AvPGalaxy Interviews Christopher Golden

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 30, 2014, 12:36:07 PM

Author
AvPGalaxy Interviews Christopher Golden (Read 15,858 times)

Corporal Hicks

I have just uploaded an interview that we conducted with Christopher Golden, author of Titan’s next Alien novel, River of Pain:

“Of the three of us, I had the least instruction and most leeway, simply because the big idea for my novel is fairly clear—tell the story of Acheron leading up to the events of ALIENS.  Of course I wrote a thorough outline that was vetted by Fox.  The challenge was to come up with an original story that would still have drama and surprises and mystery in it, even though every person reading it would already know at least a major element of the climax.  Here's what I can tell you:  even if you've seen the movie a hundred times, you only know part of the story.  In RIVER OF PAIN, you'll get the full picture of what unfolded prior to ALIENS.”

Be sure to check out the complete interview in our interviews section. I’d like to thank Christopher Golden for taking the time to answer our questions. Alien – River of Pain is due out 28 November.

King Xeno

Really look forward to this book. While the Dark Horse series Newts tale explored Hadleys Hope shortly before the Xeno infestation, I am excited to go back even further with River of Pain. Can't wait! :)

Ultramorph

Nice interview, Hicks!

It's cool that Golden and Roberson made sure that their stories could co-exist. I'm looking forward, in a few months' time, to reading all the new novels and comics as the gigantic story it's all meant to be.

I can't wait to see what happens on the Derelict!  ;D

Vrastal

more from ea of sorrows. that has me more excited.
Ill pick up river of pain of course but knowing what the overall outcome will be takes away some of the  suspense

SM

*Marachuk

I think this book it least likely to be free of continuity errors of the three.

But I'm looking forward to it anyway.

HuDaFuK

The more I read of the interview, the more worried I feel they'll make a hash of it.

But I'll definitely read it anyway.

Xenomorphine

"Knowing what we know about the Colonial Marines and Weyland-Yutani, their inclusion is entirely logical."

Equally curious and suspicious as to what this could imply and worried this could be another example of someone wrongly assuming Weyland-Yutani owns the Colonial Marines.

Ultramorph

I must admit I'm a bit worried about how far they're going to push credibility with this. Maybe I just have lower expectations after being disappointed by Sea of Sorrows.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 03, 2014, 09:39:53 PM"Knowing what we know about the Colonial Marines and Weyland-Yutani, their inclusion is entirely logical."

Equally curious and suspicious as to what this could imply and worried this could be another example of someone wrongly assuming Weyland-Yutani owns the Colonial Marines.

Yeah, that quote bugged me too, because there's nothing particularly logical about it at all. If there were Marines there, why didn't Gorman's boys know about them?

SM

Did they need to?  And even if they did, did they need to reference them?

Like Xenomorphine I think the issue could be the mistaken belief that the Company owns the marines.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 03, 2014, 09:39:53 PM
"Knowing what we know about the Colonial Marines and Weyland-Yutani, their inclusion is entirely logical."

I've got no problem with the notion that WY might have fingers in the USCM pie. I could find it quite likely that they're able to pull strings or manipulate key personal to get things done. It'd also be quite believable that WY might have a contract with WY/ECA to provide protection to their colonies.

However, with A:I introducing the Colonial Marshalls I'd expect to see them on every off-world site. That said, I suppose between A:I and Aliens, they could have dissolved.

I'm dubious to see how it's handled but I'll go in with an open-mind.

Quote from: SM on Oct 31, 2014, 08:00:48 AM
*Marachuk

Thought I'd corrected that. I'll fix it when the CMS stops playing up.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Nov 03, 2014, 10:50:17 PMDid they need to?  And even if they did, did they need to reference them?

They didn't need to, no, but you would've thought a previous group of Marines being stationed there might be brought up in the briefing, or when they find no trace of them upon landing. Leave no Marine behind and all that. If they're in the same job you'd expect Gorman's Marines to at least care about their brothers in arms.

Obviously it's a retcon at the end of the day, but with this new Colonial Marshal Bureau that Isolation came up with, why not stick some of those guys in there? That would be far more logical.

SM

SM

40 year time difference and different company involved.

Perhaps.

USG Ishimura

The Security guys you encounter early in Mission 16 of Alien Isolation are wearing some basic Colonial Marine armor, if you look at the helmet neck 'lobster plates' and the main torso and on-top of the shoulders.

ClockworkHorror

I lurk a lot, but wanted to throw in my two cents.

Out of the Shadows started brilliantly. Got weak in the middle. And the ending was a bit of a head shaker.
Sea of Sorrows was pretty weak all around. So much gunfire for nothing. Mired in action movie cliches. And a main character that was like 'He's what? And he's who?' Burke might have been a corporate stooge who saw an opportunity and jumped at it, but that doesn't make him a compulsive liar.
If River of Pain gives us a good backstory without trying to do its own thing, I'll be happy.

The biggest disappointment is that the novels are titled ALIEN. I was hoping for something more Alien, and less Aliens. Mind, I got Alien: Isolation, so I can't complain.

I'm going to keep an open mind for River of Pain. I like Chris's writing. I'll enjoy it, regardless. But I hope it sticks closer to the dynamic we've seen in Fire and Stone so far.
Ordinary people in extraordinary situations.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed