The Green Knight

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Feb 13, 2020, 03:59:17 PM

Author
The Green Knight (Read 5,070 times)

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

I highly recommend reading The Green Knight before you see the film [if you haven't already]. Its short and J.R.R. Tolkien even has a translation.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Jul 15, 2021, 12:58:21 AM
I highly recommend reading The Green Knight before you see the film [if you haven't already]. Its short and J.R.R. Tolkien even has a translation.

Reading Tolkien's translation now, actually, in anticipation of the film.

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 15, 2021, 04:14:26 PM
Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Jul 15, 2021, 12:58:21 AM

Reading Tolkien's translation now, actually, in anticipation of the film.

I read it in a Norton Anthology, I might check out Tolkien's trans to see what he discovered.

Nightmare Asylum

Ingwar

Ingwar

f**king joke. Sick and tired of lockdown.

Quote'The Green Knight' Pulled From UK Release Calendar Due To Covid Concerns

https://deadline.com/2021/07/the-green-knight-pulled-uk-release-calendar-1234798288/

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Ingwar on Jul 23, 2021, 11:11:06 AM
f**king joke. Sick and tired of lockdown.

Quote'The Green Knight' Pulled From UK Release Calendar Due To Covid Concerns

https://deadline.com/2021/07/the-green-knight-pulled-uk-release-calendar-1234798288/

Won't they release it via streaming then?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Got my ticket for Friday.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Power went out in the theater moments before my screening was about to begin so I guess I'm not seeing it until tomorrow. :D

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 29, 2021, 11:36:06 PM
Power went out in the theater moments before my screening was about to begin so I guess I'm not seeing it until tomorrow. :D

Dat great lenghts he is going to..

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: kwisatz on Jul 30, 2021, 03:30:33 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 29, 2021, 11:36:06 PM

Dat great lenghts he is going to..

Sir Gawain thinks he got it bad on his adventure to find the Green Knight? Pffft. As if he had to deal with anything so rough as his theater losing power.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I made it to the theater okay,  but the universe tried to stop me, too. Road work, bad traffic, and a nasty car accident that happened not far behind me on the highway. But I still got here with time to spare.

EDIT: and then the projector went out like 10-15 minutes from the end. :laugh: They managed to get it back up and running pretty quickly, though.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Stylish, hypnotic, and captivating; The Green Knight contorts its source material (of which I am only familiar with J.R.R. Tolkien's translation) into something new, playing almost like a series of episodic role-playing game encounters that build upon one another and weave into an adventurous tapestry of moral complexities that hit hard with the same core thematic intent of the original work.

I want to say more, but I'm still mulling the movie over. I absolutely loved this, and can see myself revisiting it quite often.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Yes, I did ultimately quite like this, it really captured the weirder qualities of some of the legends. And I like the expansion of the outward journey, the original poem just stops and goes "yeah a ton of shit happened, but let's skip ahead." :laugh: I'm not completely sure about the ending, but I'll have to give it some more thought.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

As for the ending,
Spoiler
I read it in a positive light, in contrast to the "What If?" that Gawain saw before accepting his fate at the hands of the Green Knight and insinuating that an ending along the lines of the poem's happier one could very well follow from where we were left.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed