AvPGalaxy Interviews Christopher Golden

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 30, 2014, 12:36:07 PM

Author
AvPGalaxy Interviews Christopher Golden (Read 15,999 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: ClockworkHorror on Nov 05, 2014, 08:39:32 PMAnd a main character that was like 'He's what? And he's who?' Burke might have been a corporate stooge who saw an opportunity and jumped at it, but that doesn't make him a compulsive liar.

Something that occurred to me recently - how do we know Decker isn't Ripley 8's descendant, rather than the original Ellen Ripley? I initially assumed it to be the latter, but if it was the former, that would certainly help explain his telepathic link with the Aliens.

ClockworkHorror

James Moore, iirc, said something akin to 'How do we know Burke was telling the truth?' with regards to Amanda's lack of children.
And I thought the Auriga crash was a relatively recent thing in Sea of Sorrows.

SM

SM

Resurrection takes place about 100 years before the book from memory.

ClockworkHorror

Hmmmmm. I'll have to listen to the Moore interview again. I'd thought he was asked if Decker was related to Ripley 8 and he said he was not.

Ultramorph

Quote from: ClockworkHorror on Nov 06, 2014, 12:06:55 AM
Hmmmmm. I'll have to listen to the Moore interview again. I'd thought he was asked if Decker was related to Ripley 8 and he said he was not.

I seem to remember the same thing. Hicks asked whether Decker was descended from Ripley 8 or the original, and Moore said the original. Not to mention that Rollins mentions Amanda Ripley, which would also point in the direction of Decker descending from her.

SM

SM

The book wisely plays it very loose with the exact relationship.

I thought perhaps one of Ripley's parents had perhaps re-married at some point giving her half-siblings and starting a different branch of the family that lead to Decker.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: ClockworkHorror on Nov 06, 2014, 12:06:55 AMHmmmmm. I'll have to listen to the Moore interview again. I'd thought he was asked if Decker was related to Ripley 8 and he said he was not.

Fair enough. Don't know if I read that quote!

Leo Hobbs

Leo Hobbs

So cool to that Derrick Russell from the fire and stone series will appear in River Pain!
Also excited to hear that Tim Lebbon is working on novels set after Sea of Sorrows! :D

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 04, 2014, 08:16:07 AM
I've got no problem with the notion that WY might have fingers in the USCM pie. I could find it quite likely that they're able to pull strings or manipulate key personal to get things done. It'd also be quite believable that WY might have a contract with WY/ECA to provide protection to their colonies.

This came up elsewhere on the forum, but as I said there, Weyland-Yutani wouldn't legally own the colony, to the best of my knowledge. The contributed a lot to it, but that's not the same thing. They'd have probably just sent out their own security forces to deal with the situation, for one thing.

Colonial Marines would be obligated to provide protection for government territory. They aren't Private Military Comtractors, like Blackwater. That's the kind of outfit a company would contract to provide security if it doesn't have any of its own (which, in Weyland-Yutani's case, I'd find difficult to believe).

Lockheed don't 'hire out' the US military to protect their facilities, for example. However, the US government can choose to hire private security firms, such as Wickenhut providing security for Area 51, famously.

Of course, I'm trying to apply realism to all of this (in the spirit of what Cameron attempted to inject in his movie). It's quite possible Golden has taken a more superficial overview of the situation and gone 'full sci-fi' with all manner of assumptions.

SM

SM

"The corporation co-financed that colony along with Colonial Administration..."

They're part owners.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SM on Nov 13, 2014, 02:24:16 AM
"The corporation co-financed that colony along with Colonial Administration..."

They're part owners.

After having just rewatched a couple of scenes, you're right. But that just goes to show they're not solely in charge, by any means. Their logo is all over Operations, but that's no different from getting investment from the EU for things here in the UK: It's money with strings attached and a stipulation you have to put up lots of European Union signs, so that they get good PR. The same as racing cars have their sponsor's logo all over the place (or how, as our space exploration advances, we're likely to see a lot of Space X logos on stations and outposts which are technically under NASA's authority). The colony, as we saw it, is also chiefly there to run the atmosphere processor, as they're still at an early stage. Many of the staff we see are probably there to run it and would be cycled in/out, trained by Weyland-Yutani in how to maintain their hardware.

Note how the Jordans, who are there to be the actual colonists and prospectors, don't have all the company logos on their vehicle and clothing. Notice, too, how on Newt's citizenship Award, there's a complete absence of any Weyland-Yutani logo:

http://www.b26354.co.nz/newt/pictures/dsc_1199.jpg

I'd imagine that "Colonial Administration" is to do with the US (or UA) government, who would ultimately be the controlling authority. Federal authorities are the ones who send the troops in to investigate. Weyland-Yutani didn't (even though, as we saw in 'Alien 3, they have the capacity to do so). So, in this case, I'd think things which impact citizenship and actual colony status, aren't under Weyland-Yutani control. Just stuff like the atmosphere processor and whatever they might have secured the rights to, such as future mining sites.

It's also worth pointing out that any colonisation effort would have to come under the authority of an existing nation's government. Otherwise, they could just do as they pleased without any legal consequences, as there'd be no legally-recognised laws to govern their day-to-day operations. All the kinds of things which end up in court, in today's world, would have to be dealt with locally and if there's no existing legislation to dictate what is and isn't allowed under particular circumstances, they could just make it up as they go along.

Ultramorph

iTunes has a lengthy preview of River of Pain. It's a bit tricky getting the link on my phone, but a simple Google search brings it up pretty quickly.

I looked forward to reading it later!

Corporal Hicks

Can't find it on the UK one. I had been trying to get a preview for you guys but the PR lady has gone and the new one hasn't returned my emails yet.  :-\

Ultramorph

There's a interestig article over on the Tor website where they interview both Christopher Golden and Chris Roberson. It focuses on how River of Pain intersects with Fire and Stone. It's some cool stuff.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/11/christopher-golden-christopher-roberson-interview-aliens

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Ultramorph on Nov 21, 2014, 08:21:49 PM
There's a interestig article over on the Tor website where they interview both Christopher Golden and Chris Roberson. It focuses on how River of Pain intersects with Fire and Stone. It's some cool stuff.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/11/christopher-golden-christopher-roberson-interview-aliens

Nice find.  I agree.  You can really tell how much Christopher Golden cares about continuity while reading the novel.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed