ComicbookGirl Interviews Lance Henriksen

Started by RakaiThwei, Sep 11, 2014, 02:56:25 AM

Author
ComicbookGirl Interviews Lance Henriksen (Read 40,703 times)

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_GWJ1qbSf0#ws

In this special edition, Actor, Artist, Lance Henriksen comes on the show to talk about his film career including his newest project, Harbinger Down. Lance also talks about his Comic Book and his Pottery Art.

Kind of surprised she didn't discuss Alien vs. Predator with Lance, considering he played a particularly big part in the movie but I am somewhat more surprised she chose to speak to him about Prometheus,  a film he had nothing to do with.

Vepariga

not a bad interview, i laughed at the pumpkin head 3 stuff

FiorinaFury161

Glad Lance still has all his wits and contributes accordingly!

Xenomorphine

Can't say I disagree with his response. Would have liked to hear his own views on the differing Weyland portrayals.

Eva

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Sep 11, 2014, 05:39:12 PM
Glad Lance still has all his wits and contributes accordingly!

Indeed - the man is a class act and he clearly loves to tell a good anecdote or two from his time on various movie productions.

As for them not talking AvP, well who cares? That film had very little of interest to contribute to the Alien-side of anything AvP universe related anyway. It was much more interesting (imo) to hear his opinion on the various iterations and film portrayals of android characters. Some of his critique on Prometheus is spot-on as well.

predxeno

predxeno

Tbh, it would be surprising if he did love Prometheus; Lance Henriksen has worked with James Cameron on more than one occasion so I sense that Prometheus isn't exactly his style of film.  Plus, I think it's pretty clear that Prometheus was never meant to be a true Alien film at all, but a movie masquerading as a "spin-off" simply to attract more viewers.  For example, if you re-named or re-sketched all the characters, logos, designs, in the movie that connected it to Alien then the film would be completely different, you can't do that with any of the Alien movies, even the AVP movies; if you look at Alien vs. Hunter, people have said multiple times that it's an obvious rip of AVPR.  I think the fact that the producers have said Prometheus 2 will have even FEWER connections to Alien further drives in my point.

Darwinsgirl

I thought the interview was very good. 8) She was well prepared and was genuinely a fan. He was taken aback with her knowing of his hung over knife scene re-shoot. ;)

I remember someone posting in the ALIENS Exposed thread how board he looked on that panel. She didn't repeat the same stale questions. I liked his insite on going back to his childhood to form the Bishop personality.

5 stars! * * * * *

Eva

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 11, 2014, 09:07:17 PM
Tbh, it would be surprising if he did love Prometheus; Lance Henriksen has worked with James Cameron on more than one occasion so I sense that Prometheus isn't exactly his style of film.  Plus, I think it's pretty clear that Prometheus was never meant to be a true Alien film at all, but a movie masquerading as a "spin-off" simply to attract more viewers.  For example, if you re-named or re-sketched all the characters, logos, designs, in the movie that connected it to Alien then the film would be completely different, you can't do that with any of the Alien movies, even the AVP movies; if you look at Alien vs. Hunter, people have said multiple times that it's an obvious rip of AVPR.  I think the fact that the producers have said Prometheus 2 will have even FEWER connections to Alien further drives in my point.

Well, I didn't read his comments and opinion on Prometheus as hinging on how close it connects to ALIEN/ALIENS. I heard him express how he feels that the film to some extent drowns in the bigger ideas, while neglecting the aspects that makes films feel 'real' and relatable to him. Hence why he didn't really know what he was supposed to feel about it after leaving the theater.

What he says about the character of Vickers is also very true. Her arc in the story (motives, actions, family issues etc) seems very diffuse. Is she a protagonist? An antagonist? A supporting character? Even I am in doubt.

SM

QuoteFor example, if you re-named or re-sketched all the characters, logos, designs, in the movie that connected it to Alien then the film would be completely different

:laugh:

If you change Weyland to another name and change the Derelict and Jockey to another kind of extraterrestrial - it's still precisely the same film.

predxeno

predxeno

I probably didn't make myself clear in my earlier post, yes, it's the same film but the problem is it can still function as one.  As I said earlier, if you renamed other films in the series then fans will immediately point to the original source and label it as a rip off, but if you do the same with Prometheus then it still stands as its own story unconnected to the others; I think this goes to show that the movie isn't a genuine story told for the Alien franchise rather than a shallow developed tale made to piggyback on the success of the former. 

What makes Prometheus especially shallow is the fact that it was never created to be its own story but an obvious attempt to start a new trilogy; all the questions asked in the trailer such as why were we created and what happens when we die aren't answered but are left open for the SEQUEL to deal with.  All in all, Prometheus is a story most fans can  easily predict from the beginning; crew lands on planet, crew gets killed by aliens, alien tries to destroy earth, humans save the day, with only one question answered (who created us?) which is immediately answered in the film's trailers rather than the film itself.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Eva on Sep 11, 2014, 08:45:39 PM
As for them not talking AvP, well who cares? That film had very little of interest to contribute to the Alien-side of anything AvP universe related anyway.

One could arguably level that accusation at 'Prometheus', too. They're as valid as one another. The first of the AVPs even more so, since he was actually, y'know... In it. :)

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 11, 2014, 09:07:17 PM
Tbh, it would be surprising if he did love Prometheus; Lance Henriksen has worked with James Cameron on more than one occasion so I sense that Prometheus isn't exactly his style of film.

What's that got to do with the price of fish? He's worked with tons of people of all different stripes.

predxeno

Lance Henriksen and me both have very similar feelings on the film Prometheus tbh, personally I thought the film was just too ambiguous and the meaning of the story not firmly set into place. 

All of the movies (and games ;)) I saw Lance Henriksen in were pretty much straight to the point; yes, not all of them may have been popular but I felt I could understand the characters and why they were doing what they did than I could in Prometheus.  For me, the character of Elizabeth Shaw was perhaps the most confusing character to understand and she's the film's star.

SM

QuoteI think this goes to show that the movie isn't a genuine story told for the Alien franchise

Intentionally so.  They were going to do something more tied to Alien with the Engineers script, and they ended up moving away from that.

predxeno

predxeno

Fair enough, but I think if they did something like that then they should have made their own standalone film rather than stay tied down to an old one.  A:CM is a better Alien story than Prometheus simply because it features actual Aliens and Prometheus 2 is promised to have fewer Alien references than the first one. 

Couple this with the fact that Scott paid no heed to the canon to either the AVP films nor Alien films (including his own), this shows how little Scott cares about his 1979 "masterpiece".  Scott is making his own story and ignoring all the rules, when the time comes to contradict his own title, you can bet he'll trade the old for the new.

SM

QuoteFair enough, but I think if they did something like that then they should have made their own standalone film rather than stay tied down to an old one.

That's what they did.  Ridley wanted to explore the Jockey, and used it as a springboard to something else.

QuoteA:CM is a better Alien story than Prometheus simply because it features actual Aliens and Prometheus 2 is promised to have fewer Alien references than the first one.  Couple this with the fact that Scott paid no heed to the canon to either the AVP films nor Alien films (including his own), this shows how little Scott cares about his 1979 "masterpiece".

As difficult as it is to ignore the first sentence - Riddles didn't need nor want to reference AvP.  And what did he ignore about Alien - a film about which he obviously cares very much.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed