AvPGalaxy Podcast #26 - Alien Resurrection

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 13, 2015, 07:20:38 PM

Author
AvPGalaxy Podcast #26 - Alien Resurrection (Read 12,092 times)

Corporal Hicks

When you mention Alien Resurrection you will almost unanimously get a negative response. Many people don’t like it and for a variety of reasons. I recently became quite fascinated with how a film with so many talented people involved in making it would turn away so many.

And so OmegaZilla, RidgeTop, Xenomorphine and I sat down to discuss Alien Resurrection for the latest episode of the AvPGalaxy Podcast as we dissected the work of Jean Pierre Jeunet, Joss Whedon, Brad Dourif and the rest.

We talked the good, we talked the bad and we talked the downright ugly (looking at you Newborn). It’s a fairly lengthy episode, clocking in at over 2 hours but we discuss quite a lot.

130515_02 Alien: Covenant: One Year Later - AvP Galaxy Podcast #68

We discussed Ripley 8 and her connection to the Aliens in detail.

During the podcast we mentioned a few things that I thought you listeners might appreciate being able to see for yourself – the Fangoria interview that talks about the Alien design, the Chestburster prop with the cheeky grin and Den Beauvais portfolio with his concepts for Alien Resurrection figures.

As always, if you have any thoughts on the topic of Alien Resurrection or would like to leave us any comments, feel free to post down below! And be sure to check out our previous episodes for all your Aliens, Predator and Aliens vs. Predator podcast needs!

Tristanthejawsfan

Still say Alien 3 is a less enjoyable film.
By a LONG SHOT! XD

Corporal Hicks

Pft! Alien 3 is a misunderstood masterpiece! It's a bit of a mess in terms of plot but it looks and feels much more like an Alien film.

Alien³

Imagine if they had written Call's character as a human made by robots with the inner moral conflicts she would suffer from that. Instead of robot made by robots.

Darkness

I remember when I first saw Resurrection. Renting it in the video store in about 1998/1999 but it wasn't until I got the Legacy set in the early 2000s that I started to hate it. Cloning was just an absurd idea, to bring Sigourney Weaver back so I was never on board with that. It has somewhat mellowed on me though and up until the Newborn, it's a fairly watchable movie. I still love the underwater aliens but I still rank the Newborn as the single most horrendous creation out of all the franchises and nothing in AvP Requiem came close to that.

Though I disagree Omega, I thought's ADI's work on Resurrection was terrible and by far their worst movie. Technically, I guess you can say it all works but in terms of design, everything they did there was atrocious.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

When I say they outdid themselves I refer mostly to the sheer quality of the animatronics and make-up -- which is top of the line.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Omegazilla on May 14, 2015, 06:32:14 PM
When I say they outdid themselves I refer mostly to the sheer quality of the animatronics and make-up -- which is top of the line.

Certainly!

Whilst the designs leave a lot to be desired - for both regular and the Newborn- the work that went into them is absolutely top-notch, especially that Newborn. You can fault the designs (despite working for what was needed of them) but the craftmanship was amazing.

Alien³

If you guys do a podcast all about Alien 3 I wouldn't mind jumping in ;)

Corporal Hicks

No plans as of yet but I'll keep that in mind mate.  :)

Born Of Cold Light

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Resurrection opened up a whole new world of possibilities that could lead to some truly amazing stories.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on May 16, 2015, 04:37:46 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again; Resurrection opened up a whole new world of possibilities that could lead to some truly amazing stories.

It just wont unfortunately.  :-\ I would have loved to have had Ripley 8 explored properly!

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 16, 2015, 06:30:54 AM
Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on May 16, 2015, 04:37:46 AM

It just wont unfortunately.  :-\ I would have loved to have had Ripley 8 explored properly!

I'll just have to assume that she started transforming into a full blown Alien creature in a Cronenberg's The Fly manner

Lycan2012

This movie was great. It open a ddor to more stories and possibilities.  Another thing it does is in a way bridge the alien franchise to blade runner with the cyborg,  being that un blade runner and in alien resurrection it is mentioned that the cyborgs are run aways and are wanted

EvilMark

EvilMark

I always liked Resurrection.  It wasnt prefect by any means, and the tone was a little too light hearted for an Alien movie, but overall it was pretty good and ive seen worse uses of the cloning gimmick.  That newborn was hideous though.

Alien 3 sucks hard, assembly cut is the only version that's even watchable.

JoseChung

Had no idea you guys had a podcast, I really need to come here more often!

Downloading now..

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed