"That’s in process" - Ridley on Next Alien Prequel

Started by Stolen, Sep 02, 2020, 07:24:59 PM

Author
"That’s in process" - Ridley on Next Alien Prequel (Read 64,364 times)

BlueMarsalis79

Jonathan Glazer might take a good fifteen years to make anything though.

And I'd love it, but I think I'd already know what it might be if that makes sense? Even his Live With Me video for Massive Attack tackles similar themes to Under The Skin.

Kimarhi

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 06, 2022, 12:04:09 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 06, 2022, 04:36:20 AM
Because looking at a rock painting and somehow acquiring astro coordinates is high art. 

Oh, I'm much more referring to Covenant here than Prometheus. Prometheus is my least favorite of the six films. Interesting ideas, beautiful cinematography, and a godawful script and even worse editing...

I don't think every single Ridley touches is gold, but I do think he's consistently interesting, I love Covenant, and he's been on a real hot streak with The Last Duel and House of Gucci. I want to see him get to bring his vision to a close, even if the specifics of that vision are in flux every time a new idea interests him.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 06, 2022, 04:36:20 AM
Somebody get Denis V to do an Alien movie before he's twenty more years into his career and goes wild like Scott. 

I really love Denis, but I think his style is a bit too sterile for this particular world.

Jennifer Kent and Jonathan Glazer are names that come to mind as people who would make very intetesting Alien movies.

The fact that I must acknowledge Prometheus in relation to Covenant is what irks me.

It is funny though, stylistically I thought that Covenant was the most sterile looking film out of all the Alien main movies.  It is better when they are planet side but I remember thinking that the space scenes didn't have Scott's typical well used look.

I personally don't think we will get well established directors in the Alien verse anymore.  Just because directors and writers are going to see how Scott has wrote them into a corner. 

They do something unrelated to the prequels and people will bitch about leaving the prequels unfinished.  They do something in the prequels and people will bitch because they are the prequels.  They reboot the franchise and people will bitch because of the reboot. 

BlueMarsalis79

I don't think anyone's complaining now, we are getting a completely standalone Alien film, a Predator film soon, and a TV Series, what reasonably more could you ask for other than also a theatrical conclusion to the prequels?

Immortan Jonesy

A couple of years ago, some people were afraid that with the purchase of FOX, the IPs were going to be frozen for years. Now we have all these projects underway and people are still afraid.  :laugh:

Still, it's true that Disney's handling of STAR Wars is questionable, Monsters belong on the big screen and a conclusion to the prequels has its appeal.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 06, 2022, 04:29:44 PM
I don't think anyone's complaining now, we are getting a completely standalone Alien film, a Predator film soon, and a TV Series, what reasonably more could you ask for other than also a theatrical conclusion to the prequels?

A reset on AvP, set in the future with Muhreenz.

But at this rate, that'll be announced in a week or two.

Immortan Jonesy

I wonder if Disney would be crazy enough to make an animated AVP movie from the Predator's point of view. I mean, they're the main characters. There would be human in between of course. But our hero/heroine is a Predator.

Kradan

Would be neat

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Mar 06, 2022, 06:57:48 PM
I wonder if Disney would be crazy enough to make an animated AVP movie from the Predator's point of view. I mean, they're the main characters. There would be human in between of course. But our hero/heroine is a Predator.

That was probably one of them anime things that got shelved tbh.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Mar 06, 2022, 07:52:08 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Mar 06, 2022, 06:57:48 PM

That was probably one of them anime things that got shelved tbh.

True that.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Mar 06, 2022, 05:22:27 PM
A couple of years ago, some people were afraid that with the purchase of FOX, the IPs were going to be frozen for years. Now we have all these projects underway and people are still afraid.  :laugh:

Still, it's true that Disney's handling of STAR Wars is questionable, Monsters belong on the big screen and a conclusion to the prequels has its appeal.

I'll believe it when I see it on the small screen.  Alien series might have the most announced, unannounced and mysteriously disappearing sequels in all of moviedom. 

Nightmare Asylum

And half of them are named Alien 3. :laugh:

Kimarhi

Many Alien V's as well. 

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 06, 2022, 03:34:54 PMI personally don't think we will get well established directors in the Alien verse anymore.  Just because directors and writers are going to see how Scott has wrote them into a corner.

Scott's not the issue going forward, Disney is.  Anyone who thinks that Disney are going to allow interesting directors to do something artistic and bold with the series are kidding themselves.  Disney is not a director's studio.  They are notorious for hiring directors who will tow the line and follow the suits' will, lest they be given marching orders and replaced.  Heck, Ridley Scott himself said that he would never direct a Star Wars movie under Disney for that exact reason...

Quote"No, no. I'm too dangerous for that. Because I know what I'm doing. [Laughs.] I think they like to be in control, and I like to be in control myself. When you get a guy who's done a low-budget movie and you suddenly give him $180 million, it makes no sense whatsoever. It's f---in' stupid. You know what the reshoots cost? Millions! Millions. You can get me for my fee, which is heavy, but I'll be under budget and on time. This is where experience does matter, it's as simple as that! It can make you dull as dishwater, but if you're really experienced and you know what you're doing, it's f---ing essential. Grow into it, little by little. Start low-budget, get a little bit bigger, maybe after $20 million, you can go to $80. But don't suddenly go to $160."

Disney like to hire up and coming directors, with good critical notices for their indie films, and put them to work on tentpole franchise movies.  The caveat being that said directors have no freedom to actually be creative (which is preciously why they go for critically respected but relatively low key, less renowned directors; because they are more easily controlled).  They are there to execute Disney's vision.  You can expect all of the Alien projects to be safe, market focused and bland from this point forward.  Disney can talk the talk about how a newly announced Alien movie is daring, unique or different all they want.  It's BS; nowt but PR speak.  It won't be, because Disney are pulling the strings and Disney is in the business of exploiting intellectual properties and casting their net as wide as possible across the audience demographics.  Bland, 'member berries mulch is what you can expect from here on out.

Kimarhi

Disney knows how to make money. 

Prometheus tie into Alien and there being no Alien standalone movie for more than a decade got them their sales on that picture.  After people saw how underwhelming Covenant was and spread word of mouth, Covenant sales tanked. 

Sometimes you can go to experiential, and during covenant I was sitting behind some teens who were practically rolling their eyes and trash talking the movie at the Walter and David scenes.

It needs to be brought down to earth a little bit or common fan isn't going to watch them.  And common fan outnumbers Alien fan by quite a bit, and common fan is what sales pictures. 

I think they will keep the Fox label to release R rated pictures and people just wont know now that Fox is Disney, so people won't expect Disney blockbuster for every film.  This might let them be a little bit less controlling, since R rated films by their nature are shown to LESS people than PG13 so they shouldn't be expecting as huge of returns.

If Disney releases Aliens as Disney pictures then yes, the Alien as we know it is over. 

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 06, 2022, 11:58:37 PM
Disney knows how to make money. 

Prometheus tie into Alien and there being no Alien standalone movie for more than a decade got them their sales on that picture.  After people saw how underwhelming Covenant was and spread word of mouth, Covenant sales tanked. 

Sometimes you can go to experiential, and during covenant I was sitting behind some teens who were practically rolling their eyes and trash talking the movie at the Walter and David scenes.

You can bemoan the prequels all you want (and believe me, I'll join you because I am not a fan), but at least they tried to do something different and move the series in a fresh direction.  The problem wasn't the boldness of doing something different (such as exploring the mystery of the Space Jockey species), it was the execution.  You can kiss such bold, fresh takes - good or bad - goodbye, now that The Mouse is in charge.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 06, 2022, 11:58:37 PMI think they will keep the Fox label to release R rated pictures and people just wont know now that Fox is Disney, so people won't expect Disney blockbuster for every film.  This might let them be a little bit less controlling, since R rated films by their nature are shown to LESS people than PG13 so they shouldn't be expecting as huge of returns.

If Disney releases Aliens as Disney pictures then yes, the Alien as we know it is over.

Yeah, but also note that Star Wars is Lucasfilm, not Disney directly.  It's still Disney though and you can expect them to ruin Alien in the same way that they've ruined Star Wars; oversaturation of releases (a TV series and a film already announced) and said releases being as safe and by the numbers as possible.

As you say though, The Mouse certainly knows how to make money; by appealing to the lowest common denominator.  Plenty of people love the Star Wars sequel trilogy or the Star Wars TV series (beyond my comprehension as to why exactly because they're all unequivocally trash) and plenty of people just want to see the same thing they've seen a thousand times before, regurgitated onscreen via 'member berries, so yeah, I'm sure Disney will do very well with the Alien franchise in terms of making money.  I don't care about money though.  I care about artistic expression, over commercial considerations, when it comes to making a film and that's almost certainly not what we'll be getting from here on out.

You want to see what Disney will do with Alien?  Look at Star Wars or Marvel.  It's EXACTLY the same approach they'll take (just on a smaller level).  Some will be happy enough with that.  I sure as shit won't though.  I appreciate art, not cOnSoOmInG cOnTeNt.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed