Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books

Started by felix, Sep 14, 2017, 01:45:44 AM

Author
Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books (Read 122,797 times)

SM

SM

That's just the tip of the iceberg.  ;D

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 24, 2018, 08:48:13 AM
So I woke up this morning to finish the book off before work. I already want to start rereading it. I really really enjoyed it. If you reduce it to its very basic plot it sounds like your typical Aliens mad scientist story. But Alex White just turns it all on its head. It's the most original Alien story for a long time.

The characters are all interesting - even if they're not likeable. His villain is just so f**king horrendous that I just wanted to reach into the page and smash his head in myself (in a way that his writing as so great at doing that). His "hero" is not so much a hero but also really interesting. What he does with the Alien is also a very nice twist and something actually new. I really loved this.

Yeah I'm about half way through my second read and it's even better this time.

Spoilers - srsly...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Sudler is Burke dialled up to 11.  The whole thing with the hugger injecting something very like black goo.  Blue 'riding' Marcus.  Marcus' reaction to killing Javier.  There's a lot of fresh stuff in this.
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Ultramorph

^5/5 positive, definitely spoilers. I'm glad to see everyone is enjoying the book so much.
Spoiler
This protein the facehuggers release does sound suspiciously close to the black goo, so that's cool to see.
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Just started this, actually shockingly enjoying so far.

Corporal Hicks

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/literature/reviews/alien-the-cold-forge/

My review is up now.

I'll hopefully be chatting to Alex tomorrow night so any questions please throw them my way.

Samhain13

A 10/10? Things are looking good.

HuDaFuK

Is this actually out then? I thought it was an Alien Day release.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It came out the 24th apparently.

B.M.D posted a review up too.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/04/24/alien-the-cold-forge-book-review-solid-sci-fi-wrapped-in-pulp-franchise-tra

QuoteTo be entirely honest, I didn't have high hopes when I started on Alien: The Cold Forge. Franchise-perpetuating paperbacks are often underwritten exercises in nostalgia, pulling iconography from the film or video game franchise upon which they are based less to tell an engaging new story in that universe than to conjure good will from the sense memory of seeing those icons realized on screen. And after reading Wampler's review of last year's Aliens short story compilation, I just wasn't confident that the light novel treatment would do justice to the mythos of Ridley Scott's and James Cameron's future hellscape. Color me surprised, then, that author Alex White has his head in the right place with The Cold Forge, crafting a story that could almost be entirely divorced from the Alien franchise but still tonally feels consistent with the films that inspired it.

They also liked it.

Ultramorph

Quick interview with White on Bloody Disgusting. He seems like a cool guy.
http://bloody-disgusting.com/books/3495268/alien-cold-forge-author-alex-white-takes-xenomorph-interview/

SM

Corporal Hicks

My chat with him last night rescheduled to tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to turn that around quickly and release it Friday.

SM

SM

He had an interesting take on Ash.

The Cruentus

Quote from: SM on Apr 26, 2018, 06:37:48 AM
muthur9000 had a yack with Alex White too.

Just read it, interesting, nice to see a writer not hiding his opinions or trying to be political. I think ADF is another writer who isn't shy about his opinions on the franchise.

Hudson

Hudson

Whoa, glad I decided to pop back in today. Forgot it was Alien day, also forgot that this book came out. Coming in on Saturday and I'm excited to catch up and see what it's all about.

Corporal Hicks

I just got off the blower with Alex. Really fun poddy! Really cool guy. Looking forward to getting this edited.  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed