Social Media Posts Regarding "The Predator"..

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Jul 30, 2016, 04:50:01 PM

Author
Social Media Posts Regarding "The Predator".. (Read 423,844 times)

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 24, 2018, 09:42:08 PM
AVP is dull. AVPR is just stupid.

Event Horizon and Soldier are far better films from Anderson's filmography. At least in those instances when he started borrowing from elsewhere he was merely paying homage and still making something new.

Just rewatched Event Horizon(now on Amazon Prime) for the first time in many years, and it's just as scary and effective as I remembered. Amazingly creepy atmosphere and imagery.

OpenMaw

The only issues I have with it are the "trademark" excess style that Anderson puts into his movies. The gratuitous use of zooms, slow motion, etc... There's a couple bits of awful foley in the finale, and the comic relief black character brings the movie down in a couple of bits. Otherwise it's one of the better science fiction horror films made in the 90s. I'm glad the plans for a sequel were torpedoed.

Speaking on that subject. Both absent from the script and the teaser/trailer we've seen... Horror. I really do wish this series wouldn't forget the great opportunities it has for horror, dread, and tension based suspense.

PredBabe

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 23, 2018, 10:22:00 PM
The first time the Alien and Predator clashed should have carried the weight of something like the fight between the T-800 and the T-1000 in Terminator 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heJBfReQF9Q

This. It should have had a strong buildup before they both went head to head.
I saw Event Horizon long after I watched AVP and my immediate thought after was how the hell did he screw up the general tone for AVP? Granted the studio probably played a hand with certain decisions for that movie as well as AVPR... As annoyed as I was with the creature designs, the 13/14 year old me was still excited with everything. I think, story wise, AVP surpasses AVPR but Predators beats them both with ease.

Scorpio

What makes AVP stand out is the concept of the pyramid and Earth being visited by predators in the ancient past.  Both ideas are really interesting and well executed.

AVPR and Predators also have some good ideas, but not as good and well executed as AVP, IMO.

The Old One

The Old One

I'd really like to know what good ideas AVPR has that isn't the very basic concept behind Wolf.

426Buddy

Dont get him going :laugh:

OpenMaw

The pyramid is an interesting concept but I would argue it's not that well realized. It's barely utilized in the script except to divide the characters. You'll note it's never really utilized in the main concept of the film. The Alien versus the Predator in a moving pyramid... Ya know?

Just imagine having the Celtic vs Grid fight broken up by the Pyramid shifting, and Celtic's arc became almost Ahab-esque where he's trying to find and kill Grid to avenge his fallen brother Gill.

As to AVP-R, it has plenty of interesting ideas, but it again, doesn't make the most of any of them. People keep saying Wolf is a great Predator, but he's really not. His opposition is trash. It's one of the very few things the script actually did better than the final film, showing Wolf actually having to fight the aliens and taking injuries.

Remember that scene in AVP:R where the alien is eating the body, and Wolf just sneaks up behind it and stabs it with his spear?

This is how that was originally scripted:

Poor writing in the script aside, the concept was actually better before it got finised down into "Wolf is a badass. Wolf is a badass. Wolf is a badass."

You can't really have tension, excitement, etc... If the Predator just steam roles the aliens.

By that same token I think this will likely be a weakness of The Predator. The Upgrade will doubtless steam roll the others and that really makes me sad. It's a tired Hollywood cliche.

skull-splitter

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 25, 2018, 04:15:07 AM
The pyramid is an interesting concept but I would argue it's not that well realized. It's barely utilized in the script except to divide the characters. You'll note it's never really utilized in the main concept of the film. The Alien versus the Predator in a moving pyramid... Ya know?

Just imagine having the Celtic vs Grid fight broken up by the Pyramid shifting, and Celtic's arc became almost Ahab-esque where he's trying to find and kill Grid to avenge his fallen brother Gill.

As to AVP-R, it has plenty of interesting ideas, but it again, doesn't make the most of any of them. People keep saying Wolf is a great Predator, but he's really not. His opposition is trash. It's one of the very few things the script actually did better than the final film, showing Wolf actually having to fight the aliens and taking injuries.

Remember that scene in AVP:R where the alien is eating the body, and Wolf just sneaks up behind it and stabs it with his spear?

Poor writing in the script aside, the concept was actually better before it got finised down into "Wolf is a badass. Wolf is a badass. Wolf is a badass."

You can't really have tension, excitement, etc... If the Predator just steam roles the aliens.

By that same token I think this will likely be a weakness of The Predator. The Upgrade will doubtless steam roll the others and that really makes me sad. It's a tired Hollywood cliche.
Oh wow, never read any of the script, but this is the meagerest description I've seen in a looong time.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Tetsujin on Jun 25, 2018, 11:36:00 AM
https://twitter.com/trailertrack/status/1011132530345562112

This is getting better by the minute  ;D

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 25, 2018, 04:15:07 AM

I never thought wolf was a total badass, just that he was really cool to watch because of his great physical language, the great sound effects used with him, and his design that i absolutely love. And very cool weapons too.

TheBATMAN

How can anyone say AVP has decent pacing? Nothing happens for the first 50 mins which would be fine if they actually bothered to build up the characters. Then 30 mins later the film is over! It's horribly disjointed.

skull-splitter

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 25, 2018, 03:12:58 AM
What makes AVP stand out is the concept of the pyramid and Earth being visited by predators in the ancient past.  Both ideas are really interesting and well executed.

AVPR and Predators also have some good ideas, but not as good and well executed as AVP, IMO.
Well executed? You mean hamfisted and hammering the nail in the coffin of the franchise by dictating what comes after?

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Jun 25, 2018, 01:20:22 PM
How can anyone say AVP has decent pacing? Nothing happens for the first 50 mins which would be fine if they actually bothered to build up the characters. Then 30 mins later the film is over! It's horribly disjointed.

You're actually the first one i see on here that bring that up, and it's a very solid point. I couldn't agree more. Boring and not that interesting regarding characters. Cheer up people, Shane Black is coming ! This era of bland characters is over !  ;)

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

The pacing in AVP was good. While the characters may not be the best, I loved the buildup to the pyramid, the foreshadowing with the whale bones and water tower, the discovery of the tunnel, the ancient dead bodies. All of it gives pieces to the overall puzzle. You wanna talk bad pacing? Aliens is boooooring. It takes an hour and 15 minutes until the aliens show up and what do you get until then? A bunch of cartoon military grunts who can never shut the he'll up about how badass they are. We know everything that awaits them because it's just the first movie, just with more Aliens.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 25, 2018, 04:58:23 PM
Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jun 25, 2018, 04:30:41 PM
The pacing in AVP was good. While the characters may not be the best, I loved the buildup to the pyramid, the foreshadowing with the whale bones and water tower, the discovery of the tunnel, the ancient dead bodies. All of it gives pieces to the overall puzzle. You wanna talk bad pacing? Aliens is boooooring. It takes an hour and 15 minutes until the aliens show up and what do you get until then? A bunch of cartoon military grunts who can never shut the he'll up about how badass they are. We know everything that awaits them because it's just the first movie, just with more Aliens.

Sad

.....happy? :-\

426Buddy

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jun 25, 2018, 04:30:41 PM

Sad

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed