Alien: Harvest - Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Films

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 23, 2019, 07:20:15 PM

Author
Alien: Harvest - Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Films (Read 20,583 times)

Corporal Hicks

HuDaFuK

Are these teases of the BTS stuff we're supposed to be getting next month?

Corporal Hicks

Are we supposed to be getting something more?

They've been sharing behind-the-scenes of the shorts after each has been released.

HuDaFuK

You could be right. But the way it was described it as "exclusive" behind the scenes stuff made me think it would be new.

The Old One

The Old One

Does it make you care? No, I don't think so.

Corporal Hicks

Care about what, sorry?

The Old One

The Old One

"Directed by Benjamin Howdeshell, pulls no punches when it comes to special effects and gore, but it still finds a way to make you care about everyone in the small, broken crew running from a monster."

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 29, 2019, 05:50:59 PM
Having just watched this again, I enjoyed it far more second time around.

It's not especially nuanced or clever, but it is entertaining. As someone else said, at least one of these shorts had to go for the straightforward, Alien-stalks-people-and-kills them route. And I still got a good, macabre laugh out of the conclusion.

Other than doubling down on the mad robots, it makes for a nice companion to Alone because it's the polar opposite in terms of style and tone.

Anyone have any idea who the "Laurel Tooms" character is supposed to be? She's listed in the credits but I only see four in the film (plus the Alien).

Having watched Harvest recently, I think the android thing lets it down ny being too over the top. I mean seriously, smiling and having the "yes I am evil" facial expressions? that was a minus for me personally. It would have been better if the synthetics face was expressionless, apathetic rather malevolent.
The other thing that let it down was the facehugger effects too,  it could have better done as a practical effect and it would not be too hard me thinks as you can get all sorts of alien merchandise online these days.

Other than that it was one the ones that I enjoyed better and it was good to see more of the adult alien. The sets were great as well.

Interestingly, the actress who plays Hannah is Jessica Clark, an actress who has had some major roles in mainstream media, namely as Lilith in season five and six of True Blood. I am not sure if there is any other known actors in these shorts, other than the woman who played Lorraine in Ore. Makes me wonder how they got her, did use most of the budget to hire her or did she do it for same amount as the other actors?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 02, 2019, 11:03:55 AMInterestingly, the actress who plays Hannah is Jessica Clark, an actress who has had some major roles in mainstream media, namely as Lilith in season five and six of True Blood. I am not sure if there is any other known actors in these shorts, other than the woman who played Lorraine in Ore.

The guy who played Nass in the first short has been in a few things, most obviously the first Inbetweeners film, and is starring in a new comedy series starting on British TV in the near future.

SM

QuoteHaving watched Harvest recently, I think the android thing lets it down ny being too over the top. I mean seriously, smiling and having the "yes I am evil" facial expressions? that was a minus for me personally. It would have been better if the synthetics face was expressionless, apathetic rather malevolent.

Like this?

The Cruentus

Nah, thats completely different, add in some evil eyebrows, a kubrick stare and more malevolence and there may be some similarity.

SM

If only there was some precedent for robots smiling evilly...

Huggs

Huggs

Harvest just gets better every time I see it.

Quote from: SM on May 02, 2019, 08:34:35 PM
QuoteHaving watched Harvest recently, I think the android thing lets it down ny being too over the top. I mean seriously, smiling and having the "yes I am evil" facial expressions? that was a minus for me personally. It would have been better if the synthetics face was expressionless, apathetic rather malevolent.

Like this?

http://fo4mw16y1z42edr6j2m4n6vt.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/ash1-560x288.jpg

No, that's more of a "i pooped in their donuts" face.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: SM on May 03, 2019, 01:35:30 AM
If only there was some precedent for robots smiling evilly...

If only, but smiling pleasantly without kubrick stares will just have to do.

The Old One

The Old One

The prototype, the artform "perfect" A.I. -various terminology from Ridley Scott himself.

So David's hardly a precedent setter for anything, by Ridley Scott's own admission.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed