Did you feel Alien Universe better before Prometheus?

Started by Drukathi, Mar 24, 2019, 11:08:41 AM

Did you feel?

Yes.
41 (47.7%)
No.
45 (52.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author
Did you feel Alien Universe better before Prometheus? (Read 33,542 times)

Drukathi

Only with Quadrilogy (ignoring AvP movies).

Xenomorph is a star beast. Maybe - an ancient species. Maybe - the bioweapon of Space Jockeys.
Space Jockey is unknown space race. Maybe - they all victims of aliens. Maybe - they still alive.
Dark Universe - greedy companies, dirty atmosphere, unknown cold space, fatal destines of Ripley's friends (she is always alone).
Natural characters (with behavior) - trackers, marines, prisoners, clerks, colonists.
Retro-futuristic design.

Another things it's another materials (this is a more romantic aspect) - comics, games, books. The Pilots (Space Jockeys) catacombs in AvP2, some books, epic Aliens: Apocalypse - the Destroying Angels. I never forget Aliens: Book One comic.

And after Prometheus - Alien Universe didn't become more complete or more clearer. We have Engineers (biomechanical Engineer was pretty good), but many people hope that the Soace Jockey exist as different race for many reasons. We know xenomorph origin, but many people just don't take it for many reasons, and hope that Aliens from Derelict still have mystery origin. We have two planets (LV-223 and LV-426) so close and both have crashed Juggernauts. Btw, what happened with LV-223 - why colonists from Aliens don't use more perfect  planet? Yeah, I know - because LV-223 didn't exist in 1986, but at the start LV-233 was be LV-426. Why they separate one planet on two with similar parts? Why biomechanical aesthetic was replaced by stone and mechanical? It's a strange, because the last Engineer was biomechanical. Questions, questions... It's a good. But I this that this questions only for questions - they don't have answers.

I love Prometheus and Alien: Covenant and I think that this movies gave a lot of potential for Alien Universe. But... where is it? I know only Fire and Stone and Life and Death. Oh, and "dogs" scanners from Prometheus in ACM :). No another stuff. Why? Because they want another movie that will close the arc of Engineers? Or because in the original Quadrology there are elements that works clear for stories? Look - Alien: Isolation, Defiance, ect. comics and books.

As I say - I love Prometheus and AC, but I think that Alien Universe not only received but lost something own. Maybe it's just a nostalgia for mystery and possible potential of Space Jockeys and origin of xenomorphs.

Kradan

I don't know. Honestly, i don't know.

I love Covenant  I'd like to see its sequel. Prometheus didn't pissed me off but also didn't make me really excited to watch it again.

I like mystery that prequels presented. None of the films from Quadrilogy have made me thinking about it so much. Prequels are what really makes my mind go wild with all theorizing and trying to fill the gaps. And i like that prequels have gone in different direction, direction that was pretty unexpected, direction with which many fans disagree. But i like it and want to see conclusion of the David's story  I'll prefer if it won't ended up on LV-426 with Derelict's crash but as its own story though.

But...No i really don't have answer for that. Prequels are already there. they're part of universe and lore. I think the only thing we can do is move on : no matter if it will be next prequel or something else. Just continuation. Just something new.

Samhain13

Samhain13

The prequels made the alien universe/lore worse. For me both movies failed at what they were trying to do, yeah just like AVP.

Prometheus is just ripoff of several others works with crap creatures that doesn't get anywhere, characters were fine but it screwed up the space jockey and made the relationship between aliens, engineers, goo, humanity confused and over complexed. It was an unecessary predictable addition to the alien universe but it looks good, I can give Ridley that, its a good movie, not a good alien movie.

Covenant feels more like an alien movie even if in the end its not, while Prometheus was about humanity and the engineers, Covenant is about David. Its about A.I., the aliens are not the main thing about the movie again. The aliens are like thrown at the end because Fox told Ridley to, it feels he is more interested about making movies about ancient astronauts and A.I. than aliens, but well Fox won't give him the budget to do such movies if they aren't set on the alien universe.

Then engineers get wasted and don't even look cool anymore, now their civilization being reduced to one stone city of "civilians", those were some low budget stone age engineers wannabes, at least the guy from Prometheus looked "alien" and high tech, even if that last part with Shaw fighting him with an axe was straight out of a slasher movie and his facial expressions... ugh. Again movie looks good, enjoyed the characters overall, but the stuff related to the creatures screws it up.

The EU material that tried to tie with the prequels was quite a wasted mess too, even if it has its good moments. I don't like retconning stuff, but since its a trendy with Fox, I wouldn't care if eventually they did the same with the prequels.

SuperiorIronman

I don't hate Prometheus and it's honestly a mixed bag for me.
I loath Covenant for how awful it is and not even the perfect organism (Michael Fassbender) can save it.

But the things I dislike about the Prequels just make the universe that much smaller.
A really big moment that stuck out for me in how bad the Prequels are is it trying to claim that our DNA is a perfect match to the Engineers. It would've been one thing to say that we share a DNA strand which links our ancestors to them but to try and claim that the Engineers developed us to become smaller less handsome Ian Whyte creatures is stupid. It not only borders on creationism but it tries to throw out real world science on evolution and the truly fascinating developments Humanities ancestors took to get where we are now. The role God plays as the creator regarding what it is and what we believe it is isn't addressed in either film and is only here for philosophical musing. Much of the problem of the Prequels is that it raises questions it refuses to answer in any capacity and that just isn't conducive to long term story telling opportunities. Seeing as what little we have in way of answers is purely speculative and that nobody can answer any damn thing because nobody knows what the Hell Ridley Scott is doing.

It basically over-complicates and simultaneously under-cooks its lore to the point that it's virtually unworkable. At least post-Covenant.

-No Alien pre-Covenant
-No Engineer contact pre-Prometheus or after.
-Nobody knows what the Black Goo was even for let alone what its even supposed to do
-Nobody knows how or why the Engineers created Humanity
-Nobody knows how Humanity even had the location of the Engineer's weapons base
-Nobody knows anything about the Engineers culturally as to answer the "who" part of the five W's

And nobody can answer these lingering questions because for all intents and purposes the Engineers are dead. So we are effectively back to the same place we had been at the mid-way point of Prometheus when we believed that all the Engineers are dead and our faith is called into question for all of that to be deemed irrelevant because a robot wanted a penis. So the fundamental foundation of our Prequels is subsequently invalidated because the Prequels did a do over of the bad guy's plan from Resurrection.

Samhain13

Samhain13

The prequels also made the alien universe much more human centric due to the creationism stuff. Both the alien and the space jockey are related in a way to humanity. They don't exist as their own unique things anymore.

The Old One

The Old One

I love aspects, but the prominent aspects- I hate is, a dissuasion.

Prometheus?
Conceptually interesting, Myriad of problems though.
Basic scientific inaccuracy.../Believable science; "DNA MATCH"
Characterization ≠ Caricaturization Character logic.
Demystifying the SJ & Alien.
Pathogen logic. (Rectified by Paradise Lost/Covenant though.)

All stemming from the scripts.
(Rich production, casting,
cinematography, imagery. Ideas.
Poor scripts.)

The Human ancestors?

I enjoy the idea, conceptually.
But not as a replacement for the SJ.
Ideally the Juggernaut's they have- are an emulation of a long extinct race-
known for living death AKA The Alien.

At most, a good final entry is able to patch the ramifications of the prequels.
At least? The prequels decanonised a myriad of garbage.

SM

Both prequels were marginally better than 3 and Resurrection, so No.

Samhain13

Quote from: SM on Mar 25, 2019, 01:17:49 AM
Both prequels were marginally better than 3 and Resurrection, so No.

3? Really? Prometheus is a better alien movie than Alien 3?

Out of curiosity how do you rate the alien movies on a scale of 0 to 10?

The Old One

The Old One

I believe SM's digs all the Alien films to various degrees.

Huggs

Everything was great until resurrection.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 25, 2019, 01:27:38 AM
Everything was great until resurrection.
^ Relatively.

SM

The dig is universal.

PsyKore

I'd say no. But I feel like there needs to be better consistency and maybe not such a slapdash approach to certain things.

Voodoo Magic

Unfortunately...

The Old One

The Old One

The amount a fanatic selection edict though? No.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
No Disney Star Wars lol
[close]
[close]
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed