Composer Kevin Riepl Talks Aliens Colonial Marines

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 12, 2011, 06:13:18 PM

Author
Composer Kevin Riepl Talks Aliens Colonial Marines (Read 6,470 times)

Corporal Hicks

Colonial Marines composer Kevin Riepl has been talking with horror movie site Bloody Disgusting about his work scoring games and movies:

“I do my best when approaching a scene, to score the human element, if there is one, rather than the environment. To assist in the emotional connection between the story and the viewer. If said scene is all visuals of environments like the lairs, I may at times score it with a mixture of organic orchestral instruments with touches of modern synthetic elements mixed in to really bring the viewer into the setting. In other instances I may score the scene to help connect the viewer to the cold, damp, and completely foreign vibe of the environment.”

He talks briefly about his work on Colonial Marines. Thanks to sh0dan and Brother for the news.

Vertigo

Vertigo

I wish Kevin all the best after his recent health troubles, but I'm not a fan of his work. The use of horns and other orchestral instruments was utterly out of place in UT2003/4, the other composer's synth/bass music generally fitted much better. I don't think orchestral instruments sound at all organic, personally - they tend to be too strident and domineering.

Riepl's semi-orchestral style is a much better fit with the Aliens universe, but that failure to understand and capture the Unreal universe is a cause for concern.

scarhunter92

Brother

Brother

Lotta people seem to think he's the right person for the job. Love the fact that the respects and sees as inspiration the work of Horner and Goldsmith on aliens.

Space Sweeper

I can definitely vouch for Riepl. His work on Gears of War was excellent, and he does have a similar sound to Horner and Goldsmith.. this should be great.

JediMasterGabe

He's pretty good. Gears 1's soundtrack was pretty good but pales in comparison to Jablonsky's much improved sequel. Although Repeil laid the ground work for him.

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Quote from: JediMasterGabe on Jan 13, 2011, 02:41:39 AM
He's pretty good. Gears 1's soundtrack was pretty good but pales in comparison to Jablonsky's much improved sequel. Although Repeil laid the ground work for him.

I agree. He did a great job but Jablonsky took it to a whole new level of epicism. :)

Azanode

Azanode

Eh, I felt the soundtrack for Gears 2 was generic epic movie stuff. I can barely remember any of it. Gears 1 however felt more unique and memorable to me.

Corporal Lewis Hicks

Hoping A:Cm Is some thing like The films sound track, Or Alien Trilogy that soundtrack rocked!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed