Fred Dekker Talks Working On The Predator

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 24, 2017, 08:28:14 PM

Author
Fred Dekker Talks Working On The Predator (Read 17,779 times)

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Jan 27, 2017, 12:15:32 AM
If this movie succeeds, we can place our bets on a revived AvP movie (barring Covenant does well). Childish bickering over which film is canon and which weapon is the coolest is fruitless. We, as the fan base, need to show support for the film, analyze the known details as they are revealed, and present a united critique, positive or negative, to inform those involved (because I'm sure some watch this site tirelessly) if they are going in the right direction or they need to change something.

TLDR:
Fanbase unite! Let FOX know if they're doing well or creating rubbish!     
Sorry, but I refuse to unite around the idea of another god awful crossover film. The franchises need to remain separate permanently.

KiramidHead

A crossover doesn't have to be god awful, though. I've never understood why the people on the Alien side had to be so pretentious and dismissive of the very idea.

BishopShouldGo

I mean you can make a great movie out of any idea. Alien is just a monster movie.

OpenMaw

The original comic shows that the concept has a lot of potential to be just as good as the best films in both series. Indeed, if AVP had gone forward in the 90s as planned, I think it would have been one of the best.

Corporal Hicks

I think there's plenty of space for an Alien vs. Predator to be good. The first 2 were just done on the cheap, with some wrong ideas. We've seen the concept be good in games and comics, just translate it across to film. I'm still holding out hope on eventually seeing it someday.

Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 27, 2017, 08:34:27 AM
I think there's plenty of space for an Alien vs. Predator to be good. The first 2 were just done on the cheap, with some wrong ideas. We've seen the concept be good in games and comics, just translate it across to film. I'm still holding out hope on eventually seeing it someday.
It isn't about it potentially being good, I am just against the idea of such a film ever being made again. I understand that you and many others here love the idea, but I do not.

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 27, 2017, 06:32:55 AM
The original comic shows that the concept has a lot of potential to be just as good as the best films in both series. Indeed, if AVP had gone forward in the 90s as planned, I think it would have been one of the best.

And that's where it should stay, in the comics.
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jan 27, 2017, 05:33:55 AM
I mean you can make a great movie out of any idea. Alien is just a monster movie.
I take a bit of offense to that idea.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 27, 2017, 04:08:11 AM
A crossover doesn't have to be god awful, though. I've never understood why the people on the Alien side had to be so pretentious and dismissive of the very idea.
If wanting to protect the Alien franchise from another potential crossover makes me pretentious then so be it.

KiramidHead

Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Jan 27, 2017, 04:44:05 PM
If wanting to protect the Alien franchise from another potential crossover makes me pretentious then so be it.

I wasn't referring to you, but to how overdramatic Weaver, Scott, etc, all acted about the very idea of the concept.

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 27, 2017, 05:02:11 PM

I wasn't referring to you, but to how overdramatic Weaver, Scott, etc, all acted about the very idea of the concept.
Oh, sorry for the confusion.

OpenMaw

That's... Incredibly arbitrary of you.

It's the truth.

dinosauriac

dinosauriac

I need to see some more Dekker stuff.. my exposure is limited to Robocop 3 and some brief behind the scenes snippets in The Winston Effect. Interesting to hear about him still writing stuff as they're about to enter production, could actually be a good thing if he's kept close during the shoot considering Shane Black's own contribution as on-set writer in the original.

I feel like most of us are trying to temper expectations but remain cautiously optimistic with this one. Black is very dependable and if he sticks to his word we should end up with something at least on the level of "Predators with better dialogue- at Christmas."

I actually like that they're taking inspiration from the entire saga, even though AVP could've turned out better those films did a good job of introducing new toys and made these ugly muthas feel a bit more like an actual space-faring culture. They evolved the overall aesthetic and even the sound design of the first AVP expanded on what had gone before in interesting ways (like changing how the clicks sound in predator POV). So there's definitely stuff to mine there, and lessons to be learned of course.

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 27, 2017, 10:18:33 PM

That's... Incredibly arbitrary of you.

What makes you say that?

It's the truth.
In retrospect, I agree. I took too much offense at his statement of Alien just being a simple monster movie. At the end of the day he is right though, it is a B movie concept with an A list script, cast, and direction.

echobbase79

Quote from: dinosauriac on Jan 28, 2017, 06:17:57 AM
I need to see some more Dekker stuff.. my exposure is limited to Robocop 3 and some brief behind the scenes snippets in The Winston Effect. Interesting to hear about him still writing stuff as they're about to enter production, could actually be a good thing if he's kept close during the shoot considering Shane Black's own contribution as on-set writer in the original.

I feel like most of us are trying to temper expectations but remain cautiously optimistic with this one. Black is very dependable and if he sticks to his word we should end up with something at least on the level of "Predators with better dialogue- at Christmas."

I actually like that they're taking inspiration from the entire saga, even though AVP could've turned out better those films did a good job of introducing new toys and made these ugly muthas feel a bit more like an actual space-faring culture. They evolved the overall aesthetic and even the sound design of the first AVP expanded on what had gone before in interesting ways (like changing how the clicks sound in predator POV). So there's definitely stuff to mine there, and lessons to be learned of course.

He had a miserable experience on Robocop 3. The new special edition being put out by Scream Factory should reveal some interesting behind the scenes stories. I don't know if I'll get it though because that movie is really bad.

The Wolverine Predator

The Wolverine Predator

So I just watched Monster Squad for first time since I was young, back in the late eighties...[emoji33]
So I noticed some character names used in Monster Squad and The Predator
EJ-school bully
Emily-kid's mom
Det Sapir, there's a character on IMDB that's shared that name as well
Maybe there's more, but I noticed those tonight

Oh and the main kid Sean
Sean Keyes

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed