The Predator Set Reports

Started by ace3g, Apr 07, 2018, 02:54:30 PM

Author
The Predator Set Reports (Read 47,396 times)

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Yep, and that is why the DNA thing and that character are problems that are fundamental to the script, and cause damage to the Predator character as a whole.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Xerxész on May 27, 2018, 06:34:43 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 27, 2018, 12:58:53 PM
Spoiler
The upgrade has a little "chat" with McKenna, and i thought it was kinda cool, but it's possible they scrapped it because it was in the third act
[close]

Spoiler
Yes, but the Upgrade says words only, as the friendlies.

McKenna: Who are you? What are you?
Upgrade: I...Warrior. You?
M: Same.
U: Warrior. New breed (pointing to Rory).

What a "chat"! ;D Anyway, that's OK, I think. I don't want grammer-perfect deep conversations between a human and a Predator.

But I think they did not scrap that part. Actually it is the reveal of the film's top "surprise" when it turns out that Rory is the most "advanced" of the human race (I know it can be found out earlier when the Upgrade takes Rory to the ship...but this is the moment when the film clearly tells).
No way this is left out from the final version of the script.
[close]

Spoiler
I actually hope they take this part out.  I thought it was super duper cringey  :-X
[close]

Quote from: PredBabe on May 27, 2018, 04:34:12 AM
Quote from: Wysps on May 26, 2018, 04:09:54 PM
Hoping we'll get more vocalizations along with those expressions.  Maybe even a "conversation" of sorts between some of them...hell even just a few words.

Spoiler
I think the friendly preds have a translator of some kind to communicate with people. It would be neat to see the preds vocalize with each other, which seems to be a good possibility given all that is going on with the story.[\spoiler]
[close]

This is what I'm hoping for!  Actual conversations between the predators themselves.  Even if it's broken and roughly translated, it would be cool to witness communication between them since all we've had so far have been grunts and snarls.  (Though who knows, maybe that is language to them.)  But knowing what they're actually saying to each other would be kickass. 

The Old One

The Old One

Glad we're at least getting something different from a competent director, hopefully that was just the worst trailer for this series so far.

So Hybridisation, Predator's speaking and tapping in the Alien technology of the Predator all depends upon execution.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Quote from: Wysps on May 28, 2018, 03:17:49 AM
Quote from: Xerxész on May 27, 2018, 06:34:43 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 27, 2018, 12:58:53 PM
Spoiler
The upgrade has a little "chat" with McKenna, and i thought it was kinda cool, but it's possible they scrapped it because it was in the third act
[close]

Spoiler
Yes, but the Upgrade says words only, as the friendlies.

McKenna: Who are you? What are you?
Upgrade: I...Warrior. You?
M: Same.
U: Warrior. New breed (pointing to Rory).

What a "chat"! ;D Anyway, that's OK, I think. I don't want grammer-perfect deep conversations between a human and a Predator.

But I think they did not scrap that part. Actually it is the reveal of the film's top "surprise" when it turns out that Rory is the most "advanced" of the human race (I know it can be found out earlier when the Upgrade takes Rory to the ship...but this is the moment when the film clearly tells).
No way this is left out from the final version of the script.
[close]

Spoiler
I actually hope they take this part out.  I thought it was super duper cringey  :-X
[close]

Quote from: PredBabe on May 27, 2018, 04:34:12 AM
Quote from: Wysps on May 26, 2018, 04:09:54 PM
Hoping we'll get more vocalizations along with those expressions.  Maybe even a "conversation" of sorts between some of them...hell even just a few words.

Spoiler
I think the friendly preds have a translator of some kind to communicate with people. It would be neat to see the preds vocalize with each other, which seems to be a good possibility given all that is going on with the story.[\spoiler]
[close]

This is what I'm hoping for!  Actual conversations between the predators themselves.  Even if it's broken and roughly translated, it would be cool to witness communication between them since all we've had so far have been grunts and snarls.  (Though who knows, maybe that is language to them.)  But knowing what they're actually saying to each other would be kickass. 
Oh god no...

The Old One

The Old One

Predator was always destined to eventually develop them too much so that Predators are essentially humans that look different.

Not saying this wouldn't have happened anyway but if Predator had tried to make it's own identity after Predator 2, or take Predator 2 a little further with a futuristic urban Earth, with its own series identity just beyond the creature itself. Predator would have a world to explore that's not just the creature.
Or riding on the coatails of the Alien universe and making the universe of both of them so much smaller due to that.

IMO do that, then slowly combine it with Alien, (With hints of Blade Runner, not direct connections other than global conglomerates or vehicles.) Then you have a cinematic universe that far and away supersedes that of any other.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Point is, they don't have to. Some of the AvP novels did, but most of the Predator comics broadened the horizon and added stuff without overly humanizing them and keeping them in a shroud of mystery.

It's really not that hard.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: skull-splitter on May 28, 2018, 09:00:18 AM
Point is, they don't have to.

Humanise them? Because I agree but they refuse to give the Predator an identity beyond the creature and that's the reason ultimately for said humanisation.

/The bigger badder version of said creature syndrome.

Wysps

Wysps

Point is, they don't have to. Some of the AvP novels did, but most of the Predator comics broadened the horizon and added stuff without overly humanizing them and keeping them in a shroud of mystery.

I don't see how witnessing communication between them is humanizing them (which btw I'm a big proponent of keeping them "otherly"), unless you're referring to something else...

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Quote from: Wysps on May 28, 2018, 06:13:51 PM

I don't see how witnessing communication between them is humanizing them (which btw I'm a big proponent of keeping them "otherly"), unless you're referring to something else...
It's not just communication (everything ís communication), it's the way it's presented. Classic in Predators communicated the way I expect them to, this takes it to another level.

Demystifying the monsters by giving them overly human traits, like it happened in some novels, is what takes away the threat, although I'm afraid that ship sailed long ago.

ace3g

Corporal Hicks

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

Quote from: skull-splitter on May 28, 2018, 07:27:06 PM
Quote from: Wysps on May 28, 2018, 06:13:51 PM

It's not just communication (everything ís communication), it's the way it's presented. Classic in Predators communicated the way I expect them to, this takes it to another level.

Demystifying the monsters by giving them overly human traits, like it happened in some novels, is what takes away the threat, although I'm afraid that ship sailed long ago.

this
I really hope there won't be conversation, especially not between the two different species.
Even if the presentation is kind of all right, it can be such a letdown, like in avp 2010, where it sounded so generic "weird alien voice"
some things are just better untouched. For me this topic is one of them about predators.

yautjapet

yautjapet

I'm actually seriously hoping to see communication between the predators. For a long time I've been dying to know how their language sounds, both to the ear and as far as their syntax, vocabulary, and style in talking to each other. I don't think that's humanizing them, or making them less frightening or less badass. In a universe where intelligent alien life exists, humans certainly wouldn't have a monopoly on language... and I think fleshing them out a bit into more individual characters is far more interesting than just "big monster the humans have to fight." And I love the moments we've seen in the past where the preds and humans have some interaction or exchange beyond just fighting, so any interspecies communication would be icing on the cake for me.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Can't agree with that at all.

The scene at the end of Predator 2 is all we ever need to see of Predator interaction. A few gutteral noises, and everything else done with body language, glances, bowing of heads.

Maintain the mystery.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed