Nostromo Revisited

Started by Frosty Venom, Feb 03, 2019, 05:38:05 AM

Author
Nostromo Revisited (Read 19,419 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Yeah I think people would be more forgiving if he acknowledged his sources, even if it was just a string of links in the video description. Like, I can dig videos that just explain/summarize a topic and I can just let the video play in the background while I do other stuff, almost like a mini-audiobook, but cite your sources and acknowledge other people's work. :P

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Feb 03, 2019, 01:10:49 PM
I've used his videos for research when I started writing my fanfiction. Now we're friends on Twitter, which is something I didn't expect would happen.

Some of what you guys are saying is a little hurtful, in my opinion. You do you, I guess. He does enjoy Alien 3, which you'd notice if you actually followed his content. The Earth War series is one of the better things he's done on his channel, and a lot of people are enjoying it.

I'm not here to argue, though. I'm just tired of hiding in the shadows and waiting for Hicks to say something about attitudes, especially when that negativity is being fired at someone I've gotten close to over the last year. Maybe it's just emotional attachment and I should just back off and not say anything.

With no offence or hurt intended to you, I would not rely on Alien theory or any other of the youtubers, they tend to plagiarize from our wiki. If you watch some of their videos while looking at the article of the subject they are talking about on our wiki, you will find they literally reading right off our pages on some of their videos. they are parasites in my opinion. If you going to make videos about a subject regardless if its Alien3 or even Requiem, it should be original and not work stolen from other contributors. Hicks and AVPGalaxy have not been doing it, their videos have been original so far and its brilliant. Originality and good presentation is its own reward and will get respect.

SM

SM

I've used his videos for research when I started writing my fanfiction. Now we're friends on Twitter, which is something I didn't expect would happen.

Some of what you guys are saying is a little hurtful, in my opinion. You do you, I guess. He does enjoy Alien 3, which you'd notice if you actually followed his content. The Earth War series is one of the better things he's done on his channel, and a lot of people are enjoying it.

I'm not here to argue, though. I'm just tired of hiding in the shadows and waiting for Hicks to say something about attitudes, especially when that negativity is being fired at someone I've gotten close to over the last year. Maybe it's just emotional attachment and I should just back off and not say anything.

Possibly the latter.

Those of us who don't care for the content have outlined why. 

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Feb 03, 2019, 01:14:48 PM
But to be fair I think SM was still triggered from a canon war with TurokSwe and I.

No need, Frosty. Let's not let things get personal, please.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Maybe give him a heads up that he's ruffling some feathers by not giving at least a brief shout-out to his sources?  Just a thought.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 03, 2019, 11:08:35 PM

Maybe give him a heads up that he's ruffling some feathers by not giving at least a brief shout-out to his sources?  Just a thought.

He did make a works cited video last January. I don't remember all that was mentioned, though.

I'll talk to him about it tomorrow. I really don't want to play mediator lest it starts causing friction on both sides.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Or you could just send him a link to this thread and let him see for himself.  You're just the messenger.

SiL

SiL

Back to the topic, I tried to get into the video -- but I don't get the point? The narration is bland and the lack of any music or sound effects makes it really hard to get engaged.

EDIT

... I take that back, general lack of music, not total.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Don't they have to be careful about that if they don't want to get demonetized?

SiL

SiL

There's plenty of free music and sounds they could add to liven it up. It's just really, really dry.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

A lot of audiobooks don't use any music. Maybe audiobooks just ain't your thang. And as SailingRabbit said he has made a works cited video. He also cited the work used for this video on his instagram and twitter so yeah.

Sorry Hicks, was trying to be light-hearted.

SiL

SiL

So it's supposed to be an audiobook?

That I get. I don't mind them when they're well-read, but his voice is very flat and monotone throughout the piece, even when he's trying to play the different characters. Since he was combining different sources, I also wasn't sure if he was trying to interject different information into the story, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

SM

SM

I started to watch it but also found it very flat.  Way too flat to watch 90 minutes worth of stuff I've been intimately familiar with for the better part of 30 years.

(Familiar enough to be pretty sure Hankerson isn't Company).

SiL

SiL

If he'd turned it into an animated version of the comic, that would be cool.

...hell, if I had any significant spare time that sounds like a fun project. Alas I do not.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed