Which three Alien films would you rather watch in one sitting?

Started by Frosty Venom, Sep 30, 2018, 07:21:54 AM

Which trio of films is better?

Prometheus, Alien Covenant and Alien
44 (52.4%)
Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection
40 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author
Which three Alien films would you rather watch in one sitting? (Read 20,297 times)

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: SM on Dec 01, 2020, 11:23:48 PM
Covenant sits third behind Alien and Aliens for mine.  Bit of a gap between second and third though.

1. Alien
2. Aliens
3. Prometheus
4. Alien: Covenant
5. Alien 3
6. Resurrection

Quote from: Phobos on Dec 01, 2020, 10:10:13 PM
Avp > Requiem.

I can't even get through Requiem and I tried hard. AvP is a lot of fun.

Quote from: Phobos on Dec 01, 2020, 10:43:53 PM
AvP ... might even be a hair better than Covenant.

Story wise AvP is very good. But that's where it ends. Paul W. S. Anderson is just not that good directing (except for Event Horizon). The entire AvP production suffered because of that. As directors Scott or Cameron are just much better with science fiction on every level.

;)

[cancerblack]

The story is where AvP first shits the bed though?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: bb-15 on Dec 06, 2020, 10:06:09 AMPaul W. S. Anderson is just not that good directing.

I'd question that.

The tone may have been all wrong but he made that film look a hell of a lot more expensive than it was.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 06, 2020, 04:55:10 PM
Quote from: bb-15 on Dec 06, 2020, 10:06:09 AMPaul W. S. Anderson is just not that good directing.

I'd question that.

The tone may have been all wrong but he made that film look a hell of a lot more expensive than it was.

Yeah, if he'd been allowed to set it in space or use a fresh Alien design, like he wanted, it might even have been good.

Voodoo Magic

I'd question that.

That doesn't equate to being a good director. That just equates to being thrifty!   :D

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 06, 2020, 05:07:30 PM

I'd question that.

That doesn't equate to being a good director. That just equates to being thrifty!   :D

He gets good mileage out of a polystyrene and cgi pyramid, I'll give him that much.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Dec 06, 2020, 05:15:17 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 06, 2020, 05:07:30 PM

I'd question that.

He gets good mileage out of a polystyrene and cgi pyramid, I'll give him that much.

Indeed!

seattle24

seattle24

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Dec 06, 2020, 04:57:54 PM

I'd question that.

Yeah, if he'd been allowed to set it in space or use a fresh Alien design, like he wanted, it might even have been good.

I often think if the design of the creatures was better in AvP, would it be a better movie? You know what? I think yeah. Because if he got anything right it was the delicacy of making sure one creature didn't come across as the whipping boy. It was especially refreshing to revisit AvP after watching Requiem, in which not only was the Alien design/practical effects horrendous, they were literally useless fodder (nothing to do with the effects of course). The sewer scene in which Wolfe rises with an Alien in each hand? WTF  ???

But yeah.... sure as hell takes you out of a movie when you're thinking look how giant those flippity flappy hands are on the Alien suit, among many other things. It's not like Anderson shot them particularly poorly.

BigDaddyJohn

It would still be a PG kids friendly movie  :P

Immortan Jonesy

I'd question that.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1335151845820522496

SM

Quote from: seattle24 on Dec 06, 2020, 06:27:54 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Dec 06, 2020, 04:57:54 PM

I'd question that.

I often think if the design of the creatures was better in AvP, would it be a better movie? You know what? I think yeah. Because if he got anything right it was the delicacy of making sure one creature didn't come across as the whipping boy. It was especially refreshing to revisit AvP after watching Requiem, in which not only was the Alien design/practical effects horrendous, they were literally useless fodder (nothing to do with the effects of course). The sewer scene in which Wolfe rises with an Alien in each hand? WTF  ???

But yeah.... sure as hell takes you out of a movie when you're thinking look how giant those flippity flappy hands are on the Alien suit, among many other things. It's not like Anderson shot them particularly poorly.

I'm not sure better creature design would fix the dull characters, lack of tension and lack of fights.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Dec 06, 2020, 08:46:41 PM
I'm not sure better creature design would fix the dull characters, lack of tension and lack of fights.

Much like revisiting the creature effects in Alien 3 wouldn't.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 06, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
Quote from: SM on Dec 06, 2020, 08:46:41 PM

Much like revisiting the creature effects in Alien 3 wouldn't.

skhellter

I'd question that.

nah it's laughable garbage.

Immortan Jonesy

Ridley Scott has that super power. His prequels are not cheap, but they look even more expensive, especially Prometheus. Even the Raised by Wolves episode he directed looked Top Tier.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed