Aliens themed mod for Battlefield 2142

Started by Frosty98B, Jun 15, 2017, 09:22:48 AM

Author
Aliens themed mod for Battlefield 2142 (Read 41,641 times)

XSlayer300

XSlayer300

That's looking to be a nice mod so far! I'm trying to replicate the eyepiece seen in that shot to Doom, but so far no attempts have succeeded on it.

That aside, how are you going to explain that W-Y is hostile to the marines, besides very questionable research to xenomorphs? Are they like PMCs from A:CM? Who guard the place while the Marines unintendedly barge in during an investigation? Or something like a Commando unit (of A3), complications that rose high that the Commandos are intending to capture the Xenomorphs, but Marines don't want to and try to negotiate, but failed and resorted into a bloody (both acid and iron) skirmish?

It's honestly a bit of anomaly to me on how will the W-Y faction will go. If A:CM did badly, and if other games did it good, then... how'd you go for my question?

Frosty98B

Quote from: XSlayer300 on Jul 24, 2020, 11:52:12 AM
That's looking to be a nice mod so far! I'm trying to replicate the eyepiece seen in that shot to Doom, but so far no attempts have succeeded on it.
Cheers, buddy! Unfortunately, unlike its predecessor BF2, Battlefield 2142 doesn't seem to support shaders, so the only way to make the background was to add it as an image overlay of the screen. Luckily, I got it to work with a few blending effects and it turned out pretty nice. Good luck with your project, I'd try coming up with some helpful advice but, unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with Doom.
Quote from: XSlayer300 on Jul 24, 2020, 11:52:12 AM
That aside, how are you going to explain that W-Y is hostile to the marines, besides very questionable research to xenomorphs? Are they like PMCs from A:CM? Who guard the place while the Marines unintendedly barge in during an investigation? Or something like a Commando unit (of A3), complications that rose high that the Commandos are intending to capture the Xenomorphs, but Marines don't want to and try to negotiate, but failed and resorted into a bloody (both acid and iron) skirmish?

It's honestly a bit of anomaly to me on how will the W-Y faction will go. If A:CM did badly, and if other games did it good, then... how'd you go for my question?
Very good question, I'm actually still not sure if I'll keep the W-Y faction as I feel like the movies never really gave us a reason to believe that it could ever use military power against the USCM.
However, after looking at all the Alien 5 concept art I realised that the corporation probably would eventually weaponise the alien and I really liked the idea of a faction that not only utilises the firepower of the marines but combines it with xenomorph soldiers. Plus, having a (partially) human faction oppose the marines makes the gameplay a bit more symmetric so that the mod doesn't turn into a full-on zombie mod but makes use of the Battlefield essence.

I agree, though, that it all seems a bit unlikely given that the corporation had to use the marines to protect its colonies and didn't seem to have any military/mercenary foces of its own.

XSlayer300

XSlayer300

Quote from: Frosty98B on Jul 24, 2020, 08:33:55 PM
Cheers, buddy! Unfortunately, unlike its predecessor BF2, Battlefield 2142 doesn't seem to support shaders, so the only way to make the background was to add it as an image overlay of the screen. Luckily, I got it to work with a few blending effects and it turned out pretty nice. Good luck with your project, I'd try coming up with some helpful advice but, unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with Doom.

I can probably do the image overlay stuffs just fine, though I am not an expert on shaders for the source port, GZDoom, which is the platform I am modding with. But the real problem is how will those boxes appear and resize according to monster height. I heard it is possible to do this on ZScript (a coding platform along with DECORATE), but since I am not an expert to it, might as well pass. So for my basis on the Smartgun's HUD on my mod, I'll use A:CM's, though it is less accurate to the base material.

Speaking of, the Smartguns tracks and detects infrared targets, but since the xenomorphs are not that type of targets you'd be seeing on the HUD, or notably tracking. You can't track an alien this way. A mistake that many games that feature both the alien and the smartgun (AvP, A:CM, etc.). So hence, for my mod (since it takes place years after Aliens), the Smartgun there has updated tracking mechanics and sensors inherited from the Sentry turrets (which does detect aliens and fires upon them) and the Motion Tracker. I used that as an excuse to also update the Smartgun's HUD to A:CM's, though in a much bare bones feature.

For reference, here is how A:CM's Smartgun HUD looks like.

Besides that, I wonder if there are any cosmetic changes to W-Y's weaponry, since in your mod, they use the firepower from the Marines. Like, the Pulse Rifle being black instead of brown bess or olive green akin to the commandos' pulse rifle in A3. That kind of stuff maybe.

Frosty98B

Frosty98B

Quote from: XSlayer300 on Jul 25, 2020, 04:33:18 AM
But the real problem is how will those boxes appear and resize according to monster height. I heard it is possible to do this on ZScript (a coding platform along with DECORATE), but since I am not an expert to it, might as well pass. So for my basis on the Smartgun's HUD on my mod, I'll use A:CM's, though it is less accurate to the base material.
Yeah, but having a non resizable target rectangle means its size will always be comparable to that of the aim circle. That's why I made it so that once enough of their areas overlap, the circle appears and the target is locked. That's pretty much how the Technical Manual describes that part of the process, so I guess it's not perfect but close enough, especially with the limits the game. :laugh:

Speaking of, the Smartguns tracks and detects infrared targets, but since the xenomorphs are not that type of targets you'd be seeing on the HUD, or notably tracking. You can't track an alien this way. A mistake that many games that feature both the alien and the smartgun (AvP, A:CM, etc.).
I wouldn't call it a mistake as we don't know for sure. The thing is when one of the characters in the hive said that perhaps the aliens aren't visible on infrared, the aliens were hybernating (in a really steamy environment). They didn't even notice the marines until Apone used the flamethrower to burn the chestburster which is when they started waking up.
I mean I like way you avoided this issue but I'm not entirely convinced by the argument that they give away no heat signature in the first place.

Besides that, I wonder if there are any cosmetic changes to W-Y's weaponry, since in your mod, they use the firepower from the Marines. Like, the Pulse Rifle being black instead of brown bess or olive green akin to the commandos' pulse rifle in A3. That kind of stuff maybe.
Good point. I've had the same idea of giving the W-Y olive green pulse rifles but it always comes down to the fact that the faction might be removed eventually, so why bother, you know. I'd like to finish the works on aliens and marines first. But the idea of W-Y having its own military has so much potential that I think they deserve more than just a reskin of the USCM weaponry.

XSlayer300

Quote from: Frosty98B on Jul 26, 2020, 04:17:06 PM
Good point. I've had the same idea of giving the W-Y olive green pulse rifles but it always comes down to the fact that the faction might be removed eventually, so why bother, you know. I'd like to finish the works on aliens and marines first. But the idea of W-Y having its own military has so much potential that I think they deserve more than just a reskin of the USCM weaponry.
Ah, neat. So, what inspirations are you going for their weaponry? A:CM has a load of original weaponry aside from the usual pulse rifles we all saw and love, but they're not as satisfying to fire, you can always tweak them. There is also the choice for W-Y to use contemporary weaponry, such as Prometheus and Covenant, albeit modified to an extent. If you're planning to use a specialized class for the W-Y faction along with the xenos, roles such as sniper or demolitions, then AvP has you covered, the main frontlines would be the xenos. But yeah, it's good to have some thoughts with other ideas, despite the fact that the mission for the mod will remove them eventually.

Frosty98B

Frosty98B

Acheron DEMO 3 [UPDATED]

Third Demo News Article

Quote from: XSlayer300 on Jul 27, 2020, 01:56:25 PM
Ah, neat. So, what inspirations are you going for their weaponry?
That's the thing, right now it looks like they will simply be removed in the future. :-\

Frosty98B

The sidearm customisation is finally available.

Corporal Hicks

Coming along nicely, Frosty! Keep it up!

Gr33n M4n

Are there vehicles planned? Like, will the Marines have an APC?

Frosty98B

Quote from: Phobos on Nov 10, 2020, 05:39:35 AM
Are there vehicles planned? Like, will the Marines have an APC?
They already have the APC, it just lacks a proper interior which is being worked on.

Frosty98B

Cheyenne (work in progress)

Facehugger

Bracken's World (work in progress)

Corporal Hicks

I'm glad to see you're still working on this! Also rather surprised at the choice for the map, but so digging it!

razeak

That is a great idea for a map.

BlueMarsalis79

It is certainly visually.

Frosty98B

Frosty98B

I'm glad you liked Bracken's World so far! Here's a little update on the Cheyenne, I know it's taking forever but I'm doing my best. :laugh:

EDIT: We think we might actually be able to have the dropship pick up an APC (M577 or its AA variant) and carry it to the LZ. The game's physics look like they might just allow it!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed