Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 03, 2020, 03:53:38 PM

Author
Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis! (Read 98,402 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 08, 2021, 10:43:16 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 08, 2021, 08:47:13 AM
I'm looking forward to speaking to Alex on the show so they can go into more detail about all of this.

I am very excited for this! I've been through the spoiler-free interviews with Alex that I could find, but what I'm really itching for is your post-release one where they can properly dig into everything.

Still waiting for my actual book to show up. I can't really focus on audio books.  :'(

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Mar 08, 2021, 11:29:04 AM
Spoiler
I'm going to have to read through again to digest all the finer details more closely, but the only thing that seemed out of place was the Weyland Industries facility over the engineer ruins. How does this work? I assume it was after Prometheus and pre-merger but that is a huge revelation that should really affect the rest of the series in a big way. If Weyland Industries had access to the pathogen all this time then what does that mean for the rest of the following films and plot? This feels like Charbydis' version of the 'where the eggs came from' mystery from the Cold Forge. Am I missing something here?
[close]

Spoiler
Given the layer of Russian structures between the old Weyland facility and the current Hasanova data center, I can only presume that this Engineer installation wasn't in Weyland Industry's hands for very long. Like you said, it would have to have been discovered at some point post-Prometheus, pre-merger, which is a very short span of time. We don't know the details of how the merger played out, however, so while reading my mind just kind of drifted to the idea that Weyland Industries lost assets during the merger (which sounds fair to me, if they were hemorrhaging money after the disappearance of both Peter and Vickers) and that Russia scooped this one up at the time that Weyland and Yutani were coming together.

As for how this planet was discovered in the first place, I'm wondering if maybe another star map was discovered somewhere else in the galaxy? It definitely feels like there's a whole story to tell regarding this...
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Almost done. On the home stretch..!

Engineer

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 08, 2021, 11:55:19 AM
I'm looking forward to speaking to Alex on the show so they can go into more detail about all of this.

I am very excited for this! I've been through the spoiler-free interviews with Alex that I could find, but what I'm really itching for is your post-release one where they can properly dig into everything.

Still waiting for my actual book to show up. I can't really focus on audio books.  :'(
I have a hard time focusing on audiobooks too; my mind starts to wander. One thing that helps me is to speed it up to 1.2x, so you blast through it a little faster lol
What I really want to do sometime though is try reading one of the books while listening to the audiobook.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 08, 2021, 03:54:17 PM

I have a hard time focusing on audiobooks too; my mind starts to wander. One thing that helps me is to speed it up to 1.2x, so you blast through it a little faster lol
What I really want to do sometime though is try reading one of the books while listening to the audiobook.

RidgeTop has done that and seems to like it actually.

Engineer

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 08, 2021, 03:56:16 PM

I've tried/planned on it a few times but the timing is always off. Lol. Like for phalanx, for example, my copy of the book didn't show up until like 2 months later and by then I had already listened to the audiobook because I couldn't wait lol

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 08, 2021, 04:02:28 PM

I've tried/planned on it a few times but the timing is always off. Lol. Like for phalanx, for example, my copy of the book didn't show up until like 2 months later and by then I had already listened to the audiobook because I couldn't wait lol

Ah, indeed, I don't think I could have waited the two months either! :)

RidgeTop

Yep, it's become my novel reading method of choice, with the narration sped up 1.5x so it's about the speed I read in my head. Two sensory inputs gives me better focus and comprehension. Only issue is then you gotta buy the Audible version as well as the Kindle one, but I think one is discounted if you get both.

Engineer

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 09, 2021, 02:18:31 AM

Yep, it's become my novel reading method of choice, with the narration sped up 1.5x so it's about the speed I read in my head. Two sensory inputs gives me better focus and comprehension. Only issue is then you gotta buy the Audible version as well as the Kindle one, but I think one is discounted if you get both.
Ha! Sounds like we think alike! I thought it be a better way to retain more of the story. My drawback though is I have to have a physical copy rather than kindle so I'm paying full price for the audiobook and the physical book... no discounts :-/

426Buddy

426Buddy

Finished!

Have to collect my thoughts a bit but I think this might have topped TCF for me. I loved it, it was a terrific read. It had fun, intensity, gore, action, and horror. Not to forget the incredible setting, i'm not likely to get Charybdis and Hasanova out of my mind for some time.
Spoiler

Did anyone notice the lack of a traditional queen in the novel?  Also the Midnighters have encountered the alien 26 times? Aliens are everywhere at this point in the timeline somehow.

What a crazy end to the Blue Marsalis story, not what I was expecting but it was really well done and interesting.
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 11, 2021, 03:09:03 AM
Spoiler

Did anyone notice the lack of a traditional queen in the novel? 
[close]

Spoiler
Yep, seems like Blue sort of cracked the "Queenscode" but then applied it directly to herself, rather than the "intended" method of impregnation via Facehugger, which yielded some radically different results.

Makes me wonder about the exact nature of her "children" being spawned...

Also makes me wonder if, as far as Ridley is concerned, this "Queenscode" is something of David's design, or if it was something the pathogen sort of generated on its own as a way of securing ability to propagate without David's guiding hand. The way I see it, either option is vaild – either David created the Queen by design, or the Queen came into being as a way for the Aliens to sort of usurp their creator, as creations so often tend to do in this universe.
[close]

426Buddy

426Buddy

Spoiler
I was a bit confused since this is post Aliens and it didn't sound like anyone had encountered a normal queen since. Something had to produce the 300 plus eggs needed in fairly short order. Not to mention all the other hives the Marines encountered. I'm still a bit confused here.  I thought for sure Blue would meet a queen especially after the aliens refused her control.

Maybe there was a queen but White just wasn't interested in mentioning them?

I do love how White weaves the prequels in so well
[close]

I'm desperate for some discussion of this book lol. Also I would love an actual visualization of
Spoiler
what Blue turned into.
[close]

Engineer

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 11, 2021, 03:30:09 AM
Spoiler
I was a bit confused since this is post Aliens and it didn't sound like anyone had encountered a normal queen since. Something had to produce the 300 plus eggs needed in fairly short order. Not to mention all the other hives the Marines encountered. I'm still a bit confused here.  I thought for sure Blue would meet a queen especially after the aliens refused her control.

Maybe there was a queen but White just wasn't interested in mentioning them?

I do love how White weaves the prequels in so well
[close]

I'm desperate for some discussion of this book lol. Also I would love an actual visualization of
Spoiler
what Blue turned into.
[close]
Spoiler
I posted a visualization for blue a few comments back. It's one of the unused creature concepts from Alien3. :-)
Here it is again though so you don't have to go looking for it lol
https://i2.wp.com/bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/32.jpg
[close]

426Buddy

Spoiler
Thanks Engineer! I did see that one you posted. I figured that was the inspiration but I really meant to say that want an actual visualization of the actual character in the book, not just the Alien3 concept art that inspired it.
[close]

Engineer

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 11, 2021, 10:52:16 PM
Spoiler
Thanks Engineer! I did see that one you posted. I figured that was the inspiration but I really meant to say that want an actual visualization of the actual character in the book, not just the Alien3 concept art that inspired it.
[close]
If there was a "like" feature here I would have used it just now lol

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed