Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 03, 2020, 03:53:38 PM

Author
Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis! (Read 96,732 times)

Corporal Hicks

Spoiler
Yes. Don't even want to say that much outside of spoiler tags.
[close]

Engineer

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Feb 24, 2021, 04:22:58 PM
I'm trying to finish a re-read of the Cold Forge before opening mine. Will a refresh enhance one's experience of Into Charybdis so to speak, without giving anything away?

Yes. But it's not a requirement either. Alex has put out a few spoiler-free interviews now, and as they put it, there are references which people who've read the cold forge will see/appreciate but you'll get all the information you need to know in this book to fully appreciate this as it's own story too.

TheBATMAN

I see. Thanks both. Looking forward to it. The Cold Forge has been as good as ever.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Feb 24, 2021, 08:30:16 PM
I see. Thanks both. Looking forward to it. The Cold Forge has been as good as ever.
No problem!!

And sorry Hicks! I didn't see your reply until just now! :-/

Also in case anyone is interested, really good (and long) interview with Alex White here about Into Charybdis (spoiler-free)

And here, it looks like there's a chance for people to win a copy of the book in North America (edit: I don't know why there's an error but the link still works if you click that, I just tried it):

https://twitter.com/dailydeadnews/status/1364627629475835906

And lastly, if you listen to that interview above, this is the bookstore Alex mentions that you can order autographed copies of any of Alex's books from (for North America/ US and Canada). Don't think there's a time limit on this either; seems like a pretty sweet arrangement Alex has worked out here!

https://www.read-it-again.com/alex-white-authors-page?fbclid=IwAR3ONyWcjGi4jq5Zw6MVS-BF88HDgj5iwNtZbyjP0637imYxR3y7vv04wV4

426Buddy

Got my copy today, cant wait to dig in!

Voodoo Magic

Got mine today too! But I'm already 8 chapters in thanks to audible.  :)

TheDerelict

I just finished the audiobook ten minutes ago. Really interested to hear everyone's opinion about it. I think again I'm going to be in the minority. 😬

The Cruentus

Quote from: Engineer on Feb 24, 2021, 08:55:48 PM
Also in case anyone is interested, really good (and long) interview with Alex White here about Into Charybdis (spoiler-free)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqHkqRfIKx0

It is sad that this plagiarist is still getting enabled by the community. I won't be watching that interview on that channel.

19 days to go to get my copy.  :P

BlueMarsalis79

Have to be real with you, people will not stop, he's popular enough to get interviews with the creatives now. The best you can do's cite your sources on your own projects, even if that's just a mass wiki reorganization, and do that the best you can muster.

The Cruentus

Actually, that just might make things even worse for the plagiarist, as when you become more mainstream, you end up being under more scrutiny and bound by standards. Public naming and shaming is worse for those who have got a reputation and status to lose, especially when its built on lies and the work of others.

426Buddy

It's unfortunate that the community by and large has seemingly embraced him.

The Cruentus

Indeed, though some are probably just are not aware of his misdeeds.  A lot of plagiarists have gotten where they are based not only on the work they have stolen but also by the lack of awareness of their audience.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Considering the amount of stuff he does not cover at all or cover correctly you're correct.

This type of channel always does, making profit by either reading the wiki article, or simply describing what happens in the piece of media with no research done.

For example I noticed a video the other day that covers the Neomorph but does not even give us the full lifecycle because that requires research such as citing Alien The RPG.

It's an epidemic of willful ignorance.

Engineer

Quote from: The Cruentus on Feb 26, 2021, 10:30:12 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Feb 24, 2021, 08:55:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqHkqRfIKx0

It is sad that this plagiarist is still getting enabled by the community. I won't be watching that interview on that channel.

19 days to go to get my copy.  :P

Ouch! Honestly didn't know about the plagiarism here.
I don't usually listen to these sorts of things; seems like a waste to hear people talk about what I already know about. I usually just stick with avpgalaxy and strange shapes.

On the plus side, this being an interview with the author, there wasn't anything to be plagiarized!! Lol

BlueMarsalis79

Just got my copy,
first though a bit of whining as I am want to do:

Stop advertising actual garbage in the presence of written art such as novels with but not limited to:

"It was all a dream essentially." 
A blonde Amanda Ripley and purple Working Joes.
"I am Ellen Ripley's psychic (somehow) descendant (somehow) Xenomorphs fear my blood!"

Otherwise on a presentation level it's a vast improvement on previous novels.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed