HBO First Look - Alien: Covenant

Started by Ragonk_Force, Apr 26, 2017, 08:55:30 PM

Author
HBO First Look - Alien: Covenant (Read 71,963 times)

Beardomorph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 12, 2017, 02:17:28 PM
I'm intrigued by the script excerpts. Specifically calls out Giger styles.

Also reads very differently than the movie I saw. Is that the shooting script or an early draft?

Corporal Hicks

Don't know, I'm afraid. The script isn't out there yet.

Evanus

Evanus

Wait, script? What script? 

Corporal Hicks

Evanus

Evanus

Oh right, I see... Thanks.  :)

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: Beardomorph on May 12, 2017, 02:25:48 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 12, 2017, 02:17:28 PM
I'm intrigued by the script excerpts. Specifically calls out Giger styles.

Also reads very differently than the movie I saw. Is that the shooting script or an early draft?

As in those lines were not in the movie?

h8spoilers

h8spoilers

Is there any spoilers?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: h8spoilers on May 12, 2017, 02:48:18 PM
Is there any spoilers?

Yep. I'd avoid if you don't want to see spoilers.

Quote from: Robopadna on May 12, 2017, 02:36:49 PM

Not that I remember.

Beardomorph

Definitely not a word about the Engineer civilisation that I can remember.

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: Beardomorph on May 12, 2017, 02:52:25 PM

Definitely not a word about the Engineer civilisation that I can remember.

man that is disappointing because if we aren't going to get more than a 30 second clip of them all dying THOSE are the sorts of discussions I would want to take place.  The crew SHOULD be like HOLY CRAP there is a civilization on this world.  What happened to them, how in the world did you survive, etc. etc.  David giving second hand explanations for why some aspects are the way that they are.

Beardomorph

Beardomorph

Quote from: Robopadna on May 12, 2017, 02:54:07 PMThe crew SHOULD be like HOLY CRAP there is a civilization on this world.  What happened to them, how in the world did you survive, etc. etc.  David giving second hand explanations for why some aspects are the way that they are.

Well, at that point in the movie they don't feel safe, they're in a state of shock, most of them have lost the partner they gave up life on Earth to go live with, and they're following someone they know they have no reason to trust. If they were landing there for a scientific mission with no immediate danger surrounding them like in Prometheus then yes, I'd be annoyed that they're not trying to figure out more about this civilisation. In context, it's sort of ok.

As for the audience, there is plenty that is not stated but shown ( most of it already leaked through trailers ), so it's not like there hasn't been any effort put into it. In fact, by frame freezing when the movie comes out on dvd/blu-ray, during the scenes taking place in David's lab, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with a lot more details about the Engineers. I remember a moment with a big diagram of an Engineer in full sight.

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: Beardomorph on May 12, 2017, 03:00:49 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 12, 2017, 02:54:07 PMThe crew SHOULD be like HOLY CRAP there is a civilization on this world.  What happened to them, how in the world did you survive, etc. etc.  David giving second hand explanations for why some aspects are the way that they are.

Well, at that point in the movie they don't feel safe, they're in a state of shock, most of them have lost the partner they gave up life on Earth to go live with, and they're following someone they know they have no reason to trust. If they were landing there for a scientific mission with no immediate danger surrounding them like in Prometheus then yes, I'd be annoyed that they're not trying to figure out more about this civilisation. In context, it's sort of ok.

As for the audience, there is plenty that is not stated but shown ( most of it already leaked through trailers ), so it's not like there hasn't been any effort put into it. In fact, by frame freezing when the movie comes out on dvd/blu-ray, during the scenes taking place in David's lab, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with a lot more details about the Engineers. I remember a moment with a big diagram of an Engineer in full sight.

I just wish the crew would sometimes act like normal humans by not forgetting about their lost friends but CLEARLY questioning what is going on in their lives and what they are walking into.  It probably plays a little differently on screen but it seems like they are just meat sacks walking from one place to another to facilitate a scene change and more deaths.

As they are walking to the city wouldn't you want them to act human and wonder what in the hell is going on and how come everyone around them is DEAD?  Wouldn't they be scared that a bunch of dead people in this area would be really dangerous?  Even if they aren't simply shocked and asking about why there is a CITY on this planet...  or a synthetic from earth?

Beardomorph

Quote from: Robopadna on May 12, 2017, 03:06:38 PMAs they are walking to the city wouldn't you want them to act human and wonder what in the hell is going on and how come everyone around them is DEAD?  Wouldn't they be scared that a bunch of dead people in this area would be really dangerous?  Even if they aren't simply shocked and asking about why there is a CITY on this planet...  or a synthetic from earth?

To be fair, I think they do, they just don't get answers whereas in these excerpts of the/a script posted above by Hicks David specifically answers their questions.

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: Beardomorph on May 12, 2017, 03:43:59 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 12, 2017, 03:06:38 PMAs they are walking to the city wouldn't you want them to act human and wonder what in the hell is going on and how come everyone around them is DEAD?  Wouldn't they be scared that a bunch of dead people in this area would be really dangerous?  Even if they aren't simply shocked and asking about why there is a CITY on this planet...  or a synthetic from earth?

To be fair, I think they do, they just don't get answers whereas in these excerpts of the/a script posted above by Hicks David specifically answers their questions.

Wait, in the movie they ask those questions but don't get answers?  Why in the world would they trust David at all then?  I would ask a lot MORE questions if this weird android from earth on an alien planet refuses to answer me.

If you mean they ask off screen, then that is terrible film making.  The audience also wants to know these answers so it can't be an assumed off screen conversation.  It also helps an audience connect with the characters when they see the characters act as normal humans would and ask questions instead of simply being a means to move from one scene to the next.

Sabres21768

After studying these stills, it's apparent that Neca based their figure on the practical suit.
There were some obvious changes once the cg was done that Neca didn't have access to.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed