Alien AI: Too Difficult?

Started by Spoonman101, Jul 25, 2014, 03:50:25 PM

Author
Alien AI: Too Difficult? (Read 4,134 times)

Spoonman101

Spoonman101

Reading a few reviews on the Alien AI, I've found a lot of mention of the difficulty the Alien opposes to the player.  Almost seemingly as if Creative Assembly may have made a Frankenstein monster here. The intelligence of the AI may even surpass that of the player. Do you believe that this might heighten or hinder the enjoyment you may experience throughout Alien Isolation?

Sources:
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3304238/possible-alien-alien-isolation-smart/

http://www.totalxbox.com/79551/previews/why-im-looking-forward-to-not-playing-alien-isolation/

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I believe they may have gone too far.

Dill-On

Dill-On

Too smart? Glad to hear that. :)

oberonqa

oberonqa

That'll be a switch... an Alien game with a smart xeno.  It's pretty unfortunate that it's been almost 20 years since the Aliens TC and aside from some novel ideas like climbing on walls, the AI in every Aliens game I've ever played has been pretty much the same as the AI in the Aliens TC... which is to say pretty dumb. 

So yea... too smart?  Count me in the bring it on category.  :)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

In another article I've read they apparently said that "the A:I AI was modeled after famous chess players Adolf Anderssen and Lionel Kieseritzky and that the A:I Alien was even able to pass the Turing test during an "imitation" game.

Professor Joseph Weizenbaum was quoted as saying: "Considering that only about 80% of all humans are capable of passing said test it is certainly a remarkable achievement."

The article further stated that Creative Assembly made use of Kolmogorov complexity algorithms and principles to avoid possible predictive patterns in the AI behavior. It also makes use of PARRY programming code which was originally written in 1972 by psychiatrist Kenneth Colby. PARRY is claimed by some to be one of the programs (perhaps the first) able to pass the Turing Test.

InfestedGoat

InfestedGoat

I hope the Alien is smarter than the player, that would be incredible!

I'm sure its just people who don't know how to play using stealth and don't get very long to judge the game.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Dan O' Bannon's idea was originally for the Alien to overcome it's blood-lust and pursue a life of scholarly interests. If Corporal Hicks' thesis is proven correct and the A:I Alien is indeed Kane's son (now 15 years older) then players may well have to contend with intelligence vastly superior to their own, possibly even having to engage it in philosophical debates and games of wit.

QuoteDan's Alien culture: In O'Bannon's original conception of the Alien, newborn Aliens are overcome with blood-lust, but this eventually subsides and the creature becomes rational and civilised, heralding its maturation and growth into a third-stage adult. Of the Alien in his script and its savagery, O'Bannon explained that "It's never been subject to its own culture, it's never been subject to anything except a few hours in the hold of the ship. Quite literally, it doesn't have an education. The Alien is not only savage, it is also ignorant." Once its blood-lust has subsided, "the Alien becomes a mild, intelligent creature, capable of art and architecture, which lives a full, scholarly life of 200 years."

Gate

Gate

Can I see some confirmation on these facts before I go play the game and expect the impossible?

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Gate on Jul 26, 2014, 07:04:28 PM
Can I see some confirmation on these facts before I go play the game and expect the impossible?

Exactly. People thought that the AI were going to be incredibly smart in A:CM...turned out not to be that way. People need to get through the hype of this game and be ready for anything. You guys are making this game sound like some philosophical masterpiece with impossible AI to overcome. Calm down and wait for the game to come out.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

If Professor Weizenbaum said the AI was "a remarkable achievement" then I'm sure it will be. I don't require any further proof.

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 26, 2014, 08:10:20 PM
If Professor Weizenbaum said the AI was "a remarkable achievement" then I'm sure it will be. I don't require any further proof.

Possibly but I still want to play myself to judge. I don't go off other people's opinions.

DUB1

DUB1

Are you kidding? The harder the better! I hope the Alien drives casual players to pull their hair out in anger.

Spoonman101

Spoonman101

My Expectation:
The Alien in Isolation becomes so smart, it creates an account on this board and starts arguing what is cannon with the other members.

Gate

Gate

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 26, 2014, 08:10:20 PM
Give me a source.

Spoonman101

Spoonman101

I don't think he's implying that the Alien is going to paint masterpieces while playing the violin but rather the Alien will be a problem solver. Something that is unheard of in artificial intelligence

Quote from: Chronicle on Jul 26, 2014, 07:57:18 PMYou guys are making this game sound like some philosophical masterpiece with impossible AI to overcome.
He was joking...
Sorry Chronic, but philosophical might not be the word you're looking for as far as the point of all this is.
If the Alien has a premise of solving problems and analysing situations with PARRY programming then this might just be an underated game once it comes out...

...Now I'm excited

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed