Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 241,184 times)

Scorpio

The failed clone scene is more emotional than "sick" (don't know what you mean by 'sick' though).  The Newborn birth scene is what I would call sick, in that it is one of the most insane pieces of creature feature cinema ever put to film.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 15, 2017, 11:16:40 PM
The failed clone scene is more emotional than "sick" (don't know what you mean by 'sick' though).  The Newborn birth scene is what I would call sick, in that it is one of the most insane pieces of creature feature cinema ever put to film.
Nah the emotional part doesn't touch me at all, it is the pure horror and wonder of the misshapen clones themselves that leave an impression.

Scorpio

I agree on that.  But after watching Alien Covenant, I feel like that scene has been upstaged a little.  No image is more confronting than Shaw laid on the table severely mutilated with her innards exposed.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 16, 2017, 12:29:07 AM
I agree on that.  But after watching Alien Covenant, I feel like that scene has been upstaged a little.  No image is more confronting than Shaw laid on the table severely mutilated with her innards exposed.
I have to disagree on that, but I might be biased since Alien Resurrection is the first alien movie I can remember watching, from a VHS recording starting right before the failed clones scene. I love how they incorporated something that looked like real congenital defects, woeful asymmetry, and xenomorph and human aspects all into these beautiful horrific clones.
Shaw looked too much like a Giger painting for me, too staged, I didn't feel too much from it.

0321recon

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 16, 2017, 12:29:07 AM

I kinda cared about her character and just thinking of what David did to her still disturbs me.

Gash

Quote from: monkeylove on Dec 15, 2017, 02:45:37 AM
Quote from: Denton Smalls on Dec 14, 2017, 10:26:21 AM
I think it will take some time for the prequels to be fully appreciated for what they are, much like Alien 3's popularity, which was pretty low at the time of release, but has risen to cult status over time.

It's probably because of other film versions of Alien 3. These two prequels, though, need major rewrites.

My views on Alien3 have never changed. It starts well, it's got an interesting plot around Ripley, but essentially it's flawed because two of its major protagonists are killed off mid-film which could have added much needed character interplay in the third act. As it is the rest of the movie is an indistinct runaround interspersed with Ripley's dilemma. It's the best film of the sequels, because of Fincher's talents, but in any version it remains flawed.

Prometheus and Covenant not so much, like them or not they have a vision that seems to me to be uncompromised, the scripts have  developed with some fluidity but they are heading in a solid direction - IMHO. No rewrites required.

SM

Clemens and Andrews are bumped off for the same reason Dallas, Apone and Gorman are taken out.  I think Ripley and Dillon's relationship turned out more interesting than the continuance of Clemens or Andrews.

"indistinct runaround" is a pretty fair description though.

BishopShouldGo

I'd argue that a Clemens or Andrews continuance would've been more interesting, because characters like theirs were bumped off early in previous entries.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: SM on Dec 17, 2017, 11:52:50 PM
Clemens and Andrews are bumped off for the same reason Dallas, Apone and Gorman are taken out.  I think Ripley and Dillon's relationship turned out more interesting than the continuance of Clemens or Andrews.

I agree, Dillon and Ripley's dynamic through the movie is very interesting and useful to the movie itself

SM

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Dec 18, 2017, 12:22:15 AM
I'd argue that a Clemens or Andrews continuance would've been more interesting, because characters like theirs were bumped off early in previous entries.

Andrews would've been a continually annoying obstacle.  Had someone else been got in the mess hall and Andrews lived, he still would've tried to assert his authority in combatting the Alien instead of deferring to Ripley.  Clemens probably would've been Hicks Mark II.  Not only did Ripley have to be thrust into leadership, but she had to do it with guys who wanted to rape and murder her.  There's no support network like in Aliens.

Gash

Quote from: SM on Dec 17, 2017, 11:52:50 PM

Sure, I get that the deaths are unexpected shocks, but for me, their deaths at the hands of a creature they are not even aware exists robs the film of the more interesting characters discussing the options in their crises. In particular it might have been interesting to see how Clemens, the negligent medico, had reacted to discovering Ripley's condition. I agree that Dillon and 85 are the more interesting characters around her towards the end of the film, but if Clemens and Andrews had to accept Ripley's greater experience and had been involved and died in the runaround section, that whole sequence might have felt grander, more coherent, and far more significant within the plot. Instead Ripley takes the lead, because she's.. Ripley.

It wasn't too much of a cliche in 1992 but killing off major characters earlier than expected is one of those 'curveball' ideas that is fairly well worn, and is done for good or bad, and in Alien3's case I feel it saps the film of potential far more than it shocks.   

monkeylove

Quote from: Gash on Dec 17, 2017, 11:38:14 PM
My views on Alien3 have never changed. It starts well, it's got an interesting plot around Ripley, but essentially it's flawed because two of its major protagonists are killed off mid-film which could have added much needed character interplay in the third act. As it is the rest of the movie is an indistinct runaround interspersed with Ripley's dilemma. It's the best film of the sequels, because of Fincher's talents, but in any version it remains flawed.

Prometheus and Covenant not so much, like them or not they have a vision that seems to me to be uncompromised, the scripts have  developed with some fluidity but they are heading in a solid direction - IMHO. No rewrites required.

I didn't pay much attention to that flaw. What concerned me more was the dreariness of the setting. I was hoping for something set in a space station coupled with conspiracy involving the company, thus making the fourth film (and probably even subsequent ones) unnecessary.

Prometheus is the better of the two recent films, but is flawed because of plot holes and characters doing stupid things. A:C is worse because it has similar plus jams content borrowed from the earlier films, leading to a mess. I do realize, though, the difficulty of envisioning an ancient astronaut story line that doesn't look out of place in light of the previous films.

Huggs

Huggs

"Andrews would've been a continually annoying obstacle.  Had someone else been got in the mess hall and Andrews lived, he still would've tried to assert his authority in combatting the Alien instead of deferring to Ripley.  Clemens probably would've been Hicks Mark II."

Andrews definitely would've been a liability. His death was necessary for Ripley to be able to assume a leadership position, although it might be arguable that the position she took was more of a proxy through Dillon, who held the others in check and gave much needed pushes when required.

While clemen's was a great character, his relationship with Ripley may have provided an unnecessary level of human interest at times when survival needed to take center stage. His death also was a stout twist of the blade for Ripley, as the last chance of her having any kind of close personal relationship with another human was taken. Whether this mentally played even a small role in her decision to end it all or not, it sure must have been one of the last "little" nails in the coffin.

As far as Hicks 2 goes, I think Dillon really takes that cake. Dillon was a good parallel to Ripley, though his troubles were probably of his own making, he was a strong leader and intelligent individual who chose to fight rather than die. It's funny, sometimes when people think about the Alien movies, they think of the strong female leads. But I think it's fair to say that Parker, Hicks and Dillon had very strong Male roles in each of the films.

I will add though, that like Parker and Dillon, Hicks should've been allowed to go down fighting. However, with the script for Alien being what it was, he would've spent that film trying to protect Ripley from the inmates and the Alien, and it would have added too much drama. I have a feeling we would've been looking at Hicks making good on that "I'll do us both" promise near the end of Alien 3.

Scorpio

The official 'chain of command' leaders always die in the Alien films.  Dallas, Gorman, Andrews, Perez, Vickers, Oram..

Huggs

"The official 'chain of command' leaders always die in the Alien films.  Dallas, Gorman, Andrews, Perez, Vickers, Oram"

Yep. Nothing get's a group of characters frightened and saying "what do we do now?" quicker than offing the one I charge.

"I Think AI is becoming much more dangerous"

Yes Sir, especially to the future of the Alien franchise. Sorry, I've been saving that one for way too long.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed