Alan Dean Foster not getting novelization royalties from Disney

Started by Xenomrph, Nov 19, 2020, 12:19:39 AM

Author
Alan Dean Foster not getting novelization royalties from Disney (Read 13,358 times)

Jurassicvania

Frunking Disney, how many stories have I heard of artists getting burned by the mouse.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Hudson on Nov 21, 2020, 03:58:26 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Nov 20, 2020, 06:31:32 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 20, 2020, 03:46:36 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Nov 19, 2020, 11:39:13 PM
I'm sure Walt is spinning in his grave.

Nah, Walt was pretty big into making endless piles of money.

Do you know anything regarding his struggle to be paid as an artist in his early years?

He was a f**king sellout who made war propaganda and testified against unions before HUAC. Have some perspective before you go defending a dead rich guy who never cared about your feelings. Disney hasn't turned any corners. They've always been like this.

No need to be a dickhead, I said I was a bit hazy on his early years but I was simply refering to this.

"Disney found his first major success with the creation of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. Disney's character Oswald was plenty lucky, becoming a huge star in one-reel animation, but Disney himself would find his luck had run out. Traveling to New York to renegotiate his contract, he discovered that his producer had taken his team of animators from under him and that he no longer had any legal rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit."

I'm certainly no expert I just thought this situation was a bit similar.

MrBnetV

I refuse to purchase any Alien/Predator comics under the Disney/Marvel banner.

I've been reading the Dark Horse Comics for near 30 years. It was a good run...

HicksIsAlive

This is absolutely disgusting but no surprise as Disney have proven themselves scumbags left and right. My fear here would be if they were pushed to the brink on this one, they'd stop publishing the ADF books altogether as they'd rather lose the revenue on them as opposed to starting a precedent of paying artists what they're owed which would cost them more in the long run.

I also hadn't heard ADF had been diagnosed with cancer and and gutted to hear that. He and his family are in my thoughts this evening and hopefully he makes a full recovery or at least can live a full life. His books brought me such entertainment over the years, especially during my formative years and for that I'm deeply grateful to him.

Nostromo

Quote from: MrBnetV on Nov 28, 2020, 12:51:47 AM
I refuse to purchase any Alien/Predator comics under the Disney/Marvel banner.

I've been reading the Dark Horse Comics for near 30 years. It was a good run...

Exactly, unless they get 8/10 ratings minimum but fans I trust here f it, f star wars n f marvel. F their movies too.

Kradan

But how you gonna find out not buying it ?

Russ840

To be honest. It's a shame for the creatives but at the end of the day, it's business.

Why would anyone part with money that they are legally not required to?

I don't understand why people think Disney are so awful (I'm not suggesting that it's not mercenary and Disney are perfect) for not paying money that they are not contracted to.

Nukiemorph

Fox was contracted to.

They bought Fox.

Russ840

Indeed, but those obligations did not carry over with the purchase. As far as I understand anyway.  So I don't see the problem.

Nukiemorph

That's what Disney is arguing, but I don't know if it was actually laid out in the agreement or if this was an afterthought that Disney is just washing their hands of.

SiL

Disney is trying to argue they only bought the assets, not the liabilities, which is ridiculous.

Russ840

Well shouldn't we wait to see the outcome of the proceedings. 

426Buddy

426Buddy

It's probably illegal and it's certainly immoral.

It's wrong in every way.

Nightmare Asylum

Who honestly gives a f**k about the proceedings? Even if it is legal, should it be? This is a corporation worth hundreds of billions of dollars that can't be assed to spare what essentially amounts to pennies to someone that was under contract by a company that they bought for, checks notes, 71.3 billion dollars.

Naginata

^ THANK YOU. The whole argument Disney is making here is completely insane.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed