Nostromo Revisited

Started by Frosty Venom, Feb 03, 2019, 05:38:05 AM

Author
Nostromo Revisited (Read 20,275 times)

SM

SM

The wiki doesn't own anything. However if the video repeatedly uses the same words in the same order, which it does, it's called plagiarism.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I think maybe they're conflating plagiarism with copyright infringement.

SM

SM

Fox owns copyright on all the concepts and everything.  I'm not exactly sure on how copyright works on comments about existing IP - maybe the wiki authors can claim ownership to what they've written under fair use?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2013/10/07/difference-copyright-infringement-plagiarism/

QuoteBut where copyright infringement is a construct of the law, plagiarism is a construct of ethics.

SM

SM

Good read.  Not sure if that really cleared it up in this instance though.

The wiki doesn't own the IP, but maybe they own what they have written about the IP (despite a lack of authorisation to do so).

Getting legal about this is over the top I reckon.  Plagiarism is a more an ethical issue.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

There's obviously no legal recourse to someone reading from our wiki and passing it off as their own work. It's all public domain.

But pilfering our work like that is a dickish move, plain and simple.

We (or I, at least) always cite an original source when we use one, because that's just fair and correct. Christ, I've lifted more from the Weyland-Yutani Archives, Strange Shapes, Monster Legacy and this very site than I can think of, but they always get a citation when I do. Because guess what? The hard work was theirs.

426Buddy

426Buddy

100% agreed Huda.

SM

SM

Yep.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I think AlienTheory ghosted us.  Unless Cruentus took him up the offer to discuss it privately.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Maybe Alien Theory will make a video response.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I doubt this is something he wants to air out on YouTube.  Denials of plagiarism are easily countered with specific examples.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 07, 2019, 06:27:16 PM
There's obviously no legal recourse to someone reading from our wiki and passing it off as their own work. It's all public domain.

But pilfering our work like that is a dickish move, plain and simple.

We (or I, at least) always cite an original source when we use one, because that's just fair and correct. Christ, I've lifted more from the Weyland-Yutani Archives, Strange Shapes, Monster Legacy and this very site than I can think of, but they always get a citation when I do. Because guess what? The hard work was theirs.

True enough but if what central had to say to me recently regarding another plagiarist means anything, attribution must be given.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 07, 2019, 11:08:52 PM
I doubt this is something he wants to air out on YouTube.  Denials of plagiarism are easily countered with specific examples.

If it comes to it, I will make a video  naming and shaming all known youtubers that has plagiarized the wiki, and showing all the proof necessary, it is not something I would be proud to do since it would be essentially a shaming video but if nothing else is able to be done, then I will I do it, because If they can't be stopped or they refuse to give attribution, then I will make sure their youtube audiences know that they are plagiarists.

There is quite a few of them out there.

An example from another plagiarist taking from a different wiki since Xenopedia is not the only wikia plagiarized. ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hge_V1HLwAM

https://terminator.fandom.com/wiki/T-800

No time stamp needed, almost entire page is pretty much read word for word bar a few sections.

I gave the local admin the heads up about this back when I first spotted it a few months back.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

I know that a lot of youtubers definitely rip stuff straight from wikis but is it not possible that sometimes both youtuber and wiki have lifted the information from the same source?

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

No because wikis is written by multiple users and usually done originally (we don't write the sources word for word, we just cite it) thus it is not possible for the youtuber to be accidentally reading it all word for word.
They would most certainly have to be looking at our pages to be saying the exact words that multiple users have written.

Not saying that both wikia and the youtubers can't use the same source such as an interiview, novel or behind the scenes stuff for their work and indeed sources are necessary but logically the words used by both parties should be completely different.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Cruentus definitley knows what he's talking about here.

I'm actually a little suprised at how many people seem unaware of how plagiarism  and the practice of citing sources works.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed