What is the most likely format for a last Alien prequel?

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Dec 31, 2019, 06:19:51 AM

If we're lucky to have a follow up to Covenant. What is the most likely format for a last prequel?

Film
29 (70.7%)
TV Film
2 (4.9%)
TV series
12 (29.3%)
Short films
0 (0%)
As part of an anthology of short stories
0 (0%)
A soft reboot for a movie or TV series
3 (7.3%)
Novel
6 (14.6%)
Comic Book
3 (7.3%)
Graphic novel
4 (9.8%)
Video Game
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
What is the most likely format for a last Alien prequel? (Read 3,837 times)

Immortan Jonesy

With each passing year, the future of a last prequel seems more uncertain. But let's say we're going to get the final chapter to conclude David's arc, in some way. So with that in mind...What is the most likely format for a last prequel in your opinion? You can vote up to 3 times, if you want.

Local Trouble

A novel written by ADF.  Please.

The Old One

The Old One

I think nearly without a doubt it's most likely a film, whether that's in Theatres, Streaming or a self contained series is unclear. But if Disney bypasses it completely for I think, the inevitable soft-reboot set after AR that in every other way emulates the first three films. It's mostly likely to be a graphic novel, and then perhaps a novel adaptation but that's the dark timeline.

426Buddy

I'm not worried, it seems to generally take at least 6 years to get an Alien sequel. I think we'll get a third prequel film as long as Scott is still around.

Kimo

Kimo

Don't really think a film will happen
1 Ridley's not getting any younger.
2 last 2 films were mediocre.
3 Disney now own the rights. (For better or for worse)
4 to many sequel/prequel flops will classic franchises like Terminator, Alien, Star Wars ect.

At best the might release a comic or novel.

Kradan

Movie. Period.

Huggs

Movie. If we even get one.

acrediblesource

With Disney and all forcing Fox to rethink franchises, id say a TV series thats like THe Terror in terms of rated R Horror, but and possibly pulling in viewers with a younger cast or something liekk what they are doing with Lost in Space. Limited one seasons and thats it. Add as much spice to the lore and mythology as they like with each new episode.

Kimarhi

TV series would only work if it ended up on a pay service like HBO (which will never happen).

Not saying that there aren't any good cable tv shows, my highest rated series out of the last decade was The Americans.........but that series didn't require the sets and cgi (or practical effects if they go old school) necessary to make an Alien tv show believable. 

If its just some group of joes walking around in the same corridor for fifty minutes every episode then take that shit somewhere else.

I still dont think its going to happen and that the series will be rebooted, which I think is even more likely since anything concerning the franchise in the film department has went completely silent since the disney purchase, but if it had to happen then a movie should be the format. 

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Dec 31, 2019, 08:22:54 PM
I think nearly without a doubt it's most likely a film, whether that's in Theatres, Streaming or a self contained series is unclear. But if Disney bypasses it completely for I think, the inevitable soft-reboot set after AR that in every other way emulates the first three films. It's mostly likely to be a graphic novel, and then perhaps a novel adaptation but that's the dark timeline.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jan 01, 2020, 04:52:28 PM
I still dont think its going to happen and that the series will be rebooted, which I think is even more likely since anything concerning the franchise in the film department has went completely silent since the disney purchase, but if it had to happen then a movie should be the format.

Even if they don't make a last prequel, you can have almost both in one single movie, so to speak. I mean, if we get a film taking place in the original timeline (everything in-between Alien & Aliens, Aliens & Alien³, Alien³ & Alien Resurrection and Post-Resurrection) you can still being able to display past events through a character or plot device. It might work with a decimated David, I tkink  :P (ala Bishop in Alien³)

Just as a basic example: After the events of Alien, a new crew explores LV-426 (or even Origae-6). Among their findings is a dismantled David. David is reactivated. From now on, you can give clues about what happened to him through dialogs or even flashbacks. It sounds stupid, but it might work.  :-\

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 31, 2019, 08:18:45 PM
A novel written by ADF.  Please.

He did a good job with Covenant novelization.

0321recon

0321recon

As the chaps at Building Better Worlds have mentioned, unless it makes money and have a tight script with Scott not helming the film, the prequels are done. Covenant unintentionally threw itself the pathogen and killed itself by due to its story choices it made that turned off the Prometheus and original film fans. Perhaps they'll do a novel or comic books to finish the story. Beside that, give up the ghost and move on. Perhaps they'll Disney+ Alien. Seeing the success of The Mandelorian, they can do something similar with Alien and gauge what to do afterwards with the franchise.

Kimarhi

I doubt we will ever see Alien on Disney plus unless the pg13 the franchise.

Local Trouble

They should give it to Rian Johnson.

Nukiemorph

I think we'll get a Hulu mini-series if we're lucky.

Or maybe they'll do what they did with Rise of Skywalker - release a movie that leaves out tons of important information, but also release a visual dictionary that contains the answers.  We'd get a soft reboot and David would never be depicted again, but a blurb in a dictionary would tell us what happened with him.  It's stupid and annoying, but I'd take it at this point.

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 01, 2020, 11:12:22 PM
Just as a basic example: After the events of Alien, a new crew explores LV-426 (or even Origae-6). Among their findings is a dismantled David. David is reactivated. From now on, you can give clues about what happened to him through dialogs or even flashbacks. It sounds stupid, but it might work.  :-\

I've been thinking about this a lot lately...  They could make an action-driven soft reboot colonial marine fan-service wankfest, but insert David as a surprise late in the story.  He could either show up alive as a major antagonist, or he could be defunct and the characters could play back clips from his memory.  Then Disney/Fox could market it as a safe crowd-pleasing return to James Cameron form, but give prequel fans some closure.  I really don't see why it couldn't be done.

The Old One

The Old One

I can see that working, I'm fine with a soft reboot in the style of the first three Alien films but I worry that it may lean into Aliens in particular to the point of parody, I'm beyond the point of exhausted with nostalgia in the place of real content anyway.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed