prometheus novelization

Started by AvPTotalWar, Mar 14, 2014, 10:41:53 AM

Author
prometheus novelization (Read 16,715 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Apr 13, 2014, 06:53:02 AM
Quote from: Glaive on Apr 12, 2014, 10:46:05 AM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Apr 08, 2014, 06:00:57 PM
Quote from: Glaive on Apr 08, 2014, 05:34:40 PM
The more I read about this...the more it makes absolutely ZERO sense...

I mostly agree. It doesn't really seem like the novel adds enough to even remotely justify the trouble and expense to get a copy. Maybe people who really like David will get a kick out of it, but that's about all the appeal I see.

That's not what I meant...I don't think this book actually exists.
...and if it does, it's some crazy fan-fiction that was somehow published ONLY in Japan...Spaihts certainly didn't write it.

Has ANYONE got a copy of this?

How often does a film writer, write his own novelisation?
Not often, but it actually does happen. According to Wikipedia, the novelization of the 007 movie 'The Spy Who Loved Me' was written by its own screenwriter. There's another example I used to know, but I can't remember it offhand at the moment.

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

Well I've taken the plunge, and my copy should be arriving some time within the next few weeks. My Japanese is a bit rusty, but I'll just take this as an opportunity to brush up. Might even do that fan translation someone suggested if I'm feeling particularly ambitious.

Anyone else ever order a copy in the 4+ years since the last time this topic saw activity?

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

As time goes by, I'm thinking we really need Titan to make a Prometheus novelization happy.  There is so much that can be expanded upon now, and Alan Dean Foster could do that very well.  If he were given a go, and given free reign to reference some of the footage that was not used in the movie, while most importantly, filling in the blanks of what happened in the 10 years between Prometheus and Covenant, it would be an amazing read, and maybe, it would give fans what they were hoping to get out of Origins.  I invite fans to add their voice to this, in a hope that we will get the novelization many of us want..

The Old One

The Old One

I would rather a better writer than Alan Dean Foster, also a Prometheus Novelization has tons of potential to essentially rewrite Prometheus into a more intelligent story.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Was this actually licensed by Fox?

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Wweyland on Jun 11, 2018, 04:03:59 PM
Was this actually licensed by Fox?

SM?  Do you know if this was licensed by Fox?  Just curious about the Japanese version..

SM

SM

I don't know for sure but I don't believe IP laws are so slack in Japan that it wouldn't be licensed.

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

Quote from: SM on Jun 11, 2018, 08:46:13 PM
I don't know for sure but I don't believe IP laws are so slack in Japan that it wouldn't be licensed.

That's not quite true, just a common misconception due to the differences. They certainly have such laws and regard them very seriously, it's just a matter of what can be done within the scope of such laws that differs, though this has changed in more recent years.

China though, all bets are off. They just don't give a shit and will put out anything over there.

Anyway, I actually have a copy of the Japanese novelization sitting in front of me, and the publication info pages says, in English, I quote:

"© 2012 Twentieth Century Fox Corporation.
All Rights Reserved.
Japanese novelization rights managed with
Twentieth Century Fox Licensing and Merchandising."

It also has all the standard boilerplate, isbn numbers, publisher info (http://lindapublishers.com/), etc etc etc

Was published on September 3rd, 2012, for the record.

The Old One

The Old One

Fan translation? lol

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

I don't understand the question.

I imported a copy of the book for my own reading, though my japanese is a bit rusty though it's slow going. I have been considering transcribing a translation though.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: HybridNewborn on Jun 12, 2018, 07:34:02 AM
Quote from: SM on Jun 11, 2018, 08:46:13 PM

That's not quite true, just a common misconception due to the differences.
Judging by the rest of your post, you misread what SM said. He's saying that he thinks it is licensed (as you demonstrated by pointing out the copyright notice).

SM

SM

Quite.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Thousands of years from now, scholars on ancient internet history will be having endless debates over interpretations of SM's enigmatic posts.

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

Ah, my bad.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Honestly, it would be great if legendary writer Alan Dean Foster wrote Prometheus, fleshing it out any way he can, but if another author were to come on board and treat the subject matter seriously, in game..

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed