Halo: The Television Series

Started by Nightmare Asylum, May 21, 2013, 05:54:29 PM

Author
Halo: The Television Series (Read 23,380 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 08, 2022, 05:41:07 PM
And here I was expecting Hicks to have a David-is-the-Space-Jockey reaction to it. :-\

I can't when it's been a part of my Halo experience since the very early days. I experienced him without a helmet in The Fall of Reach.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 09, 2022, 10:52:15 PM
Alex Garland's script did a weird thing where Chief's face is shown flat out in dream sequence flashbacks to Reach, and when his helmet comes off in the main story, his face is only partially shown, bit enough to know that it's been altered somehow since.

Man...that script. I'm glad that didn't come to fruition. lol

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

As good as the novels can be they are not the identity of Halo to me.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

HALO NTR

Kradan

Kradan

El Risitas RIP

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: TC on Apr 01, 2022, 10:17:01 AMI quite like the strategy they are using for the show. It's essentially a reboot of the game stories but told in a completely new interpretation. There's a lot of the same story elements (like "artifacts"), plot ideas, settings, characters (and presumably their arcs), remixed into a fresh narrative.

I like the production design, the budget seems sufficient to look suitably impressive, the FX look good, the acting is good, and it takes itself seriously without any cartoonishness.

There was a time when I wished for such a treatment to the Alien movies: all four of the original films in a mash up/remix/reboot/whatever, so that they have a new seemless continuity, maybe with a bit of Alien:Isolation stirred in. And probably with the addition of other all-new subplots and characters as well.

Right now, though, I question if such a streaming series would be too imitative of existing shows like this Halo one, but also The Expanse, Altered Carbon, and maybe a couple of others.  (And of course there's the Noah Hawley project that's already underway, but that's a completely different consideration. )

The distinguishing feature of the Alien franchise is the horror element of Giger's monster. Now I wonder if that would be enough.

TC

I am enjoying Halo after watching 3 episodes.

As for the influence of The Expanse, I can definitely see that in the Halo series.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

I thoroughly enjoyed the first season and am looking forward to season 2!

The budget for this was $200 million and I certainly noticed the cinematic budget at work while watching. Hopefully the Alien series will get a similar sized budget.

Prez

Prez

I dug the first season. Played the first 2 games to death many moons ago.
I like the fact it's not all big, dumb action and tries to weave an interesting story and character development. Yes it can be a bit slow at times but the action when it does come is very entertaining.

bb-15

bb-15

My son, who is a big Halo game fan, with my wife and I saw two more episodes last night.
Enjoying more of the world created in this series.
Beyond the Expanse influence, the space marine fights remind me a bit of Starship Troopers.
The Madrigal storyline feels like it has some bits from The Mandelorian.

I agree with others that the special effects and CGI sets in the series are SF movie quality.
I see Spielberg is one of the producers (with his company, Amblin). That helps to explain the money behind this.

:)

Master Chief

Master Chief

I'm glad a lot of you liked it...I'm also glad it's over.  ;D

TC

TC

For me, the best parts of the series were where it departed most from the game. If you are a Halo fanboy, I'm sure you would say this was where it was worst. For example, the final episode was full of FPS-styled combat action, which I found rather kiddish, more suited to Saturday morning cartoons. But elsewhere, where it dared to ignore the canon-expectations of the fans, I rather enjoyed.

When you present this kind of adaptation to a fandom, you have to market it correctly. Case in point: Star Wars Visions. The audience going into Visions fully expects it to depart from established Star Wars canon. In fact, that's what they come for: a re-imagining. They don't expect deference to established convention and lore. WRT Halo, looking around the internet, this is what outraged most of the fandom.

TC

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Actually it being shit outraged most.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: TC on Jun 01, 2022, 05:11:35 PMFor me, the best parts of the series were where it departed most from the game. If you are a Halo fanboy, I'm sure you would say this was where it was worst. For example, the final episode was full of FPS-styled combat action, which I found rather kiddish, more suited to Saturday morning cartoons. But elsewhere, where it dared to ignore the canon-expectations of the fans, I rather enjoyed.

When you present this kind of adaptation to a fandom, you have to market it correctly. Case in point: Star Wars Visions. The audience going into Visions fully expects it to depart from established Star Wars canon. In fact, that's what they come for: a re-imagining. They don't expect deference to established convention and lore. WRT Halo, looking around the internet, this is what outraged most of the fandom.

TC

Hard to predict when viewers will be offended.
I don't blame the studio or Spielberg.

It has been explained that the show is the "silver timeline".
But some people reject some alternate reality series/movies but accept others.
Marvel can show multiple Spider-Mans at the same time and that's just fine with a lot of people.

Anyway, most of what the audience likes is a gut reaction.
My son's friend just came over and he is talking about the Halo show.
He said; "Master Chief took off his helmet every frikin time!"

I'm leaving them alone.

My thoughts?
It's a live action TV show, not a game.
In a live action TV show, sometimes the audience accepts seeing the face of the lead character.
Boba Fett did not take off his helmet in the original Star Wars trilogy. 
The Mandalorian, has a religious rule about keeping the helmet on. Yet that series shows Pedro Pascal taking his helmet off. It's the most popular streaming show. 

My family and I finished season one of Halo. Lots of plots twists.
I enjoyed that.
Looking forward to Halo season 2.

;)

Thatguy2068

Thatguy2068

They announce a season two
https://www.ign.com/articles/halo-season-2-paramount-plus-release-date-seemingly-revealed-leak
I heard how bad the first season was, let's try to be optimistic about this and say they learn what they did

Prez

Prez

I enjoyed the first season and I played the crap out of the first 2 games. It was slow at times but the action was great when it happened. That said I totally get some fans reaction to this series.

ace3g

ace3g

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed