Fred Dekker Talks Working On The Predator

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 24, 2017, 08:28:14 PM

Author
Fred Dekker Talks Working On The Predator (Read 17,476 times)

Corporal Hicks

Fred Dekker talks working on The Predator in a new interview with Moxie Sozo. Dekker isn’t able to give any massive updates on The Predator, re-iterating some of the points he’s previously spoken about.

Dekker was able to talk a little about how he’s found working on The Predator. When asked what it was like working within an existing franchise Dekker said:

“It's easier in the sense that you don't have to start with a blank page. The genre, the tone, and a lot of the specifics of the mythology are already established, so to a degree you're free to paint a new picture with the existing colors. The downside is, sequels, reboots and remakes have historically had a tough go of it, creatively—and the new, rabid internet fan base makes it even harder.

The hardcore fans have their Shurikens sharpened (that's a Predator weapon, by the way), just waiting for you to fail. So it's a double-edge Shuriken: You want to do something new and fresh with the concept, but not alienate the core fan base who have a pre-set idea of what they want. It's a tricky tightrope walk, for sure.

Ultimately, however, the worst thing for the creative process is a fear of failure, so we're trying not to second-guess ourselves and go with our gut instincts. We're making the Predator movie we want to see.”

Fred Dekker talks working on The Predator in a new interview with Moxie Sozo. Artwork by Bayard Wu.

Fred Dekker also spoke a little about his ongoing involvement with the writing process, saying that he’d been working closely alongside Shane Black to ensure the script was specific to the casting and the shooting locations:

“I've been traveling to and from Vancouver to tailor the script to cast, locations, and budget requirements. So yes, it's a fluid process.

Shane is really great about keeping me close as a sounding board, but at the same time I'm not the director, so if there are huge mistakes in the movie, I can always just blame him.”

And Dekker rounded off the The Predator part of conversation with this tidbit: “It has healthy doses of the trademark Shane Black wise-ass dialogue, foul language, and breathless action.

Keep checking in with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on The Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Predator fans on our forums!

Infected

Thats good, follow your gut.

As i been a long time guest on this site, i see that there are many different views of people on the movies,
its almost impossible to please them all.
One likes AVP one like Alien3 one dislikes Alien3 some hate P2 some adore P2 but all are fans, i think this franchise is hard to make right now, so give it all you got, or dont go.

The Wolverine Predator

Sorry about the post [emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Infected on Jan 24, 2017, 08:52:56 PM

As i been a long time guest on this site, i see that there are many different views of people on the movies,
One likes AVP one like Alien3 one dislikes Alien3 some hate P2 some adore P2 but all are fans, i think this franchise is hard to make right now, so give it all you got, or dont go.

Exactly. It's impossible to please everyone and to be aware of that and just go with what you want to make is the best way. I really hope this mean we aren't getting any reused dialogue as fan winking. lol Personally I'm loving everything I'm hearing about this film. I have real confidence in Black and Dekker.

Quote from: The Wolverine Predator on Jan 24, 2017, 08:53:06 PM

It's no worries.  :)

XENOMORPHOSIS

So much curiosity as to what this movie entail, all being well its consistent with the Predator lore while still adding to it.

echobbase79

@ Hicks,

Will the site do an interview with Fred Dekker down the road? I think that would be fun.

Predator_Spirit

The hardcore purists are waiting Fred  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: echobbase79 on Jan 24, 2017, 09:20:28 PM
Will the site do an interview with Fred Dekker down the road? I think that would be fun.

With any luck. :)

Kurai

I don't think I've ever seen a Predator use a shuriken in the films, that's a ninja weapon rather than an alien hunter weapon. From that little bit I think we can hope to see quite a bit of of Japanese inspired Predator weaponry and styling in the movie.

Has the Naginata ever been used by a Predator outside the expanded universe? I can't remember... Either way, I think it's a nice shift considering the Predators in "Predators" had their roots in European hunting styles.

Infected

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 24, 2017, 08:55:34 PM
Quote from: Infected on Jan 24, 2017, 08:52:56 PM

Exactly. It's impossible to please everyone and to be aware of that and just go with what you want to make is the best way. I really hope this mean we aren't getting any reused dialogue as fan winking. lol Personally I'm loving everything I'm hearing about this film. I have real confidence in Black and Dekker.

Quote from: The Wolverine Predator on Jan 24, 2017, 08:53:06 PM

It's no worries.  :)
Im now mostly curious on what Black is gonna bring us, after all he played a part in the original one, as when i watch the making off Predator, you can easily say the actors were a little like the dirty dozen, each of them with there own character and personality,
so im very curious on what Black is gonna deliver, as a part of the franchise as a director/writer and as a predator fan/visionaire.
It certainly wont be an Iron Man 3 that im sure of by now.
So lets start the show.

Quote from: Kurai on Jan 24, 2017, 09:32:31 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a Predator use a shuriken in the films, that's a ninja weapon rather than an alien hunter weapon. From that little bit I think we can hope to see quite a bit of of Japanese inspired Predator weaponry and styling in the movie.

Has the Naginata ever been used by a Predator outside the expanded universe? I can't remember... Either way, I think it's a nice shift considering the Predators in "Predators" had their roots in European hunting styles.
Besides the disc in P2 i can only think of the AVP shuriken.

SiL

Quote from: Kurai on Jan 24, 2017, 09:32:31 PM
The smart disc and AvP throwing stars were both referred to as shurikens by fans in the past.

Scorpio

The smart disc looks more like a frisbee than a shuriken.

SiL

I'd say chakram, but sure.

Nixon

Nixon

i think it will be amazing as the last ,even better,nice job,good idea,greetings from Barranquilla,Colombia

BishopShouldGo

Jesus Christ lol. Fred just say wrist-blades next time.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed