Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series

Started by Ingwar, Oct 08, 2018, 07:05:23 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series (Read 131,002 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Nightmare Asylum

Twiddling my thumbs waiting on that season three green light. Any day now, HBO Max, any day now... :-[

BlueMarsalis79

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 20, 2022, 03:47:35 PM
So, outside of the major dangling plot threads left to be picked up on (hopefully) next season, anyone have any specific concepts from the second season that you're looking forward to seeing further explored? For me, it's absolutely Father's 'botanitech' discovery, and the various applications that could very well have as the show progresses. I'm also wondering if perhaps it could end up feeding into the prophecy, in that maybe the city that is key to the prophecy might actually end up being grown...

After finishing Season 2, I've got a general outline of the backstory imo;
(Not to take away from the multitude of symbolism in the show)
Which I believe will be further developed in Season 3.

BB ;-)

Spoiler

** I look forward to the following to be further explored in Season 3.
* As explained by Grandmother about the distant past and several events which have happened in the show;
* The planet is a trap for the human explorers which goes back many years, centuries.
- There is a powerful consciousness within the planet called the Entity or Sol. The Entity can use telepathic communication and can control some things in the soil and certain plants.
- The dampening field in the Tropical Zone settlement blocked the telepathic power of the Entitiy (Sol).
- However again, the Entity can control things in the soil and special plants, by putting traps in the soil (multi-sided boxes which can turn people into trees) and can extend its power through some plants.

* Grandmother has become a major story antagonist since she wants to take drastic measures to stop the Entity from killing the humans. This involves;
- Devolving all the humans on the planet to a primitive level (like the creatures in the water).
Grandmother says once all the humans are devolved, then the Entity will become dormant.
In Grandmother's twisted thinking, using a computer game to change the humans to a primitive level is for their own good.
Campion is being changed in that direction but he doesn't realize what his fate could be.

* Mother has begun to figure out the threat (she is now clearly the protagonist) but she has been trapped in a stasis pod by Grandmother.
- Father is slow to understand the overall situation as usual.
* Marcus was tied to a tree which came from the Entity trap/box. That put Marcus in contact with the Entity through that trap/plant. Marcus has been resurrected by the Entity and I assume will have some powers as a servant of the Entity. He floats but this is not unusual for this story, levitation is a power which we've seen before with the snake and Mother.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

(Trying to avoid all Season 2 spoilers until I'm done)

I finally started catching up and finished Season 1 at the weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed it, mad finale included. I don't quite get it yet and it does seem left-field from where the show is at that point, but I'm hoping it works out. Though I'm not sure what the deal was with the object they went through. I thought it was intended to be the planet's core so I was kinda  :-\ about them just coming through it.

Watched the Season 2 opener last night. Man, the effects were so ropey in that one. It looked terrible. As did the geography around the effects. The whole narrative felt a little off tbf. I'm not sure. But I'll keep going.

I've been getting intense Dune vibes throughout too.

Nightmare Asylum

Regarding the season one finale, that was indeed the core that they sort of slingshotted around/were pulled through. The tunnels – the snake pits – seem to form some sort of a transportation system linking parts of the planet through/around the core.

Regarding season two, there's definitely some wonky CGI (especially in the first few episodes), though I found that I really loved all the design work so even when the effects weren't entirely up to snuff, the actual visual language of what was on screen was doing the work and getting me invested in what I was seeing. I love the whole look overall of the Tropical Zone. And there are some pretty big special effects sequences in the last few episodes that look phenomenal, in my opinion – it feels like maybe they shaved a few dollars off the first few episodes' effects budget in order to get that stuff near the end really looking top notch.

acrediblesource

I feel like the writers really know how to stir this pot well and even though the seasons 2 finale was some what laughable and more symbolic whist probably why they didnt spend much money doing anything spectacular, the rest of the season was spiced well with interesting cgi right up there with prometheus film level stuff(which i feel is still partly inspired).

I think what they have and are establishing here is an original universe  as fresh as  the original Star Trek.

Immortan Jonesy

Among so many superhero shows, prequels, remakes, revivals, spin offs, Star Wars stuff.. Aaron Guzikowski's creation stands alone in comparison. Dariusz Wolski's work is also top notch.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 30, 2022, 11:39:47 AM
Regarding the season one finale, that was indeed the core that they sort of slingshotted around/were pulled through. The tunnels – the snake pits – seem to form some sort of a transportation system linking parts of the planet through/around the core.

Maybe there's more to it as Season 2 goes on, but I was thinking the same of the tunnels being transportation for the snakes, but I also got the impression that the hybridisation was how that particular one was flying. Maybe I'm off base there? Maybe I'll find out more around that shortly.

Nightmare Asylum

Don't want to say too much, so I'll spoiler tag this, but here's what Guzikowski had to say regarding that subject back in post-season one finale interviews:

Spoiler
You're right on the money with Mother's serpent baby's ability to fly being unique to it, vs the ancient serpents whose bones litter Kepler-22b's surface which were indeed landlocked. You can actually hear sounds akin to Mother's Necromancer mode's flight sounds when "Number 7" is flying, and it has a pretty distinctly different mouth than the ancient serpents did - all the skeletons have much more traditional jaws, vs "Number 7's" more lamprey-styled mouth.

The ancient serpents used these tunnels to move around across and through the planet, though as season two goes on to reveal, the tunnels may have been used by other ancient inhabitants for other purposes as well.
[close]

zalexis

I don't remember if I shared this artist's profile (Hendrik Gericke) or any of his S2 concept art here, so I'll share his Artstation profile, he has 10 or so posts of S2 concept art https://www.artstation.com/theflyingdutchman

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 01, 2022, 12:08:48 PM
Don't want to say too much, so I'll spoiler tag this, but here's what Guzikowski had to say regarding that subject back in post-season one finale interviews:

Spoiler
You're right on the money with Mother's serpent baby's ability to fly being unique to it, vs the ancient serpents whose bones litter Kepler-22b's surface which were indeed landlocked. You can actually hear sounds akin to Mother's Necromancer mode's flight sounds when "Number 7" is flying, and it has a pretty distinctly different mouth than the ancient serpents did - all the skeletons have much more traditional jaws, vs "Number 7's" more lamprey-styled mouth.

The ancient serpents used these tunnels to move around across and through the planet, though as season two goes on to reveal, the tunnels may have been used by other ancient inhabitants for other purposes as well.
[close]

Hmmmmm. I wonder if

Spoiler
the tunnels were all submerged previously then.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

I finished Season 2. Really enjoyed it. Really keen to see the lore and mythology of this expand out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed