Which Alien prequel had their characters commit more idiotic decisions?

Started by Voodoo Magic, Mar 12, 2020, 10:43:03 PM

Which Alien prequel had their characters commit more idiotic decisions?

Prometheus
15 (78.9%)
Alien Covenant
4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closes: Aug 24, 2036, 10:43:03 PM

Author
Which Alien prequel had their characters commit more idiotic decisions? (Read 3,410 times)

Gr33n M4n

Not wearing suits really broke the immersion.

SM

Quote from: Gr33n M4n on Mar 13, 2020, 12:12:13 AM
Those tattoos are idiotic. Plus he got lost with a 3D map and a video link.

Plot contrivance.

Quote from: Gr33n M4n on Mar 13, 2020, 03:32:31 AM
Not wearing suits really broke the immersion.

After telling the audience, explicitly and repeatedly, that the planet was a much better option for a colony - your immersion can't have been that great if that's what broke it.

Gr33n M4n

Gr33n M4n

I was just being silly in my first post. :) But a 5th grader knows that the air, water and even soil contains thousands of micro-bacteria and pathogens. The movie tells the viewers it's safe so the characters can have an excuse not to wear helmets and get easily infected. You're going to an alien planet that you know almost nothing about. No rational person would go without a suit in that situation. In the film, they understand that the planet is dangerous enough and they need firearms, but not to wear a mask. They had to bring guns to justify an action seen.

The Old One

The Old One

It's not official yes but it's one way the Prometheus Special Edition pleasantly surprised me patching multiple things. Making the inclusion of Peter Weyland and the Last Engineer more worthwhile. Generally fleshing out Holloway, Shaw, Vickers, Janek, Millburn, Fifield, and ultimately making them "Getting Lost" more believable and creating more internal consistency within the affects of "The Pathogen" overall. Making Prometheus more like Covenant perhaps.

Considering the Covenant's MUTHUR at landing audibly tells them the planet's safe, the trusting of it and all implied from, following on, the inclusion of weapons makes sense in case of anything hostile human or otherwise, so ultimately I've got to agree to disagree.

bobby brown

But how could mother know the planet was safe? Did she scan for danger? all kinds of it?

She was wrong though.

The Old One

The Old One

Covenant's MUTHUR appeared to considering the eagerness of Covenant's party.

Perhaps the Pathogen being apparently "biological" and "artificial" makes it nearly impossible to detect.

SM

Quote from: bobby brown on Mar 13, 2020, 05:55:51 AM
But how could mother know the planet was safe? Did she scan for danger? all kinds of it?

She was wrong though.

"Mother - scan for DANGER!!"

dave1978

Still think Dallas in Alien needs a special mention,  crawling into a tight airduct looking for what he knew to be a huge Alien with just a cobbled together flame thrower,  rather daft decision.

SM

That was a mix of repentance and being very light on for other ideas.

Kradan

Quote from: SM on Mar 13, 2020, 06:13:48 AM

She was wrong though.

"Mother - scan for DANGER!!"

I can see McBride pulling this off  :D

Voodoo Magic

Let's bring guns on this safe planet!

She first needs to learn how to do a better job shutting off music and showers during an alarm.   ;D

Of course even an AI can only make judgments based on input, on what it knows, and with any Alien planet it's severely going to be lacking. The film is just again taking the audience for granted again requiring viewers to accept a great deal of stupidity because suits & helmets and cautious realistic behavior would interfere with their poorly crafted script.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah it's really unbelievable in Star Wars or Star Trek, or you know after the Covenant's MUTHUR probably comprises records on every scanned planet in history, it shows the audience the fact humanity thinks it's above everything else. (Because in terms of the plot itself, helmets and suits require it nearly change nothing, you just get the Pods and Motes to bypass them.) 

Voodoo Magic

I never thought it would come to the day where Star Wars and Star Trek was used as benchmark criteria for comparison of believable, more realistic sci-fi. :P

The Old One

The Old One

The Expanse or Annihilation then okay, point being it's nowhere near unbelievable as stated, in fact it's nothing new to good science fiction film or the Alien franchise, see Aliens and AlienĀ³ in fact, Covenant's MUTHUR does scan whilst the others do not even acknowledge such potential factors. (Especially when the crew landed without knowledge of any other civilization present, or past, unlike a certain other crew of best of the best.)

Gr33n M4n

The entire premise is terrible. I can't believe that people are trying to reason away this stupidity carried over from Prometheus.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed