Cutting to the chase . . .

Started by AlienatedPredator, Oct 25, 2007, 02:00:30 PM

Author
Cutting to the chase . . . (Read 950 times)

AlienatedPredator

OK, so every detail of this movie and the creatures in it has been argued ad nauseum by us AvP geeks. Time for me to take stock on what I feel is actually truly relevant to whether I will enjoy this flick:

Appearance of the creatures: very important!
Movement of creatures: somewhat important (Aliens should NOT move like raptors!)
Wolf's vison: don't care that much
Predalien: no previous canon, so not a big deal to me
Earth setting: acceptable, but FUTURE earth setting would have been much better
Continuity: important, and Colin has promised it is taken care of
Human characters: fairly important; I mostly want the acting to be believable
Level of gore: seems fitting for what these creatures do
Alien gestation period: fairly important, needs to be at least 24 hours
Canon in general: whatever, every writer has taken liberties in one way or another
Story: not too important as long as it is coherent
Music: somewhat important, and indications are it is great!
Running time: important! Can't be less than 100 minutes
Fight scenes: MOST IMPORTANT! They need to be brutal/savage/ferocious, well shot, and a lot of them!

Well that's me anyway.

tommygun

tommygun

Human characters are throwaways and not important
Story not important
WWE type action and gore , gore, gore, gore and buckets of blood extremely necessary

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Taking some of the categories given by AlienatedPredator...

• Creature Appearance - Very Important
• Creatures Movements - Important. I didn't mind the creature's movements in AvP except for the CGI Alien movements. The guys in the suits did a fine job i thought.
• Wolf's Vision - I might be 1 of a few people who didn't care about them altering the Pred's vision for the 1st AvP movie. The human mode didn't bother me at all + mostly, i thought, looked pretty cool. The Alien vision mode i thought was fantastic. I see they have gone back to the original Pred vision mode for humans which is all gool i suppose.
• Predalien - Looks alright so far. I don't hate its design but it's looking a bit... odd. As long as the design doesn't appear terrible on screen i don't think i'll mind.
• Earth Setting/Continuity - I didn't have a prob with the 1st AvP occurring on Earth b/c it was in a remote setting + in a pyramid (which in my mind seemed wicked cool). Having it in a modern town... well, i'm skeptical as i'm not sure how Aliens will look terrorize neighborhood streets but i'm sure it will work out. I only hope that no Aliens remain on Earth at the end of the film
• Humans - Half to appear somewhat realistic. Of course most of this is how good the dialogue + acting is.
• Music - Needs to be good of course but i have full faith it will be.
• Runtime - Heard it is in the 105-110 minute range which seems fine to me
• Fight Scenes - My main gripe with the 1st film was not enough Aliens vs Predators. Hopefully this film will correct that. With 1 Pred though the Aliens won't be winning to many fight it would seem which is... well. i prefer the Pred but i love the Alien as well + don't want 2 see them squashed with too much ease.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: tommygun on Oct 25, 2007, 02:20:29 PM
Human characters are throwaways and not important
Story not important
WWE type action and gore , gore, gore, gore and buckets of blood extremely necessary

You stand by your name there, tommy... ;D

Quote from: AlienatedPredator on Oct 25, 2007, 02:00:30 PM
OK, so every detail of this movie and the creatures in it has been argued ad nauseum by us AvP geeks. Time for me to take stock on what I feel is actually truly relevant to whether I will enjoy this flick:

Appearance of the creatures: very important!
Movement of creatures: somewhat important (Aliens should NOT move like raptors!)
Wolf's vision: don't care that much
Predalien: no previous canon, so not a big deal to me
Earth setting: acceptable, but FUTURE earth setting would have been much better
Continuity: important, and Colin has promised it is taken care of
Human characters: fairly important; I mostly want the acting to be believable
Level of gore: seems fitting for what these creatures do
Alien gestation period: fairly important, needs to be at least 24 hours
Canon in general: whatever, every writer has taken liberties in one way or another
Story: not too important as long as it is coherent
Music: somewhat important, and indications are it is great!
Running time: important! Can't be less than 100 minutes
[b]Fight scenes[/b]: MOST IMPORTANT! They need to be brutal/savage/ferocious, well shot, and a lot of them!

Well that's me anyway.

OK:

Aliens' Appearance - Not important, as ADI is usually able to do Aliens...
Aliens' Deplacement and MO - Credibility-bound - Basis: Aliens (less is better)
Wolf's POV - Somewhat important - Wolf's POV seeing Aliens without mask would be nice addition;
Predator Vision modes - Pivotal importance;
Predalien - Agree with Alienated - since this was never seen before, just expect it to behave in credible and coherent fashion;
Earth Setting - Disappointing, but acceptable...
Continuity - Of Pivotal importance...but Colin maintains it will be safeguarded...
Human characters - Agree with AP...characters should present convincing performances or not too shabby ones...
Level of Gore - Unnecessary...
Alien gestation period - very important, needs to be adressed and showed properly...
Canon - Adding to it instead of reformulating it... Add whenever possible...
Story - Important, though not expected to be memorable, given the thematic and genre...
OST - Importamt to convey mood and emotional involvement... too much noise will distract, too soft will be decontextualised... Hopefully, in tune with the movie...
Running time - At the service of the story and fluidity of the narrative... If the narrative is fluid and varied, time is not a factor... It could be 160 minutes, it could be 100-108 minutes, but usually for a movie like this, the latter is expected, though hopefully without long dead moments or exposition moments...
Fight sequences - Important, but hopefully short skirmishes and not too choreographed ones, like the Matrix ones... Hopefully, Aliens doing Alien-looking fights...

And that's my take on things...

There's a lot this movie has to live up to... Hopefully, it'll deliver... ;)

Kriszilla

Kriszilla

So long as the creatures look fairly good, and the film is not too short, I'm happy.

Fight scenes must be brutal, and primal, none of this "martial arts" crap that a lot of people expect these days. Fight scenes like in the old comics, with short but action-packed fights, no long-lasting fights with the advantage constantly switching between pred and alien.

megachu17

megachu17

i totally agree with kriszilla, the fight sceens need 2 be spectacular, the movie would be farly long, and souldnt me muked up with "story", there should be enough story to be believable but past that i dont care, the creatures should look good and the movie should be a cannon as possible(but id sacrifice its cannon-ness to mak a better movie), the acting should be good enough to be beliveable(not looking for emmy winners) but past that, i dont care. thats about it, i want a basic monster movie, terribly horrifing, everything else, eh...

Docta Jekyll

Docta Jekyll

Appearance of the creatures: Important, but oth look great, no complaints here

Movement of creatures: somewhat pretty important, they need to have consistency with past performances(well, the good ones anyway)

Wolf's vison: I considered it important, but it looks fine, as long as it sounds good, wouldn't ruin the movie for me, but its one of those nice details that show me the Bros care

Predalien: Its the new villian, so its important, but it seems great, I just hope it performs well on screen, and feels as great

Earth setting: I don't like it, but I can live with it, as long as everything else thats important to me in this film is handled pretty damn good to make up for it

Continuity: important, but I've got no worries, as the Bros have confirmed effort has been put into the film to maintain continuity

Human characters: pretty important, I want them to be likeable, relatable to, and most of all, have believable acting

Level of gore: Important, these creatures are brutal, and the films need to portray that, not cut away

Alien gestation period: quite important, I don't want these to be the 'instant chestburster' type aliens

Canon in general: I'd like it to be maintained, little discrepencies get under my skin

Story: pretty important, but its acceptable, as long as it flows well, and doesn't have holes

Music: completely important to me, music has the power to make or break a film, but it seems like this score will do the former for this one

Running time: very important, it needs to be at least 100 minutes WITHOUT credits

Fight scenes: I want them to be viscious and to the death, but I don't want them to feel repetative, each fight scene needs to have its own aspect that sets it apart from the others, like Wolf trying to fight two aliens, or Wolf possibly getting caught without any weapons, etc.

I think I've said my peace, no wait, one more

ENDING: important, I do not want a 'dammit, guess I'll be back here in two years' ending that tells you there will be another, that acts as a cliffhanger, subtle set ups are fine, but having the last 10 seconds of the film reveal something  :o you didn't expect, that tells you where the next film is likely headed is not something I want to see...

LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

creature appearance - agree very important, they must look the part in order to be convincing on screen, so far from what i've seen i can live with the creature designs, they are a far better improvement over the last posers out
creatures movements - very important, if the creatures movements aren't convincing enough, then you get another ASSnderSON's AVP on screen
WOLF's vision - its no real biggy but was happy to see the blue vision return, a throwback to the original - overall it looks cools so
PREDALIEN - i can live with it
earth setting - both films should used the setting in the original AVP comic and have it set in space(on a unknown planet) but they didn't so there's nothing really you can do about that - on a good note i won't see WOLF running around chasing XENOs in a f--king pyramid this time around
humans - personally i don't care about the human cast dialogue or acting. their not as important in the AVP saga. their just there to be on the menu, as long as they die in a painful gruesome matter i'm cool. to me PREDATOR and the ALIENS are the stars
music/score - very important, a good score helps sets the film in motion
runtime - as long as everthing runs smoothly i'm cool, but won't lie the more the merrier
fight scenes - very important, i want to see a AVP FIGHT CLUB on screen
  blood/gore - look i want CARNAGE CITY period f--k this kiddie P-13 screen violence bullsh-t, i want NC-17 level, i want to see a WAR on screen
  stroy/plot - whats done is done so it's out of my control and i can live with it

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed