Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Oct 06, 2018, 11:33:27 AM

Author
Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much? (Read 43,998 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 11, 2019, 02:50:30 PM
No, this was before Covenant existed.

No, not for loving it but subsequently it impacted that love of it, narratively. I thought I understood Prometheus on a "deeper level" than others.
https://y.yarn.co/43f15e71-2cc1-4417-a2ae-5c2baca961fc_text.gif

Interesting. Whenever you're up to it one day, I would learn more of what those perceived deeper level understandings were, and then what subsequently dispelled them.  :)

The Old One

The Old One

Mhm, PM.

SiL

I'm rewatching the movie for an article, and just to go back to the "How many Aliens are there?" issue:

There are literally three Aliens, including Chet, when the police station has apparently been taken out. Darcy doesn't discover Carrie until immediately after Eddie can't raise Dispatch.

In the theatrical cut, Carrie has already popped; the offspring may be adults for all we know. In the unrated, they're just popping when she walks in.

AvPR actually turns into a wonderful example of how unnecessary special effects can actually interfere with your story and make it worse. If they'd left Carrie as already popped, the following scene of Wolf hearing the chaos in the streets makes sense; with the babies fresh, we're left with a situation where everyone's being overrun by...  Chestbursters?

Samhain13

That would be funny to watch.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 11, 2019, 03:02:32 PM
Mhm, PM.

Ping me a copy/paste if you don't mind, i don't think we've ever discussed that fully.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Mar 17, 2019, 05:23:58 AM
Quote from: The Old One on Feb 11, 2019, 03:02:32 PM
Mhm, PM.

Ping me a copy/paste if you don't mind, i don't think we've ever discussed that fully.

Nope. Still waiting...

P-Rock

AVP-R is definitely in my top 10 of worst movies of all time.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: P-Rock on Mar 18, 2019, 10:35:19 PM

Your top 10 of worst movies.... is also your worst 10 of best movies...

P-Rock

What!?!

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 19, 2019, 01:40:06 AM
Quote from: P-Rock on Mar 18, 2019, 10:35:19 PM

Your top 10 of worst movies.... is also your worst 10 of best movies...

https://media.giphy.com/media/zjQrmdlR9ZCM/giphy.gif

Aha! I've known that!

LastSurvivor92

Personally AvPR looks better and all the intense blacks look more detailed and reveiled on Blu-ray and on an OLED. I mean in comparison to how the first film looks the second one is just so much more pretty and violent. Plus the wolf Predator was extremely badass and it felt and looked more like a Predator. At first watch in theaters and in early years I hated AvPR but over the years it's grown on me and it's aged particularly well for being hailed as such a bad film. I like it.

The Old One

The Old One

The idea Wolf's a badass is a myth.

Samhain13

Wolf is just another victim of the plot.

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed, the plot, the plot, the plot.

Samhain13

In my headcanon of the unrated version Wolf called for backup after finding out aliens were onboard the ship but he decided to try to deal with the aliens while the others were on the way. The skinning part can't be solved that was pointless. At the end the Predalien should have knocked Wolf's mask off instead, none of that homage there, and Wolf should have activated the self-destruct before going melee on the Predalien. Better than the RE2 ending with goverment.

With some fights, the plot demanded Wolf to make mistakes otherwise he would have killed all the aliens on the sewers, and no more movie. Hell if the Predator that shoot the ship was smart he would just self destruct instead of sending a distress call, but then again no more movie.

The whole premise was a mess from the start, why that scout ship even went back to Earth? Several elements of the plot would need to be changed, reason for the ship's crash(no shooting plasma inside on it), Wolf could have been already hunting on Earth and decided to check on the crash, other Predators couldn't arrive on time etc.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed