Empire Podcast Alien: Covenant with Ridley Scott [SPOILERS]

Started by Ingwar, May 23, 2017, 06:28:58 PM

Author
Empire Podcast Alien: Covenant with Ridley Scott [SPOILERS] (Read 63,539 times)

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Evanus on May 24, 2017, 03:05:35 PM
So.. Oram was molested as a child. Again and again. That's why he saw the devil. According to Ridley, at least.

Erg... gonna pretend I didn't hear that. Much too heavy for my taste.

Ingwar

Molested? It's just Scott's interpretation. If it's not addressed in the movie then it doesn't count.

SpeedyMaxx

Could've been easy enough to drop into a scene between him and Daniels or Karine - Oram alluding to a 'awful childhood' on some church colony, which would put forward why he wants to spare the colonists a hardscrabble life on Origae-6 vs. Paradise. But no, let's just cut character out and leave in the horribly awkward line in the opening scenes with Oram complaining that 'a religious man can't be captain!!'

banecat

isn't that the frustrating thing about a lot of the film though? different dialogue, or more dialogue, could have made it so much better.
taking from the novel about finding engineers eggs, being a good example

rabidranger

Interesting that the Engineers felt compelled to come up with such macabre ways to wipe the slate....

banecat

do we think ridley feels they created the black goo, or that is originated elsewhere?

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Evanus on May 24, 2017, 01:49:00 PM
Now please, can people accept that David created the Alien? I don't like it either, but it's the truth. Ridley has said it three times now.

My view is that I want to wait for the "Covenant" Blu-ray extras before I accept that David created the xenomorphs in the derelict as official canon.
- Why? There is still too much contradictory information from Ridley and other sources like the novelization.
- It's anyone's privilege to have a film theory that David created the derelict xenos.
But it's also just as OK to have another film theory that the Engineers created the xenos in the derelict.

* That's two opposing film theories. That's where things are now imo.
- What will determine which is canon according to the film makers, the studio and the wiki sites?
To me it will be the "Covenant" Blu-ray extras.

;)

CainsSon

Quote from: banecat on May 24, 2017, 02:27:04 PM
he pretty much states that david creates the alien, but needed the engineer's black goo to do so
i wonder if they're going to have the black goo be something they simply created, and didn't source from an ancient creature. ugh

David says the Black created many variations of this monster like the Deacon or the Neomorph and the idea is that he is refining these variations. There's not telling what other Lovecraftian monstrosities could come from this stuff. Personally I prefer this to The Engineers having made them. If either way someone had to have done it.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

When Ridley says the Aliens in 3 and 4 were all CG...

He really doesn't have much awareness of the franchise outside his own films.  :-\

He also confirms what I said last year about the prologue maybe being released as a viral instead.

RidgeTop

With that said, I'm personally more inclined to consider this a reboot series now, as I really don't see how they can end up with eggs on LV-426 without doing something truly ridiculous. Canon will never perfectly fit anyway, I'd prefer any Alien movies going forward (after Scott) to completely ignore Scott's prequels.

banecat

if you had to take a guess, how do you think it will tie in to lv426? david is the space jockey? ha

Corporal Hicks

Unfortunately, I think that's where he's going. I really hope he doesn't. The whole lure of the Jockey and the Aliens has taken a hit with Prometheus and Covenant, I'm not sure I can stomach David being in the pressure suit.

RidgeTop

Quote from: banecat on May 24, 2017, 07:18:11 PM
if you had to take a guess, how do you think it will tie in to lv426? david is the space jockey? ha

Well, no one thought he'd go for an idea this bad in Covenant, I'm sure he'll surprise us again if Fox allows him to.

The recent Life & Death comics hinted that the Juggernauts can time travel. Perhaps that?

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: RidgeTop on May 24, 2017, 07:09:46 PM
With that said, I'm personally more inclined to consider this a reboot series now, as I really don't see how they can end up with eggs on LV-426 without doing something truly ridiculous. Canon will never perfectly fit anyway, I'd prefer any Alien movies going forward (after Scott) to completely ignore Scott's prequels.

That's probably what's going to happen anyway. Sooner or later, someone will eventually realize Neill Blomkamp's Aliens sequel idea, and Verheiden's "Hiveworld" scenario. And either of those will ignore parts of the franchise that contradict the narrative.

Wendebiest had a diagram of sorts, I should PM him for it.

echobbase79

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 24, 2017, 06:36:52 PM
When Ridley says the Aliens in 3 and 4 were all CG...

He really doesn't have much awareness of the franchise outside his own films.  :-\

He also confirms what I said last year about the prologue maybe being released as a viral instead.

Didn't he create a rule book for the films when he was doing Covenant?

I'm curious to know if these rules even consider anything past the first film to be a part of his creative agenda as far as the new films go?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed