Introducing a new Rebellion staff member to AvP-Galaxy

Started by ajm, Feb 10, 2010, 10:17:49 AM

Author
Introducing a new Rebellion staff member to AvP-Galaxy (Read 171,674 times)

webley13

updated my 1st post

will the dedicated server allow for admins to disable weapons and or classes?

will it be possible to disable motion blur and head bobbing and swaying so its not so hard on the eyes if you play for hours on end?

Brother

A lil' clarification about ranked servers and can dedicated servers be ranked.

Barry burton

Will the ps3 version support 1080? thanks.

AJL

AJL

1. SDK/Source Code... I think it was said in some interview looong ago that such things
were not possible but you might think about it again later on... Anything changed ??

Is it... Certain, Propable, Possible, Doubtfull or Extremely unlikely that we get those  ??

2. Crouch/Duck... Why is this "standard" feature missing... ?? Is there some compatibility
problem with other gameplay features like trophy/stealth kills or something or did you simply
consider it to be unnecessary for some reason. (I certainly have found the inability to duck
occasionally quite frustrating...) ??

3. Alien Jumps... While on the ground alien can Jump without aiming at anything but while
crawling on walls and ceilings, the Jump button simply will not respond unless your aiming at
some "target" you can reach... Which is Very Frustrating!

( Wouldn't it be better to allow aliens to jump any time like when on the ground and IF there
is nothing on reach then simply let the gravity take where it may... ?? )

4. "Wall" Tail... Aliens are able to zap at their enemies very quickly/instantly with their Tail
while crawling on Walls and Ceilings.. Considerably faster than when on the ground... Is this
Intended advantage or oversight ? Either way... The inconsistency is somewhat annoying ::)

5. "Ceiling Kills"... It would seem that all Stealth and Trophy kills are always done on the
ground, is there any possibility in some DLC to give aliens their "trademark" ceiling kill where
aliens reaches down to grab some *thing* and then pull it up to be executed... ??

6. Dragging... What about aliens dragging victims around... ?

The Replacement

Hi there Eric and all other [REB] members.

A couple of questions for you:

Why did you guys decide against the use of Iron sights with the pulse rifle and shotgun? Personally I feel the ability to use iron sights in FPS' is a huge catalyst for immersion into the game. I know at this stage there is no possibility of it being implemented, and don't get me wrong, judging by the demo the game is going to be simply wonderful, but I'd love to know the dev teams reasons for omitting the use of Iron sights.

I noticed on the menu screen for the PS3 that the xray image of the face hugger rotating is not there. But it is there in the 360 version. Have there been many graphical sacrifices Rebellion has had to make on the PS3 version?

I have a feeling these questions are not a huge concern for the general forum population, more, they are personal curiosities. But I'm REALLY curious, so if you can spare the time a short answer would be very much appreciated.
Kind regards.

[REB]Trigger

Hi all,

I thought I'd get the ball rolling and answer what appear to be the hot topics of conversation at the moment, to the best of my abilities.

Matchmaking on the PS3 Demo

We are of course, still working on this - I can only echo Dave's comments about how sorry we are that this managed to get through without us seeing it in test before hand.  We are in constant communication with Sony to get this fixed, and I will update you with further news as and when it is available.

Dedicated Servers

These are for the PC only, at this time there are no Dedicated servers planned for PS3/X360 - but it's not impossible for this to change further down the line.

Balance concerns

This is more a general statement, rather than addressing any specific point at this time.  We note the discussion, both here and elsewhere regarding the Alien/Marine/Predator being overpowered, depending on where you go, and who you read.

At this time we will not be adjusting the balance before the release of the game - but please believe that it is always being evaluated, and once some time has gone by post-release we will make adjustments as/if necessary.  We plan on supporting this game post-release, as opposed to launching it and then moving on, and while I cannot promise a patch by <Date> and that it will have <Your Desired Balance Change/Suggestion> I can say that nothing is ruled out.

We recognise that a lack of tutorial for the melee system has resulted in a steeper learning curve than we would have desired, so in that vein I would like to call out a so far (I believe) unrecognised manoeuvre - the "pump fake" as well call it.  (better name suggestions welcome!)

http://spong.com/feature/10110049/Interview-Aliens-vs-Predator-Rebellions-David-Brickley
QuoteEqually problematic was the process of performing a heavy attack, which couldn't be interrupted in the older build. Once you pressed the button, you were committed to pulling that move off, but now if the situation changes, you can pull out of it. So you can bluff somebody with that tactic.

If you initiate a heavy attack, and then initiate a block once the animation starts you will "pump fake".  To an opponent it looks like you are initiating a heavy attack and they will try to interrupt (light attack) which ends up landing on your block...  It should provide another alternative starting manoeuvre when staring down an opponent in a 1v1 and you're both melee gods!

Hopefully the news about the "pump fake" provides and provokes some further discussion.  We are watching (and playing)!

Finally, thank you to Tidomann for producing his videos showing the animations for the melee (and anyone else who may have done something similar that I am not aware of).  We hope that over time and with practice, the strengths of the melee system become more apparent.

Cheers,
Eric

Corporal Hicks

Eric, I merged your new thread with the original as I think some of the those questions have been asked in here.

I'd also like to inform folk that this thread is purely for asking questions and for Eric to answer them. If there is a particular q/a that you wish to further discuss, take it to an existing thread or make a new one.

[REB]Trigger

Fair enough, that was quick!  :)

will do what you prefer, with regards to responses - new thread or posting in existing thread.

Corporal Hicks

Thanks.  :) We just forsee this thread getting a bit messy and we'd like to keep it as clean as possible for you, for us moderators and for people who would be asking the questions.

Xenomorphine

Welcome from the moderating team! :)

I'd like to ask a question about the Predator HUD: In one of the earliest adverts, we saw the Predator go through the classic 'snapshot' zooming stages. This was very authentic to the films and was a refreshing change to Rebellion and Monolith's last attempts at portraying it. There were many times, during gameplay of those earlier two titles, when I can remember trying to magnify/demagnify and, because it wasn't instant, it cost me precious seconds when an unexpected enemy came up and started hacking away at me.

But now we've got the demonstration and it seems the old implementation's returned: A slow, scrolling zoom, instead of the snapshot effect shown in the films.

Is this something which will change in the final product and was the original advert a result of experimenting with this feature?

Also, it's been said that Aliens using 'acid spit' will only be faced in single-player, but not multiplayer. Considering the Alien is in need of more attacking variety, why was this decided? Or is it something which is under consideration?

AJL

Quote from: [REB]Trigger on Feb 10, 2010, 11:42:40 AM
If you initiate a heavy attack, and then initiate a block once the animation starts you will "pump fake".  To an opponent it looks like you are initiating a heavy attack and they will try to interrupt (light attack) which ends up landing on your block...  It should provide another alternative starting manoeuvre when staring down an opponent in a 1v1 and you're both melee gods!

Hmm... This sounds Veery Good ::) But... Is the Block the only way out ??

Can you abort your Heavy Attack and go with your Light Attack instead ??
( Aborting your HA by bringing up your Block won't do you much good if
the enemy responded to your HA charging with ranged weapon... )

Dusk

Dusk

Here comes my re-post in form of a question.  ;)

When a Predator player uses the Smart-Disc, is it possible to re-balance and change it so that when he throws the Disc and gets attacked while he guides it A) He gets stunned so he can't throw the disc immediately again or B) loses the Disc, since he's been interrupted in calling it back.

Right now, Predators have too much of an advantage in melee, because all they have to do is to wait till the Disc returns and then throw it again without taking aim.

Question 2, Counters.

Will the Alien be able to knock the Predator down during a counter in the finished product? We're talking after all about a species that can dent and tear down steel doors. It seems quite strange that an Alien doesn't have the strength to throw down a Predator.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Can you speak a little about the decision to include so few weapons?

My best guess is that you were working under the concept of economy of design, and didn't want a case of duplicate weapons, where two weapons would fulfill the same role. For instance, there's no point to a rocket launcher when a single pulse rifle grenade neatly puts an end to both an Alien and a Predator.

Am I correct in my guess, or were there other reasons?

EDIT:

Two more:

What's with the Alien growling in multiplayer? I know it goes off when you move at normal pace, but what about when Alien players are stationary or slowly creeping forward? What sort of sound effects give clues as to your position then, if any? I ask because said sound effects often spoil attempts at stealth, especially against Predators.

Finally, what health levels is each species set at? My best guess, based on the Marine's three health bars, is that Aliens have the equivalent of three or four and the Predators have the equivalent of five.

Jobe

Jobe

Hi Rebellion.

I have just one question for you -

1. Is there any chance that a universal TAUNT button/Key can or has been added for all species for MP ?

There's nothing more satisfying than taunting players as an Alien, but would love to do the same as the Marine and Predator.

Thanks

BTW - You guys deserve to do very well with this game once it goes on sale ;)

Deathly_rYaN

Hey Rebellion staff,

Welcome to Avpgalaxy. I love Rebellion games, but for now AvP classic, until the new AvP is released.

I just got 2 questions about surviver

1: As seen in the Survivor trailer, we se a marine with a smartgun and the rest with PR's. How will the weapon system work, will players have to get points and buy them off walls or something or just find them?

2:Will players have to use points to open new areas to extent the Xenomorph Horde?

Hope to see you in AvP for PS3

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed