Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 03, 2020, 03:53:38 PM

Author
Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis! (Read 96,639 times)

Russ840

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 02, 2021, 02:53:28 PM
Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 02, 2021, 02:34:53 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 02, 2021, 02:20:37 PM
I'm close to halfway done. You ladies and gents are just too quick!

How are you finding it so far ?

Quite enjoyable!  Not pleased with what occurred to my personal favorite character thus far, but alas, I must concede to the nature of such things!  :)

Lol. It's a hash universe

Nightmare Asylum

Just reached the end of "Part II" and man, this is really going all out.....

Gonna wait til I actually finish the book before I start talking about it (can't wait to start opening all of the spoiler tags in this thread) but I am going to have a lot to say. Really great stuff, and I think it is pretty safe to say that this is the best take on the Colonial Marines since Aliens.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 02, 2021, 05:55:43 PMI think it is pretty safe to say that this is the best take on the Colonial Marines since Aliens.

As bad as some of the shorts were, I honestly think a couple of the stories in Bug Hunt might just edge it in that regard, but I certainly agree it's the best portrayal we've had in a full-length novel.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

https://link.bookriot.com/view/59490fc06ce95404598b4db4dq5y9.4l6/fd6cc678

Spoilers in the review.

QuoteThere are so many elements of Alien: Into Charybdis that I could point to if I wanted to praise Alex White's ability to bring the Alien universe to life. But it was their understanding of the true, real world horrors underlying the series' nightmarish sci-fi plots that really sold me in the end. After all it isn't the xenomorphs that make the Alien franchise frightening. It's the people.

SiL

.... No pretty sure it's the Aliens. ???

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SiL on Mar 02, 2021, 08:04:04 PM

Yeeeeeeeah...

Weyland-Yutani is emblematic of a system being heartless, but that's not the same as being deliberately evil. LV-426 was a tragedy because Burke was cutting corners, not because the company, as a whole, wanted to kill people for the heck of it.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 02, 2021, 07:05:34 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 02, 2021, 05:55:43 PMI think it is pretty safe to say that this is the best take on the Colonial Marines since Aliens.

As bad as some of the shorts were, I honestly think a couple of the stories in Bug Hunt might just edge it in that regard, but I certainly agree it's the best portrayal we've had in a full-length novel.

I skipped Bug Hunt, so I can't speak to the one, but I love that, at least up to the point where I am in the book...

Spoiler
The Colonial Marines are essentially the bad guys here. Sure, there are a few good people among their ranks, but the actual militarized institution in and of itself is the dominating extension of evil corporate scheming and plotting in this book. I find that to be an incredibly compelling examination that furthers the "America during the Vietnam War" theme of Aliens, but taken another step farther this time. Very much along the lines of Cameron's Avatar, actually.
[close]

SiL

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 02, 2021, 09:04:27 PM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 02, 2021, 08:04:04 PM

Yeeeeeeeah...

Weyland-Yutani is emblematic of a system being heartless, but that's not the same as being deliberately evil. LV-426 was a tragedy because Burke was cutting corners, not because the company, as a whole, wanted to kill people for the heck of it.
Pretty sure my dad left the theater checking under his car for an Alien, not a faceless corporation. But you never know.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 02, 2021, 09:04:27 PMYeeeeeeeah...

Weyland-Yutani is emblematic of a system being heartless, but that's not the same as being deliberately evil.

While I agree, in fairness the military-industrial complex in this novel are absolutely a bunch of c**ts :)

Quote from: SiL on Mar 02, 2021, 11:19:24 PMPretty sure my dad left the theater checking under his car for an Alien, not a faceless corporation. But you never know.

For some reason I got a mental image of him bending down to find Paul Reiser hiding under there.

SiL

WY is deliberately evil in that they deliberately endanger others with no regard for their wellbeing, but they aren't the sort of monstrous, explicitly homicidal entity you see it -- and others -- portrayed as in the EU. Remains one of my biggest gripes -- even AR makes this mistake. Just use livestock, for God's sake.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 03, 2021, 09:30:47 AM
For some reason I got a mental image of him bending down to find Paul Reiser hiding under there.
About seven years too early but that would be amazing :laugh:

Or he checks under the car and just sees the Nestle logo staring back at him, if we're going for real evil.

The Cruentus

I always dislike the evil corp angle, I hope this new book isn't influenced by it like other recent media. Between the comics and the new Alien game, it doesn't seem like fox wants to try anything new.  :-\

TheBATMAN

Finally finished. Loved it for the most part.

Gentleman Death

Finished the book and overall it was good. I had a few issues here and there but it's still up there with the better Alien novels.

BlueMarsalis79

Something's desperately off with me because I just don't have the motivation to get into this.

Local Trouble

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed