Aliens Expanded - A New Aliens Documentary Announced

Started by Darkness, Apr 26, 2022, 08:03:14 PM

Author
Aliens Expanded - A New Aliens Documentary Announced (Read 25,962 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I have went back and forth with this over the years but ultimately I swear by the theatrical cut.

I used to have difficulty putting why exactly into words but here it goes.

I just do not like as a woman, the way James Cameron writes women, in both Aliens and his Terminator films his respective protagonist's destiny's to become mothers at the end of the day. Failing and then succeeding at that apparent requirement, with a man Michael Biehn assisting and instructing, them to do that.

So the Special Edition only exacerbates my issues with the writing and presentation of that particular theme.

Cosmic Incubation

I more often than not prefer the pacing of the original cut, but I do appreciate some of the added scenes and details. I like the derelict scene, the scene where Ripley finds out about what happened to her daughter, seeing Hadley's Hope before the disaster helps punctuate the tragedy, and the turret scene is pretty cool.

I also mostly agree with BlueMarsalis and others that the special edition really kind beats you over the head with the motherhood themes, which I think strips away some of Ripley's agency. Or at least pigeonholes her more, if that makes sense.

It's still there in the theatrical cut for sure, but it's not quite as obvious or present as the special edition.

SiL

I think the only thing from the DC that feels missing from the theatrical is the scene with the colonists. It helps smooth out the jump between "they're in danger!" to "hey uh yeah we lost contact", which is a bit sudden and convenient in the theatrical cut.

BlueMarsalis79

I love the cut from the Facehugger's fingers gripping to Ripley's fingers holding a drooping cigarette, I hate the Jordan family being the ones to find the derelict and one of them being the only survivor, just reminds me I am watching a fiction.

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 09, 2022, 10:10:44 PMI hate the Jordan family being the ones to find the derelict and one of them being the only survivor, just reminds me I am watching a fiction.

Yeah I always thought it felt too convenient and coincidental that it happens to be Newt's family that finds the derelict and gets facehugged first.

BlueMarsalis79

That and other various things previously mentioned's why "perfect sequel" just reads as flagellation to me because I do not think that it is, such hyperbole benefits nobody and worries me that's an indication this will not have much insight of note.

SiL

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Sep 09, 2022, 10:15:50 PMYeah I always thought it felt too convenient and coincidental that it happens to be Newt's family that finds the derelict and gets facehugged first.
I don't see a problem. It even establishes exactly why Newt is the one to survive.

Highland

I don't need the T-shirt but I'll take the disc version for sure. Would have been cool if the Producer/executive would have got a kind of " this is my favourite scene" or a " this was the first time I watched Aliens" sound bite in the final version or something, but I think they are dreaming for 10 to 20  times the amount for one word before your name in the credits, righto boys  :laugh: Don't think they really thought that one through.

I personally prefer the extended version as its just more of one of the best films ever made  8)

SiL

Those are actual credits, though. Pretty cheap way to get a producing credit on a project that'll actually get seen 😂

BlueMarsalis79

*Annoyed grumbling*

SiL

A couple of the social posts have been a bit strange. How do they argue Gale Anne Hurd was "unsung" when CDL actually went into some detail about her involvement in his documentaries? I've never read a making-of that didn't credit her considerable work in producing the film.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Sep 11, 2022, 05:53:51 AMHow do they argue Gale Anne Hurd was "unsung"?

Probably amongst casuals, they mean. Not the best sign that this will cover new ground though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed