still a chance the story can continue, and be finished at a new home."

Salim goes on to ask fans to go on social media and start one of those "fan movement" campaigns that can sometimes lead to the renewal of shows. Salim actually references the Snyder Cut as a time when fans rallied to get a seemingly impossible project made by simply being loud enough (very, very loud, in that case). From the sound of it, it seems like the Raised by Wolves' cancellation is already done and cannot necessarily be undone, and the goal is to find a new home for the show outright.

On the one hand, I'm not shocked about this. Raised by Wolves has to be a pretty expensive production given its sci-fi nature and blockbuster feel. And yet it is not really an attention-grabber, and I would not be surprised to learn it's not doing huge viewership numbers on HBO Max.

That said, I love this show. Now that The Expanse is over, this is easily one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite space-based sci-fi series out there. It has echoes of something like Prometheus, but is much weirder and much more compelling. I really do hope it gets saved.

But yes, it's a longshot. I'm not sure if the fanbase can rally with the fervor needed to get it moved elsewhere, but I certainly agree with Salim that they should try. We'll see if there's any official news on this to come, as I imagine Salim maybe wasn't supposed to exactly go on reddit talking about this pre-cancellation early...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2022/06/03/raised-by-wolves-star-says-its-about-to-get-cancelled-by-hbo-max-asks-for-fan-help/

And some buzz from a couple relatively big Twitter accounts:

https://twitter.com/TheSpaceshipper/status/1532720408872493056
https://twitter.com/SiddhantAdlakha/status/1532679914427756544

I'm really not going to hold my breath on any of this, 'cause I know how these things usually go, but man... it sure would be nice if they could get picked up somewhere else and finish this thing. If anyone were to do it, the only potential home I could really imagine is Amazon, since they did this once already with The Expanse and Scott Free is already over there developing that Blade Runner 2099 series.

TilotnyWorshiper28

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Jun 03, 2022, 11:45:56 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 03, 2022, 11:07:41 AMhttps://twitter.com/Abzybabzy/status/1532625626976378881

Disappointing news. He suggests moving the series to a new home so I wonder what kind of legal hoops Scott-Free would have to navigate in order to do so. I believe the show was originally supposed to be on TNT so hopefully they already have the broadcasting rights to move the show somewhere else. Which is a similar scenario to what happened with "The Expanse" with the production company moving from SyFy to Amazon (btw I would strongly recommend watching). But I'm still shocked as this seemed like thee premier show on HBO Max.
Disney gotta pick them up so we can lean even more into the alien concepts

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Spoiler
Left with Daniels Mother knowingly trapped in a pod by the surprise evil android David Grandmother who is about to do some incredibly vile experiments on the surviving human population in order to further their evolution into something else...

And an upside-down, crucified Marcus, of course.
[close]

God, I so badly hope this show doesn't just come grinding to a halt here at season two's finale. It is such a long shot now but I want to see this actually conclude so, so badly.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/NiamhAlgar/status/1532773292918071296

And from an interview with Guzikowski that happened right after the season two finale released:

https://twitter.com/megsokay/status/1532773430617063425

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

This is getting quite a lot of publicity. It's all over twitter.

I'm going to pre-order the Season 1 Blu Ray now, hope it helps.

Nightmare Asylum

Annnnnd here is HBO Max's official statement:

'Raised by Wolves' Canceled at HBO Max After Two Seasons

QuoteRidley Scott's "Raised by Wolves" has been canceled after two seasons at HBO Max, Variety has confirmed.

Originally ordered to series at WarnerMedia-owned cable channel TNT in 2018 before landing at HBO Max ahead of its series premiere in September 2020, the sci-fi drama centers on two androids tasked with raising human children on a mysterious virgin planet. As the burgeoning colony of humans threatens to be torn apart by religious differences, the androids learn that controlling the beliefs of humans is a treacherous and difficult task.

"While we are not proceeding with a third season of Raised by Wolves, we are beyond grateful to the stellar cast and crew, our creators Aaron Guzikowski, Ridley Scott, David W. Zucker, and the entire team at Scott Free Productions, for their beautiful artistry and unique ability to immerse fans into the world of Kepler-22b," HBO Max said in a statement to Variety Friday.

When "Raised by Wolves" was renewed for a second season soon after its premiere, HBO Max said it was the top performing HBO Max original since the platform's launch four months prior. The second season premiered Feb. 3.

"Raised by Wolves" stars Amanda Collin as Mother, Abubakar Salim as Father, Travis Fimmel as Marcus, Niamh Algar as Sue and Kim Engelbrecht as Decima. Additional cast members for Season 2 include Winta McGrath, Jordan Loughran, Matias Varela, Felix Jamieson, Ethan Hazzard, Aasiya Shah, Ivy Wong, Peter Christoffersen, Selina Jones, Morgan Santo, James Harkness, and Jennifer Saayeng.

The series was created by Aaron Guzikowski, who executive produces along with is Scott and his Scott Free Productions banner, David W. Zucker ("The Man in the High Castle"), Jordan Sheehan ("The Terror"), Adam Kolbrenner ("Prisoners") and Mark Huffam ("The Martian"). Scott directed the first two episodes of "Raised by Wolves" Season 1, marking his television series directorial debut for American audiences.

The cancellation of "Raised by Wolves" comes at a time when many changes are afoot at HBO Max's parent WarnerMedia, which was sold by AT&T and combined with Discovery to create Warner Bros. Discovery. The new regime, led by Discovery CEO David Zaslav, has shaken many things up in just over a month of ownership, including scrapping streamer CNN+ and shutting down production of new scripted series at TNT and TBS.

Salim first shared the news that "Raised by Wolves" was in danger earlier Friday, writing in a series of tweets: "It's not surprising, especially after the news of the mergers and what is happening at Warner, that a lot of shows are not having their stories finished. And unfortunately, one of those shows is Raised by Wolves. Nothing has been publicly shared yet. And there is a reason for that. An important one. One which I'm here to share with you now. There is hope. You see, we're in a unique position: we have a fully fleshed out and planned storyline, a Goliath of a production team behind us, incredible reception from critics and reviewers alike, and most crucially, a community base that is so strong internationally, it can not be ignored. The reason the cancellation hasn't been announced, and that's because there's still a chance the story can continue, and be finished at a new home. This is where you all come in."

The "Raised by Wolves" star went on to request fans be as vocal as possible about their hopes for a third season, in an attempt to help Scott Free shop the show to another platform for a potential third season.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/raised-by-wolves-canceled-hbo-max-1235284387/

Really hate this!

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 03, 2022, 05:38:34 PMWhen "Raised by Wolves" was renewed for a second season soon after its premiere, HBO Max said it was the top performing HBO Max original since the platform's launch four months prior.

Wasn't for a lack of audience...

BlueMarsalis79

HBO Max's kinda a disappointment though, it lost tons of money as covered by Mr Sunday Movies early this year, no doubt in part due to being exclusive to the United States.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed