Alien 5 won't be titled Alien 5, won't tread on Prometheus 2

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Mar 21, 2015, 02:48:51 PM

Author
Alien 5 won't be titled Alien 5, won't tread on Prometheus 2 (Read 74,371 times)

Nightmare Asylum

QuoteNeill Blomkamp's new Alien film won't be called Alien 5 - and it's been changed a little to avoid "bumping" Prometheus 2...

This story implies a spoiler for Alien 3.

Neill Blomkamp's proposed sequel to Alien has thrown up a degree of confusion over the past month or so. First of all, it was said that it was going to effectively sideline Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection, and pick up after James Cameron's Aliens. Then, Blomkamp himself distanced himself ever so slightly from those comments, instead insisting that due respect would be paid to the third and fourth Alien films.

Well, a little bit more information has come to light in the new issue of Empire magazine.

In it, Blomkamp confirms that original Alien director Ridley Scott will be producing the movie, and that it won't, in the words of the magazine, 'tread on the toes of Prometheus 2'. "I changed the one thing [Ridley Scott] felt was bumping Prometheus a little bit", Blomkamp confirmed.

Scott likes the idea of what Blomkamp has come up with for the new Alien film, the piece confirms, and the new movie won't be called Alien 5. In fact, Neill Blomkamp already has a title in mind. "It's kinda quite bold, but it gives away too much if I say the title", he teased. And as for where the film will sit in the series? It's still not entirely clear. "Where it went after Aliens to me, as a fan, was wrong". The new film will be "the triplet of the first two. There's a shitload missing as a fan that I would want to see".

The plot, then, thickens...

The full piece is in the new issue of Empire, that goes on sale later this week.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/alien/34632/alien-5-wont-tread-on-toes-of-prometheus-2#ixzz3V21yP7pW

OpenMaw

Alien 3-2 I guess it is then.  :laugh:

Nightmare Asylum

If I had to guess, I'd assume that the thing Scott requested Blomkamp change had something to do with the portrayal of the Derelict/Juggernaut that seems to play a role in the film.

ash9426

ash9426

Quote"It's kinda quite bold, but it gives away too much if I say the title"

Aliens: Rip-off  ;)

Quote"The new film will be the triplet of the first two. There's a shitload missing as a fan that I would want to see"

I won't lie, this is exciting  ;D

CainsSon

Let there be no more doubt that he is at least waying his words. He is no longer denying that he has something to hide about the concept. What that MISSING stuff is, be it b/w Alien 3 or simply the stuff the series never wrapped up, or possibly both...
I am interested in how his title will reveal something intricate and why he doesn't want it revealed. I mean, this is particularly strange because, that means this so called reveal is something he intends for audiences to know before the film comes out, just not yet.
That's very peculiar, no?

Son Of Kane

Quote from: CainsSon on Mar 21, 2015, 04:33:31 PM
Let there be no more doubt that he is at least waying his words. He is no longer denying that he has something to hide about the concept. What that MISSING stuff is, be it b/w Alien 3 or simply the stuff the series never wrapped up, or possibly both...
I am interested in how his title will reveal something intricate and why he doesn't want it revealed. I mean, this is particularly strange because, that means this so called reveal is something he intends for audiences to know before the film comes out, just not yet.
That's very peculiar, no?

Reminds me of something...

Kinda like how the sequel to Alien's title immediately gives away what the film is about. If he's able to recreate that, kudos to him.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 21, 2015, 02:48:51 PM
QuoteNeill Blomkamp's new Alien film won't be called Alien 5 - and it's been changed a little to avoid "bumping" Prometheus 2...

In it, Blomkamp confirms that original Alien director Ridley Scott will be producing the movie, and that it won't, in the words of the magazine, 'tread on the toes of Prometheus 2'. "I changed the one thing [Ridley Scott] felt was bumping Prometheus a little bit", Blomkamp confirmed.

quote]

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/alien/34632/alien-5-wont-tread-on-toes-of-prometheus-2#ixzz3V21yP7pW

Perhaps he changed THIS:
l

This^^^^looks like it may tread on PROMETHEUS -

I had been meaning to start a new thread about this, but I have found it strange that no one picked up on the odd fact that this concept art refers to ripley's alien suit as 'THE PILOT and SPACE JOKEY SUIT'

Think about that because this suit is an ALIEN suit mixed with the Space Jockey suit. Not a 'SPACE JOCKEY' suit as all have been referring to it. The whole idea of calling this 'SPACE JOCKEY' or 'Pilot' implies either stepping on PROMETHEUS's toes (and that having possibly been changed, now, accoring to this EMPIRE article), or some other big concept...

evolution_rex

The only title that I could possibly think of that would give away the plot of the movie would be something like Alien: Extinction, or maybe something like Alien Earth.

Ryan741

I think its so exciting that we are (kinda) getting our own Marvel universe with new Aliens and another Prometheus.

Doggo33

I would have much preferred 'Alien 5' to be the name. But thinking about it, that does fit with the whole destroying of 'Alien 3' and 'Alien: Resurrection'. As a random prediction, I'll guess it's called something like 'Alien: Earth'. That sounds more like a comic/graphic novel name to me but if its supposedly too revealing, that seems logical.

As for the name and main point of the article - Oh right, don't tread on the toes of the films that does its best to destroy the 'Alien' series. But do completely obliterate the films that don't contradict and are and always will be part of the series.

T Dog

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 21, 2015, 02:51:18 PM
If I had to guess, I'd assume that the thing Scott requested Blomkamp change had something to do with the portrayal of the Derelict/Juggernaut that seems to play a role in the film.

Yeah this unfortunately suggests to me that we are stuck with the shitty Engineers.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: CainsSon on Mar 21, 2015, 04:33:31 PM

Probably elements which have been missing in the recent films. It's a theme he keeps reiterating in interviews.

Psychosexuality, biomechanical aesthetics, making the project a genuinely horrific viewing experience... A proper return to the derelict's chamber/cave... Agony of egg transformation - hopefully. Might also be something like a strong hint at a Giger-like world where the Alien originally came from.

In fact, if Weyland-Yutani got ahold of the/a derelict and a Queen Alien, trying to figure out where the species came from seems like a common sense move. They'd be eager to exploit any new such technology. Especially if the ship in question is mostly in a state of irreparable damage; it could teach them a lot, but not nearly as much as a fully-functional version.

Basically, it's probably a wish-list of all the stuff which tends to hit you in the face when you open up a really good reference volume on the films. The stuff which makes you go, "Darn... Wish we had been given more of X, Y and Z."

It could also include a much better look at the Colonial Marines, if they're included in the story - or at least, the type of military hardware they would use. After all, in 'Aliens', all we saw were the equivalent of a recon/repair team. A fully outfitted fleet would have some seriously imposing capabilities. Especially if a rival group/government intervenes with an interest to take advantage of whatever Weyland-Yutani have possession of.

Ripley might get to "fry half a city". :)

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

The title reveals too much, huh? Alien:Homeworld perhaps?

Interesting news.

Son Of Kane

Son Of Kane

Quote from: tmjhur on Mar 21, 2015, 05:16:43 PM

Yeah this unfortunately suggests to me that we are stuck with the shitty Engineers.

Nothing shitty about the Engineers.

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 21, 2015, 05:55:21 PM
Then title reveals too much, huh? Alien:Homeworld perhaps?

Interesting news.

God I hope not, at least not with that name.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Mar 21, 2015, 06:14:33 PM
Quote from: tmjhur on Mar 21, 2015, 05:16:43 PM

Nothing shitty about the Engineers.
Everything, actually (the Prometheus idea at least).  ;) ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed